Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with the Trails?  (Read 20320 times)
GrizzlyBear
Supreme Member

ONFA President, Florida OHV Rec Committee Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: January 12, 2007, 03:46:16 PM »

Please do not use this topic to start any discussions.  This topic is for the purpose of noting any real problems and any missing trail markers.  There are not enough of us yet to ride every trail every week,  for this we need your help.  If you are riding and you feel there is a problem, or you think a new trail marker is needed, please note the position on your GPS and when you get back, post the problem and its location here.  We will try to get that problem fixed asap.  The new Swego trail dozer is expected to arrive by the end of this month and they will start training volunteers immediately. This week the southern part of the longleaf trail was groomed and many branches that made the pipeline trail narrow were removed.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 04:41:41 PM by GrizzlyBear » Logged

2006 Rhino Special Edition
2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org
Old_School
Supreme Member

It ain't fast without mixed gas....

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 01:00:29 PM »

I went to ONF last weekend and I found out on numerous occasions that when I would head down a legal trail it would end up in an area that is illegal to ride in. Sorry don't have any GPS coordinates. Any the only way I found out it was illegal is when I saw the signs posted once I was there for a few minutes. I think that the rangers can't mark all the trails but just get the ones that they think will get traveled on the most.  -Mark

90' LT500R Quadzilla
Breathing fire and crushing cities

92' LT250R Quadracer
Some stuff done. 75+mph (Sold)

"When this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious $%#!" - Christopher Lloyd
GrizzlyBear
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 01:07:03 PM »

Mark,

the idea of the trail system is if it is marked with a brown carsite post, it is open.  If you do not run into a post about every 1/4 mile, you made a wrong turn and should go back.  We know some post are being removed, that is why we are asking for help.  We are marking all the trails that are legal.

2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 11:46:48 PM »

Yeah they were all pretty well marked. But there was one where the yellow trail pointed straight ahead and right next to the post it said that it was a restricted area... It made us think for a second but we went ahead anyway. That might confuse some people but other then that it was great. Its so nice being able to plan your entire ride without a GPS.

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
Yamahonda41

Born to ride!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 09:21:30 PM »

12 of us just rode Longleaf and Pipeline this Labor Day weekend.  I will post my opinions of our ride in another thread.  One problem I found was that the Yellow markers South of Delancy campground made a turn North toward the lake with no other choice but U-turn at the water's edge.  Nice view but not sure if this was designed or not.  When backtracking we met another group that made the same "mistake" if it was one. 

N29.42025 W81.76405 is where we turned around.  The marker was about here - N29.41485 W81.76283.

The other place was just a bad section of the pipeline trail that was just no fun at all due to all the whoops.  I set a waypoint close to the end.  We were heading East on the Northernmost section of the Pipeline.  The waypoint I set was:

N29.42544 W81.82978

Thanks GrizzlyBear for your efforts!

2004 Kawasaki VForce 700
2004 Honda 300EX
2001 Honda 300EX FMF Pipe, Holeshots
2000 Yamaha Warrior Maxxis Razr's
1989 Honda CR125 - Pro Circuit pipe
GrizzlyBear
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 12:23:52 PM »

Forwarded to the USFS on 9/6/7

2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org
rancher1

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 11:56:22 AM »

Way to many blind curves maybe the trails should be one way i mean some of them any way to avoid head on crashes like the main ones heading out to the other trails.
Eworm
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 02:55:10 PM »

Way to many blind curves maybe the trails should be one way i mean some of them any way to avoid head on crashes like the main ones heading out to the other trails.

My cousin was involved in a head on collision and they were going about 5 MPH.....The other rider was doing about 30....It was pretty scary. I wonder if changes will come once someone gets seriously injured in a head on collision out there!!!
SpeedQuest

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 01:27:41 PM »

My cousin was involved in a head on collision and they were going about 5 MPH.....The other rider was doing about 30....It was pretty scary. I wonder if changes will come once someone gets seriously injured in a head on collision out there!!!

Blah, Blah, Blah!

The SKY is falling! The SKY is falling!

Do something constructive about it would you Eworm?  Complaining here does nothing.
Eworm
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 09:55:00 AM »

Blah, Blah, Blah!

Do something constructive about it would you Eworm?  Complaining here does nothing.

Dude are you freagin kidding me? Do you have any idea what I am involved in? READ YOUR PM's and call me....

THE SKY FELL!!!!!! THE SKY FELL!!!!! It is too late for Ocala bonehead!!

BTW I will complain about whatever the heck I want and you nor anyone on here will stop me!!!
SpeedQuest

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 12:38:16 PM »

We rode Wandering Wiregrass three times last week, Sunday, Tuesday and Saturday.  We saw about 3-5 utility quads, 5-6 sport quads, and about 5-8 dirt bikes.

Once again, no Ranger hassles, and no close calls on the trails.  We stopped a few times and chatted with other riders that were out there.  Another great day in the ONF.
Eworm
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 12:44:05 PM »

We rode Wandering Wiregrass three times last week, Sunday, Tuesday and Saturday.  We saw about 3-5 utility quads, 5-6 sport quads, and about 5-8 dirt bikes.

Once again, no Ranger hassles, and no close calls on the trails.  We stopped a few times and chatted with other riders that were out there.  Another great day in the ONF.

Sounds like a great day! Hope they all turn out like that...
D33411

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 07:12:42 PM »

If there is ever a slow day up in ONF, I think it would be very helpful if a volunteer or whoever would ride down the roads and write in sharpie just on the backs of the stop signs at the trails crossing the roads the number of the road you are crossing because a lot of them aren't marked at all and don't have the "you are here" signs and I am constantly saving lost riders out there asking what road they are crossing.  I do it when I am up there, but I am sure it fades over time.  Mail box letters would be better, but I understand budget cuts.  Thanks, Grizzly!  Dawn
D33411

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 07:28:04 PM »

Rancher, I agree that a lot of the trails up there should be one way except maybe the yellow.  Came around a blind corner not wide enough for 2 quads and a guy who had a toddler sitting in front of him on his quad hit me.  If we both weren't going 5 miles an hour I would have broke my leg.
novadave

04 yfz450

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 07:24:04 PM »

Please please please please please could the rangers or volunteers who are working on the trails in north ONF stop flattening the burms. A burm makes it easier to turn sharp corners. Just flatten the whoops not the burm. I was riding this last sunday and who ever is working on the trails is just flattening the berms. And i will say again please please please. Grin

HELP I NEED SOME PLACE TO RIDE!
D33411

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 06:07:15 AM »

We rode the wandering wiregrass on Saturday and a lot of the markers were down or pointed between the 2 trails.  It was confusing.  Thanks.  Dawn
YFZ_450man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 07:24:22 PM »

We rode the trails at Big Scrub last week and I can tell you 95% of the trails were very WHOOPED out. Like the previous post, where is the money going to maintain these trails? we have very limited areas to ride and they can't even keep these maintained. How are the trails at Lake Delancey? my son and I would like to go ride there for the first week in April if they are WHOOPED out I will plan on ridding elsewhere. When are we going to see these trails groomed?Huh?
auctioneer

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 08:26:08 AM »

Blah, Blah, Blah!

once again speedy bump You still living in your Perfect LITTLE WORLD LMAO

2007 rhino 660
2009 Freedom Craft / L-88 427 W/stinger drive airboat
2008 11ft Puddle Buster w/200 angle valve
2004 Wrangler/8in lift
2008 750 Polaris sportsman
2002 F-350 lifted
2008 Rhino 660
1Scorpion
Contributing Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 08:26:36 PM »

I have not ridden in Ocala since Oct. 09 .  I went today and parked at the trailhead on 316. I walked over to the pay station to get the permit. There were only 4 left and no holders. After my wife and I filled them out I just put the tag in my pocket. That only left 2 for anyone else who came along. I got there about 0730 this morning it sure would have pissed me off if I had to drive around trying to do the right thing. If anyone knows who to contact about this please point me in the right direction. If they want people to pay to ride at least make it easy. The trails were in good shape just a couple of small branches in the way and one large black bear. That made the trip worth it.
z71on46s

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 03:05:27 PM »

I agree. My Wife and I just rode the Centennial trail for the first time last weekend and I admit to be a bit nervous on the blind turns. It's not a matter of if someones going to get hurt out there, it's when.  IMO a one way trail would make MUCH more sense. Or just wait until a couple people get killed then consider it. My $.02

Honda Recon 250 (RIP)
Yamaha Big Bear 400
Cannondale Cannibal 440 (RIP)
Honda TRX 450r
Yamaha Rhino 660
Can-Am Outlander 800 Max
cheapthrills

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2010, 10:17:04 AM »

I agree. My Wife and I just rode the Centennial trail for the first time last weekend and I admit to be a bit nervous on the blind turns. It's not a matter of if someones going to get hurt out there, it's when.  IMO a one way trail would make MUCH more sense. Or just wait until a couple people get killed then consider it. My $.02

Besides thinking you might get killed, how was the riding there. I was thinking  of taking my wife there and camping one night. Did you stay the night or just day trip.
z71on46s

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2010, 03:17:31 PM »

Besides thinking you might get killed, how was the riding there. I was thinking  of taking my wife there and camping one night. Did you stay the night or just day trip.

The riding was great IMO. It's not a challenging trail at all but it is well marked and allows to cruise comfortably for the most part. Several blind turns to watch out for though. I would recommend it to anyone in range of Ocala to make a trip out there. We stayed the night out in the woods at about the halfway point on the centennial trail, the campground was cool and had amenities but that's just not our thing. Mid November there is no camping allowed in the woods due to Hunting season. we saw a couple non-poisonous snake, two scorpions and a bunch of Bear tracks. Bears seem to run the place however we never actually go to see one. Put blue sink in the itinerary for sure and theres another sink hole just off the trail if you know where to look as it's not marked.

Honda Recon 250 (RIP)
Yamaha Big Bear 400
Cannondale Cannibal 440 (RIP)
Honda TRX 450r
Yamaha Rhino 660
Can-Am Outlander 800 Max
gtnwood

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2010, 09:11:48 PM »

I must just have somethin in common with them bears, cuz I see em' every time I go out there  Grin

'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition
that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'
(From a Texas A&M student)
2005 Kodiak 450, 26" 589s
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com