Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Croom  (Read 6076 times)
Young Gun
Supreme Member

Murray Enterprises

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: December 26, 2006, 09:27:20 PM »

I'm newer to this whole ATV thing and will be getting a quad hopefully in the beginning of January.  But anyways I live about 20minutes from Croom and I was wondering is it mandatory to have a GPS.  I dont mean rule wise I mean if you dont have one is it an almost definite you will get lost.  Or do you think we should invest in one?  Do the Honda GPScape models do any good or are they just basically a compass  Huh

Thanks,
Brendan

2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...
mikeE36
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 10:20:36 PM »

its nice to have a gps but as long as you fallow the fence you will find your way back. ocala is way better then croom though and you do need a gps for ocala
stacktester
Supreme Member

Proud of our servicemen and women

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 10:25:03 PM »

Never been to Croom but I know I'm glad I have my Geko out at ONF. The Honda gps I have been told is basically a waypoint device. In other words you mark your start and it will guide you back to that location. My Geko allows you to program a coordinate and it will tell you how far you have to go. It is good to have a gps in an emergency for sure because you can give 911 a location instead of a "I think we're here".

Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend
Young Gun
Supreme Member

Murray Enterprises

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 10:27:09 PM »

its nice to have a gps but as long as you fallow the fence you will find your way back. ocala is way better then croom though and you do need a gps for ocala

A fence?  Is it a fence that wraps around the whole area like on the outside? 

2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...
Young Gun
Supreme Member

Murray Enterprises

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 10:30:51 PM »

Never been to Croom but I know I'm glad I have my Geko out at ONF. The Honda gps I have been told is basically a waypoint device. In other words you mark your start and it will guide you back to that location. My Geko allows you to program a coordinate and it will tell you how far you have to go. It is good to have a gps in an emergency for sure because you can give 911 a location instead of a "I think we're here".

Oh, the GPScape sounds a little stupid.  I looked at the GeKo and it looks simple enough for me to operate Roll Eyes.  But then I found a GPS called the Rino 530 which is also a two-way radio.  Think it would be a good investment to get 2 of them for when me and my dad go riding out there so we can stay in contact because im more of a fast paced rider and hes a little slower  Cheesy

2008 KFX450R

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...
atvtrailer
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 10:36:38 PM »

yes, there is a hog wire type fence that goes around the entire property, so if u ever get lost u just head in one way and it will lead u back to either the campground or the front pit

05 450r #13B
Young Gun
Supreme Member

Murray Enterprises

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 10:38:06 PM »

yes, there is a hog wire type fence that goes around the entire property, so if u ever get lost u just head in one way and it will lead u back to either the campground or the front pit

Thats convinient.  But hearing the size of Croom that would be confusing to do because you could be close to the fence then head in the opposite direction and go in circles basically.  Maybe we will invest in those two-way GPS's just in case.

2008 KFX450R

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...
atvtrailer
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2006, 11:56:58 PM »

Thats convinient.  But hearing the size of Croom that would be confusing to do because you could be close to the fence then head in the opposite direction and go in circles basically.  Maybe we will invest in those two-way GPS's just in case.

well it all depends on how u ride, me i can go from one side of croom in no time, but if u ride slow(ie most utilities) then it could take a lil while especially if your on a trail of whoops, a gps is always handy but following the fence works also if u cant afford a gps or dont feel like using it

05 450r #13B
Young Gun
Supreme Member

Murray Enterprises

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 12:14:04 AM »

well it all depends on how u ride, me i can go from one side of croom in no time, but if u ride slow(ie most utilities) then it could take a lil while especially if your on a trail of whoops, a gps is always handy but following the fence works also if u cant afford a gps or dont feel like using it

Well for out first quads I plan on getting a Z400 and my dad will probably go utility with a kingquad or vinson.  I like to go fast but he likes to go at his own slower pace. I think we are going to invest in the GPS's that have two-way radios built in.  So we each have one to stay in touch and find our way back if I got a little ahead of him.  I think when we go to Croom for the first time were just going to explore and get to know the riding area and rules so we dont upset anyone that has ridden there for a long time.

2008 KFX450R

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...
Eric5555
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 05:37:41 AM »

ya...you would probably want one......when I went there everytime I would go riding ..I got lost...so If I was you then I would get one.

http://www.cashcrate.com/index.php?ref=237418

2007 kx250f
2006 kx250f
2003 rm250

FOR SALE:
2003 rm250
-MESSAGE ME
pochop7

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 05:51:21 AM »

ive been lost at croom once or twice but its easy to find your way out if you head in one direction till you find a fence  or road and follow that back, once youve ridden there a few times you basically get the layout and its not bad...i dont think you need a gps for croom but if your gonna goto ocala you might i havent been there but i hear everyone that has says you need a gps
Young Gun
Supreme Member

Murray Enterprises

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 01:08:26 PM »

ive been lost at croom once or twice but its easy to find your way out if you head in one direction till you find a fence  or road and follow that back, once youve ridden there a few times you basically get the layout and its not bad...i dont think you need a gps for croom but if your gonna goto ocala you might i havent been there but i hear everyone that has says you need a gps

I was looking at the Croom section here on the site and I take it that the below picture is part of the fence and it has a trail going around all of it.  I get the layout of it now but out of anything I think it would be best to get a GPS because we do plan on going to ONF and everyone says you need a GPS for that place.

2008 KFX450R

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...
kx125300ex

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 08:36:06 PM »

It never hurts to watch the sun either, it rises in the east and sets in the west.
TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

**** Frank **** **FF&J Racing**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2006, 09:22:57 PM »

Go to the top of this section and print the google Earth map. It will help you a lot.

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.
Young Gun
Supreme Member

Murray Enterprises

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2006, 11:15:44 PM »

It never hurts to watch the sun either, it rises in the east and sets in the west.

Very true...

2008 KFX450R

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...
Young Gun
Supreme Member

Murray Enterprises

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2006, 11:16:29 PM »

Go to the top of this section and print the google Earth map. It will help you a lot.

yeah ill do that.  When we get out quads I think someone from here should be our first-time guide  Cheesy

2008 KFX450R

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...
r6realtor

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 07:25:04 PM »

I have been to croom one time and could go back and navigate just fine again, not to hard to get around I don't think gps is needed there, but just to have a gps for other rides is always a plus

2011 Polaris Ranger Pursuit camo 800
27" radial outlaws, diesel wheels 2"emp lift, FTD roof, multi mount winch

2009 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS

2009 Yamaha Grizzly 550

2009 yamaha raptor 700
Eric5555
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2007, 07:34:02 PM »

I have been to croom one time and could go back and navigate just fine again, not to hard to get around I don't think gps is needed there, but just to have a gps for other rides is always a plus
ya thats true....once you go there once or twice you get used to it

http://www.cashcrate.com/index.php?ref=237418

2007 kx250f
2006 kx250f
2003 rm250

FOR SALE:
2003 rm250
-MESSAGE ME
pywacket1955

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 02:27:43 PM »

You really don't need a GPS at Croom, but I would take one to Ocala.

Mine: Camo 2010 Honda Rincon   
Son's: Yellow 2003 Honda, Foreman ES
Husband's:Yellow 2004 Honda, Foreman ES
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com