Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody ride at Big Cypress Preserve in Naples??  (Read 5035 times)
r6realtor

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 28, 2006, 11:42:37 PM »

Sounds like a great place but the rules about having 7inch tires on the front and 9 inch tires in the rear is kind of bugging me, they say you have to have 7" of tread on the ground when they measure, well a 7 wide tire only has about 5" on the ground, I just purchased my dad a new bike and I don't think his tires are going to work, I don't even think the tires on my rhino will work! anybody have any advise?
thanks r6realtor
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 09:41:32 AM by r6realtor » Logged

2011 Polaris Ranger Pursuit camo 800
27" radial outlaws, diesel wheels 2"emp lift, FTD roof, multi mount winch

2009 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS

2009 Yamaha Grizzly 550

2009 yamaha raptor 700
dirtycruiser

Life is one long weekend!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 04:36:44 PM »

Deflate your tires for the measurement test. then inflate with those mini co2 inflators. I'm looking for info on the area right now. Do you know of their web page?Huh?

2009 Renegade 800r X
2007 Outlander 800 Max LTD
27" Mudlite XTR's on ITP 14" SS212, SS106 rims
Precision Racing Steering Stabilizer
Dobeck Gen 3 electronics
BRP HD front springs
Warn XT 30 winch
HMF Exhaust pipe
Dalton Pro Clutch
Ricochet Skids
K & N filter
Insurance
dirtycruiser

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 05:01:41 PM »

http://www.nps.gov/bicy/planyourvisit/upload/orvrulesmap.pdf

Info on Big Cypress

2009 Renegade 800r X
Dobeck Gen 3 electronics
BRP HD front springs
Warn XT 30 winch
HMF Exhaust pipe
Dalton Pro Clutch
Ricochet Skids
K & N filter
Insurance
dirtycruiser

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 09:17:48 PM »

15 MPH strickly enforced from what I hear.

2009 Renegade 800r X
Dobeck Gen 3 electronics
BRP HD front springs
Warn XT 30 winch
HMF Exhaust pipe
Dalton Pro Clutch
Ricochet Skids
K & N filter
Insurance
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 09:44:57 PM »

Don't sweat it, your Outlander will measure up to their inspection, mine has twice. But, if you're going to ride there, now's the time. It's flooded 8-9 months per year.

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group
JackL
Supreme Member

A enemy generally says and believes what he wishes

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 09:19:30 AM »

Don't sweat it, your Outlander will measure up to their inspection, mine has twice. But, if you're going to ride there, now's the time. It's flooded 8-9 months per year.

Flooded is an understatement. Wink

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
Anoriginal

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 09:51:22 AM »

Best time to ride the preserve is February through May. After that it gets too deep to enjoy any four wheeler. 15 mph speed limit is for real. The rangers will hide off the trails and give you a hefty ticket for speeding. DEsignated trails in most places and more and more heavily enforced. You have four areas to access the preserve. I'd recommend the Oasis for four wheelers.

Regarding the tire size, it really depends on the ranger inspecting the bike. Most will just go off tire size based on what the tire says. However, I have seen people get turned away when the tape measure gets broken out. Lately, they've been measuring actual tread from side to side, not just contact patch. Usually this works out nice.

The rain starts in May. Once you get a few inches on the ground you can completely forget taking the rhino. The water will be over the seat. I've been into my camp in June one time on my four wheeler and will not do it again. It was way too deep.
miassmaro98

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 08:06:18 AM »

well one trick is put your stock tires and wheels back on to past then switch back the good tires and have a nice ride.they told me to do this when i register to ride there

2006 wolverine 450 4x4
25 maxxis mudbugs
2k lb winch

----OFF ROAD DIESEL (RED)FOR SALE 3.50 A GALLON----
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 10:33:05 PM »

well one trick is put your stock tires and wheels back on to past then switch back the good tires and have a nice ride.they told me to do this when i register to ride there

Stocks ain't gonna get you in. Put the big boys on before even showing up to watch the video.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 02:56:35 AM »

The rain starts in May. Once you get a few inches on the ground you can completely forget taking the rhino. The water will be over the seat. I've been into my camp in June one time on my four wheeler and will not do it again. It was way too deep.

Hey, it's May, where is that rain you promised us?

r6realtor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 08:44:04 PM »

thank you all for the info, unfortunately I posted this in december and have not attempted to go there, didn't really want to chance taking the drive just to be turned away. I know the rhino tire size would make it but I was having second thoughts on my dads tires making it. So it sounds like there is only a few months out of the year that you can make it out there, that sucks, but hows the riding?

2009 Yamaha Grizzly 550

2009 yamaha raptor 700
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 02:24:32 PM »

thank you all for the info, unfortunately I posted this in december and have not attempted to go there, didn't really want to chance taking the drive just to be turned away. I know the rhino tire size would make it but I was having second thoughts on my dads tires making it. So it sounds like there is only a few months out of the year that you can make it out there, that sucks, but hows the riding?

This is the very best chance you will ever get to ride it again, unless some freaking asteroid makes Florida a desert. It is as dry as it's been in ten years probably, and won't be like that for another 10.

HVYHLR53

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 09:15:27 PM »

I was there this past weekend with a friend (5th & 6th) and It was nice riding. Unfortunately I wasn't able to take the Rincon due to "technical difficulties", but I did take the Ole Lady's new Rancher with stock tires. Right now Is a good time to ride out there, there was some water but not enough to get stuck in.

The facts: You must bring bike registration or proof of title, tires are measured from tread to tread from the side of the tire, not what is on the ground. Headlamps, taillamps and brake lamps must work as well as all your brakes. You must have a muffler with spark arrester. They take pictures and issue you your permit stickers which must be displayed on the bike. If it is your first time going there you have to sit at the computer for 10 minutes flipping through the Big Cypress story, the same one that is on the web site. Don't worry, its not a test! They will then issue you a license with you pic on it which you have to carry with you. The whole procedure is not as bad as some make it out to be, I think its more of a money thing then anything. The 15 MPH speed limit is real, as far as Tarzan jumping out of the trees with a ticket book I'm not to sure about.

Its a nice relaxing place and some of the trails I dont think you want to do more then 15 MPH anyways. Once we left the camp area we didn't see any people on the trails at all. The trails are about 20 miles one way, some circle around and some dead end which means you have another 20 miles to come back. The scenery is great and its peaceful.

2006 Dodge Ram 1500
2006 Honda Rincon 680 - Mine
2006 Honda Rancher 350 - Hers
2006 Carter Talon GX150IIR - Mini Hers
2005 Honda Recon 250 - Mini Hers
2004 Harley RoadKing FLHPI - Mine
2003 Airboat "Glades" SB Chevy 350 5 Blade Warp Drive

"If my signal is flashing, Im not asking permission"
r6realtor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 09:41:50 PM »

I was there this past weekend with a friend (5th & 6th) and It was nice riding. Unfortunately I wasn't able to take the Rincon due to "technical difficulties", but I did take the Ole Lady's new Rancher with stock tires. Right now Is a good time to ride out there, there was some water but not enough to get stuck in.

The facts: You must bring bike registration or proof of title, tires are measured from tread to tread from the side of the tire, not what is on the ground. Headlamps, taillamps and brake lamps must work as well as all your brakes. You must have a muffler with spark arrester. They take pictures and issue you your permit stickers which must be displayed on the bike. If it is your first time going there you have to sit at the computer for 10 minutes flipping through the Big Cypress story, the same one that is on the web site. Don't worry, its not a test! They will then issue you a license with you pic on it which you have to carry with you. The whole procedure is not as bad as some make it out to be, I think its more of a money thing then anything. The 15 MPH speed limit is real, as far as Tarzan jumping out of the trees with a ticket book I'm not to sure about.

Its a nice relaxing place and some of the trails I dont think you want to do more then 15 MPH anyways. Once we left the camp area we didn't see any people on the trails at all. The trails are about 20 miles one way, some circle around and some dead end which means you have another 20 miles to come back. The scenery is great and its peaceful.

That type of riding is right up my alley, definitely for my dad as well, nothing to crazy. Thanks again.

2009 Yamaha Grizzly 550

2009 yamaha raptor 700
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com