Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attn: Parents and Kids !  (Read 3818 times)
1Scorpion
Contributing Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 04, 2007, 07:32:54 PM »

This post is not to lecture but PLEASE give it a little thought. I was riding Sat. in Ocala riding with some freinds. We were not hauling a$$ but we were at at moderate speed on the right side of trail. A habit from driving I guess. Any ways as we turned a blind right turn I came very close to having a head on collision with a small child on a 90 cc or smaller quad. I'm guess his or her parents were about 100 yds or further behind. Please teach the little ones to try to stay on the right or maybe to be on the lookout for other riders. This child did not even see me till he or she almost ran into me and by then I was stopped and almost totaly off the the trail. Being a Grandfather I could not help but think what a terrible wreck this could have been.  Thank you for taking the time to read this.
cheropride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 02:49:24 PM »

My son drives a 90 and we always put him in the middle of us, either my husband in front or me. Never in the back, never in the front.  I know of a few trails where I ride, and I hate blind turns.  Everyone should always slow down at a blind turn, it is just too freaky.  Also, please keep in mind when you pass people, we can't always hear you behind us.  I always try to keep looking back, because even though we may be on the correct side, sometimes you have to move over due to another vehichle or something on the trail.  So many times, I have people come flying by us so fast, one moment I look back, see nothing, next minute, they are flying by us.  That really irriates me, one can never assume what another rider is going to do.  If I see another rider, I either move over or if there isn't room I get to place that I can stop.  Every rider must pay attention around other riders. 

Remember when you see a kid, they don't think they way we do.  They can get so caught up in the moment, that they don't realize that another rider is coming up. 

Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP
1Scorpion
Contributing Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 04:40:07 PM »

I couldn't agree more. Most riders I've seen have been very polite. That's why I posted this. However not everyone out there is always paying attention . We all have to look out for the little ones I can't wait till my Granddaughter starts to ride.
cheropride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 04:44:37 PM »

I hear you, and though it's a great time, it can be nerve racking at times too. Like I said, always in the middle, always....  How old is your granddaughter, bet she can't wait either.... Tongue

Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP
1Scorpion
Contributing Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 08:07:39 PM »

She's 8 going on 18 LOL Yeah she is in a hurry to ride but she is also scared.
Eworm
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 12:06:49 PM »

Agreed!!! My 5 year old is ripping it already and you start to think about these things more and more.
cheropride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 09:19:05 PM »

She's 8 going on 18 LOL Yeah she is in a hurry to ride but she is also scared.

Mine is 8, he has been riding since he was 6. Now, he is an awesome rider, he takes his time, and pays good attention.  Very proud of him.  Just takes constant reinforcement, and leading by example.  So I say, time to get her one....  I had horses when I was young, started to ride around 3 or 4, and you know what, you have less controll of an animal than you do a 4 wheeler, but you really got to start them off slow and stay slow.  I am always perfectly honest with the dangers of riding, when I hear of someone injured or even killed, I tell him.  Why, so he knows, what he is doing is a serious thing, and he must use care and caution. 

I am so proud of the way he rides, it's kind of funny though, when he see's someone go flying by, he will look at me, and say, "you know what's next don't you, splat."  That's the way he needs to look at it, speed and not using safety can kill, and he does use due care.  Like I said, though, we make sure he is not in harms way of other riders.

Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP
Dewey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 11:57:37 AM »

When we used to ride in Wisconsin, everyone used hand signals. If you encountered someone head-on coming your way, you'd both slow down and put up the amount of fingers equivalent to the number of riders  behind you in your group. It works as a greeting and as a caution. You can leave both hands on the handlebars and do this. Then everyone in the group does the same thing as you pass [if you want]. The last rider puts up a closed fist indicating noone behind them . This work especially well when folks aren't riding very tightly packed together. Youngsters really think this is cool. Dewey
bmd11

Location: Waitin' for the green light to drop at the Motoplex!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 04:08:55 PM »

That's an interesting concept, but I don't think there is enough riders out there with the courtesy to ride like that. Most of the times when we ride trails most people are friendly, but you get the occaisonal jerk that just blasts right through without warning. Yes, you have to start teaching the children early the rules of the road - or trails. Also, don't let the kids ride above their experience. I let my little guy get loose too soon - well $5,000 and a broken funny bone later - I've learned to make better decisions for them. I agree, lead by example! They'll thank you for it later! And please make the little ones wear the proper riding gear! Helmets are so important!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 04:11:07 PM by bmd11 » Logged

'92 LT250R #11- Sold * * * '96 LT80 #24- For sale * * * '87 LT80 #16- For sale
qt314nfla

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 04:18:04 PM »

I generally use a similar set of hand signals on the trail.  It'd be nice if others would use a universal hand signal and both parties slow down when approaching each other.  We always keep our friends kids in the middle on our rides we always know we can regulate their speed that way.  It's been nice most of the time when we ride both parties will steer off the trail until the lead persons decide who will get the right of way.

We are required to use 6' flags at a property I ride.  I've found this to be one of the best safety devices out there.  You always know when someone is coming and you can keep track more easily of who's behind you in the group.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com