Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: i need help with my computer!  (Read 4251 times)
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2007, 02:03:06 PM »

ok, i have bellsouth DSL internet. it has a westell wireless modem. i have a linksys wireless internet router to use with my ps2 and eventually a 360. the problem is, i cant get the modem and the router to work together. it always says the router cant find the internet. the computer will be plugged into the router and the games and a laptop will be the only thing wireless. if anyone else has done this or knows how to do it, please let me know. thanks.
gery350
Supreme Member

no guts, no glory

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 02:08:48 PM »

oh man i just went through that with a linksys wrt54gx4 with srx400.
wouldnt ping. after 2 routers and 6 calls with linksys they told me it wasnt compatible with my westell modem. take it back and get a diff. model. ended up getting a belkin and installed it in 5 minutes.
make sure you can ping the router. ida could probably help ya.

hey this is klutchbuster350, me and rl400*mostly rl400* made my dad this sig. now lets see how long it takes him to notice lol
hey while im here...........klutchbuster rules!!!!!!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 02:53:56 PM »

never dealt with westell, but I could possibly walk you through what to do over the phone.

first things first, do you know how to get to the configuration page for your router?

Id@

ps: I'll be out of touch till probably 9pm tonight after this and a couple more posts.

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 03:32:04 PM »

oh man i just went through that with a linksys wrt54gx4 with srx400.
wouldnt ping. after 2 routers and 6 calls with linksys they told me it wasnt compatible with my westell modem. take it back and get a diff. model. ended up getting a belkin and installed it in 5 minutes.
make sure you can ping the router. ida could probably help ya.

what kind of belkin?

never dealt with westell, but I could possibly walk you through what to do over the phone.

first things first, do you know how to get to the configuration page for your router?

Id@

ps: I'll be out of touch till probably 9pm tonight after this and a couple more posts.

well, it was working. we had a power surge that messed it up. a friend hooked it up before though. it didnt want to work then. he is a computer tech and it took him 2 hours to figure it out. so im screwed. i had to hit reset on the modem and just run the computer and no router. but i want it hooked up again and cant get it to work. we have a linksys WRT54G router. should i get a different one? i mean, for all i know it might be zapped.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2470291

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3756946

are either of these good? i perfer the first one cause of the price if it will work. let me know what you think.
gery350
Supreme Member

no guts, no glory

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 03:46:19 PM »

ok quick check:

go to run.
type cmd<enter>
type ipconfig<enter>

write down info(ipaddress,gateway,etc.)

type ping  (whatever your default gateway is-192.168.1.1)

check the response see if it receives the packets.
thats what i had to do and it wouldnt ping so they told me to get another one.
another thing u could try is a hard reset on the router.
hold the reset button for 40 seconds and then try it. it owrked for me one time.
good luck

hey this is klutchbuster350, me and rl400*mostly rl400* made my dad this sig. now lets see how long it takes him to notice lol
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 03:58:30 PM »

well, how did you steup the belkin one? was it just a plug in and work tyoe thing or was it hard too? and which one did you get?

i tried what you said and it came up with some thing about it didnt recognize it or something.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 04:04:43 PM by Fox17 » Logged
gery350
Supreme Member

no guts, no glory

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 04:09:31 PM »

i got the belkin mimo gplus. it got mixed reviews but i installed it in less then 5 minutes and ive had it for 3 days now and so far so good. works all around my house and mantains 54mpbs. again ive only had it for 3 days now.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7241068&type=product&id=1115364694550&ref=06&loc=01

Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 04:11:34 PM »

i got the belkin mimo gplus. it got mixed reviews but i installed it in less then 5 minutes and ive had it for 3 days now and so far so good. works all around my house and mantains 54mpbs. again ive only had it for 3 days now.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7241068&type=product&id=1115364694550&ref=06&loc=01

which westell modem do you have?
gery350
Supreme Member

no guts, no glory

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 04:21:29 PM »

oh man you got me. im not at home but its a dsl modem. when jesse gets online u can ask him.

but it looks like this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Westell-DSL-Modem-A90-210015-04_W0QQitemZ170071789456QQcmdZViewItem

Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 04:33:42 PM »

mine is a wirespeed. it says wirespeed on the front. so it is different but looks similar. hmmm....
gery350
Supreme Member

no guts, no glory

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 04:41:58 PM »

ill check when i get home tonight and let ya know exactly which one i have.

Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 05:11:59 PM »

ok. thanks. im gonna call my friend and ask him if he can tell me exactly what he did and if he will come look at it.

if anyone has a idea, please let me know. thanks.
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 06:18:37 PM »

Hey I have almost the same thing as you. The problem with mine was that the Router and Modem are on the same general ip. For example 192.45.67.8 and 192.32.65.7. But you might want to call the Geek Squad. They are extremly helpful and can help you out on the phone most of the time. When I bought my laptop we converted to wireless and they came out and hooked it up for us. If your friend cant figure it out then try giving them a call before you buy a whole new router and run the risk of having it not work. Also, you might want to try and reset the router and modem. Do this before you call because its the first thing they ask you to do. Ok, you know the 2 power cords for the router and modem? Unplug both of them and wait about a minute. Plug in the white modem box first. Wait untill the power and redy buttons are done blinking and stay green. Then plug in the router and wait for all its buttons to come up. Then try it. If that doenst work then give them a call:  433-5778. Belive it or not, you actally get a human. Pretty cool. Call them and see if they can help you or possibly get an appoitment for them to come out  and hook your stuff up because it is possible.

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 08:42:04 PM »

don't go out and buy anything yet,,,,,,,I have the same router and it got zapped by lightning a while back,,,,are there any lights on it at all?

if there are some lights and they look normal your router I'm sure is OK.

It only takes figuring out the settings to get things working again and I may be able to help you remotely.

If it is a setting on the router that needs changing, I can do that over your internet connection, but I doubt it.  If it's a setting on your laptop, I could probably still help without having the computer in front of me.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

'00 Honda TRX90
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 11:39:58 PM »

don't go out and buy anything yet,,,,,,,I have the same router and it got zapped by lightning a while back,,,,are there any lights on it at all?

if there are some lights and they look normal your router I'm sure is OK.

It only takes figuring out the settings to get things working again and I may be able to help you remotely.

If it is a setting on the router that needs changing, I can do that over your internet connection, but I doubt it.  If it's a setting on your laptop, I could probably still help without having the computer in front of me.

Id@

all the lights work. it just got reset i think. the settings are screwed. and we dont have a laptop yet, but my sister is about to buy one. the problem is, when i hook the modem to the router and the router to the pc, the router doesnt get the internet passed to it. the communication between the router and modem is screwed i think. i was lookin at the bellsouth FAQ and it said something about bridge mode?? what is that. it said that in the thing about using a router with a westell wirespeed modem (which is the one we have). my friend that came and set it up said he had to change the modem settings and the router settings for them to work together.
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2007, 12:17:11 AM »

Like I said, the router and the modem are probably the same ip. Therefore they cant talk. Its like trying to plug something untill itself. You need to get your friend or call the geek squad. They know how to fix all that. Trust me, dont be a hero. You'll just screw it up more. Let somebody that knows what they are doing help you out.

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2007, 07:55:46 AM »

Like I said, the router and the modem are probably the same ip. Therefore they cant talk. Its like trying to plug something untill itself. You need to get your friend or call the geek squad. They know how to fix all that. Trust me, dont be a hero. You'll just screw it up more. Let somebody that knows what they are doing help you out.

My former boss and I are starting up an after-hours "geek squad" type business, and I could come out if you need.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

'00 Honda TRX90
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2007, 09:35:30 AM »

im not gonna try to do anything unless someone tells me exactly what to do for every step.
dnigels

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2007, 02:32:47 PM »

I have a similar set-up and went through the same thing (beyond my ability to fix) my buddy fixed it though and said in essence that both the modem and the router were sending IP addresses (I would see multiple web addresses alternating in the web address window) to the computer and eventually the computer can't handle it anymore.  He disabled this function to one of the devices and everything has worked great since.

'06 Yamaha 350 Wolverine
'06 Yamaha PW80
'07 Chevy Silverado 1500 Ext.cab
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2007, 06:47:56 PM »

I have a similar set-up and went through the same thing (beyond my ability to fix) my buddy fixed it though and said in essence that both the modem and the router were sending IP addresses (I would see multiple web addresses alternating in the web address window) to the computer and eventually the computer can't handle it anymore.  He disabled this function to one of the devices and everything has worked great since.

this was going to be the first thing I looked at,,,,,sounds to me like what's wrong here.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

'00 Honda TRX90
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com