Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some Questions...  (Read 1713 times)
Dustin_89

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 28, 2007, 08:59:42 PM »

I got the 440 kit for a honda 400ex. It came with a rev box, stage 3 cam, new cam chain, piston, sleeve and everything i need. I was wonder if i would have to get the dyno jet kit for my carb and get a new muffler and headers. Also on the timing. Also can anyone explane how to set timing on it?
Chuck_Norris

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 07:41:29 AM »

I got the 440 kit for a honda 400ex. It came with a rev box, stage 3 cam, new cam chain, piston, sleeve and everything i need. I was wonder if i would have to get the dyno jet kit for my carb and get a new muffler and headers. Also on the timing. Also can anyone explane how to set timing on it?
Give mike(nightbreed) or melissa(mrs nightbreed) a shout at ATP. 
xr100racer

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 01:04:39 PM »

Intake and exhaust is not required. You will see a large improvement though, especially since you are using such a radical cam. The increase in power will be greater in a built motor as oppossed to a stock one. You will acctaully see a larger improvement from a full system and filter than the 440 kit by itself. You will need to re-jet with pipe and filter for sure, ask the company who sent you the 440 kit if you need to jet for that alone.

To set the timming you will need to put the piston at TDC, there should be a cover on the left-hand side of your motor that you will need to screw off. This cover lets you see the markings on the flywheel, there should also be a larger cover to slide a socket in so you can spin your crank. When you are putting it back together you will need to spin the crank counter-clockwise untill the markings on the flywheel line up. Then you will need to install your cam with the lobes facing down, also you need to line up the markings on the cam gear to be parallel with the side of the head. Every motor is a little different but thats the best I can describe how to do it without ever working on a 400ex. Maybe a fellow honda owner can help you out with that, there should be instructions that came with the cam on how to install that correctly. You probably wouldnt be able to use my instructions alone to do it but it gives you an idea of whats involved.

Whats the compression ratio on your new piston and do you need to install a valve spring kit with the stg.3 ?
Dustin_89

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 03:30:35 PM »

the ratio is 11:1. i got this one because i herd people saying that you can still run 93 in it just fine. and about the springs and valves, ill leave them stock for right now. im going to get aftermarket ones for them later.
xr100racer

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 05:28:32 PM »

Yeah, you should be able to run 93 just fine with 11:1

I dont know about your bike but with my raptor you must run stiffer springs with a stg.2 cam or higher, so you might want to look into that
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com