Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: North Police Needs Our Help  (Read 17786 times)
quadtographer

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 12, 2006, 06:44:39 PM »

North Port police looking for man who fired at officer

Police are looking for an ATV rider who they say tried to shoot an officer early this morning.

On his way to a family disturbance about 12:30 a.m., Officer Don Burns spotted a red ATV traveling near Tropicaire and Sumter boulevards. When the officer approached the rider to inform him of the city’s ATV laws, the rider brandished a gun and fired one round at the officer.

The shot missed Burns, and the driver fled into nearby woods.

Police said the driver was wearing camouflage. He may face a charge of aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer.

Police are asking anyone with information to call the North Port Police Department’s crime tip line at (941) 429-7382.
1FasterBlaster

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 06:55:24 PM »

Gee, I don't think you'll get much help on that one...even if what he did was wrong.There isn't many good feelings towards helping N. Port police for helping officials shut down riding area's!!
MuddFreak77
Supreme Member

I found out who my friends are

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 07:06:20 PM »

Gee, I don't think you'll get much help on that one...even if what he did was wrong.There isn't many good feelings towards helping N. Port police for helping officials shut down riding area's!!

Chino,

That is the EXACT attitude that is going to get even more areas shutdown.  Shooting was wrong, sometimes you have to do whats best for the community, granted it might not be what you agree with doing.  Would you want this person living next to you???  If he has no respect for the law is he going to respect you?  I doubt it.  I';m sure you know the old saying one hand washes the other...  Well if a rider turnes this guy in and he is caught riding in NP they just might be given a free pass so to speak.

Also remember we were riding on PRIVATE PROPERTY!!!

If anyone knows anything about this please speak up and do whats right.

Ok I'm off my soap box
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 08:32:43 PM by MuddFreak77 » Logged

Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

'07 Suzuki King Quad
3k Warn Winch
GPS

2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel, 6 way hand
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 10:39:57 PM »

Chino,

That is the EXACT attitude that is going to get even more areas shutdown.  Shooting was wrong, sometimes you have to do whats best for the community, granted it might not be what you agree with doing.  Would you want this person living next to you???  If he has no respect for the law is he going to respect you?  I doubt it.  I';m sure you know the old saying one hand washes the other...  Well if a rider turnes this guy in and he is caught riding in NP they just might be given a free pass so to speak.

Also remember we were riding on PRIVATE PROPERTY!!!

If anyone knows anything about this please speak up and do whats right.

Ok I'm off my soap box

Clapper

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
quadtographer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 10:50:10 PM »

Regardless of how someone might feel about NPPD for the atv deal there, got to remember they are in between the riders and the city goverment (who signs their pay checks) they are just doing their job.

As for the jerk who took the shot, if I knew him, I would drop a dime in a heart beat, there is NO reason for his actions. If he has a past, well, he made his bed so HE can sleep in it ( with Bubba for all I care). Lets just be thankful that the officer wasn't hurt nor was anyone else and that this guy is caught and justice is served. This was a major set back for our sport not only here on a local basis but throughout the state as well, within 72 hours after it happend it is everywhere. So we all suffer now.
1FasterBlaster

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 11:37:05 PM »

I'm not condoning his action!!I think he did wrong too. I Think they have their work cut out for them , that's all.This is like having a bad neighbor tell you someone stole his car and if you saw who did it, would you tell him?
  The officials push people out of riding area's and don't expect conflict...it's gonna happen.I wouldn't do something like shooting, that's extreme.But I expect conflicts to happen.
  And I'm not displaying any kind of attitude, I'm just saying the enevitable.We get a bad rap no matter what we do!!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 11:41:03 PM by ScratchupBangupBoy » Logged
Anoriginal

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 08:39:35 AM »

I'm not condoning his action!!I think he did wrong too. I Think they have their work cut out for them , that's all.This is like having a bad neighbor tell you someone stole his car and if you saw who did it, would you tell him?
  The officials push people out of riding area's and don't expect conflict...it's gonna happen.I wouldn't do something like shooting, that's extreme.But I expect conflicts to happen.
  And I'm not displaying any kind of attitude, I'm just saying the enevitable.We get a bad rap no matter what we do!!

The next time you believe you have a decent thought that you feel the need to share with the rest of us via posting on this forum........just let it go. You are an absolute idiot. Please, for the sake of the rest of us with a measurable IQ, please stop posting......forever.
VForcedave
Supreme Member

V TWIN FOR THE WIN.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 08:47:06 AM »

I am not even going into this one, perhaps what he said and what he meant are two different thoughts, I doesnt sound like it though. There is a huge difference between loosing riding areas and shooting at the Police. God forebid we start reducing ourselves to that level. 

2004 Kaw Vforce 700 twin. Mine
2005 Honda Rancher 350 Kev Mans
2002 Yamaha 80 Raptor Kev Mans
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4" lift, 33's, winched
1988 Harley FXRP Dropped and chopped
2003 Chevy Duramax 100+K and still cruising. 18mpg.
renmus
Supreme Member

I am a Florida Mudrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 11:16:51 AM »

The point is doing the RIGHT thing.  Yes I would tell the "bad" neighbor because if I did not, I WOULD BE THE BAD NEIGHBOR.
Rotaxian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 12:19:51 PM »

Ok, now I've lost my mind...  This young man (clearly he has to be young) is equating a cop to a bad neighbor.  This means, at least to me, that he has had a bad experience with law enforcement.  So, one would deduct, that he feels that he equates cops as "bad guys". 

OK.  Now, maybe I can explain it in terms that maybe even he can understand.

Cop=man  (or woman), possibly dad (or mom) at work, risking their lives, to protect others (responding to a domestic call)

Does anyone have a right to KILL a mom/dad/sister/brother  (you get the picture)?

Come on, dude, you can't be that dumb.

Now, his argument about losing riding areas.  Did that one cop or any cop, single-handedly, "take away riding areas?  NO!

Riding areas are taken away because of ignorance and indifference.  Dude, grow up.

OK, I think I did lose my mind....

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference to the world, but the Marines don't have that problem..." President Ronald Reagan

Bombardier 400HOxt
FR125 Rotax Minimax (crewchief)
Scramdaddy

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 05:40:24 PM »

That guy with the gun screwed up bigtime. You think it was hard to ride those area's before,they arent gonna stop till they get that fool. Guaranteed.

2004 Scrambler 500 4x4 .  Gen3usa.com
ScooterB

Trying Not to Offend Anyone and Failing

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 12:30:01 PM »

"This person has been arrested due to great tips from the public. "

This is a quote from a NPPD Sgt. 

06 Honda Rancher 350ES 
10 KTM 200 XCW
01 KX 125
FTR # 63C SSR-C
Certified ASI ATV Safety Instructor
SADRA
NPORA
quadtographer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 09:54:28 PM »

Man arrested for shooting at police 

(Last updated: 4:49 PM)   

BY GEORGE McGINN 
Staff Writer 

NORTH PORT -- Police have arrested a man they say shot at a North Port Police officer Wednesday morning. 

Todd Alan Lynn, 38, was arrested in South Venice Thursday at 9:06 a.m., according to a North Port Police press release. 

Lynn allegedly was riding a red ATV and shot at officer Donald Burns as he pulled alongside of him. according to police. 

North Port Police Chief Lewis said all Burns was going to was to let the rider know about the ATV ordinance. 

Lewis said the man, dressed in camouflage clothing, pulled an unknown type of firearm and shot at Burns. 

Police said Lynn was apprehended after a joint traffic stop with Sarasota County Sheriff deputies and the sheriff¹s office helicopter. Lynn was arrested without incident. 

Police said detectives received a tip from a deputy about the possible identity of Lynn. North Port detectives produced a photo lineup, where Burns allegedly identified Lynn as the shooter. 

A search warrant was being served on Lynn¹s house to look for items used during the shooting. 

Lynn was being held in the Sarasota County Jail without bond
bigsteve

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 04:46:17 AM »

Just be glad he's going to be charged as an adult.
If it was a minor, he would walk in no time.

"IT'S OK TO BE CRAZY! JUST DON'T LET IT DRIVE YOU INSANE!
04 CRF 80
05 LTZ 250
05 KFX 100
05 KFX700 (You know GREEN is faster so don't ask!)
03 Mojave
04 CRF 250
07 RMZ 250
05 DRZ 400
qt314nfla

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 06:48:13 AM »

Glad they got him!  Regardless of penalty there is no reason to shoot an officer or even run from them.  I'd rather take a ticket or warning.  If I'm getting a ticket or warning it's because I don't know I'm riding illegally.  I am not a repeat offender and would learn the lesson.  Either way I've pulled over on numerous occasions in NP before the ordinance.  Most of the officers are very polite.  I've only ran into one that was a real (insert 4 letter word of choice here).

I hate the negativity that happens because one idiot does a dumb arse move.  Hell for all we know he was hopped up on some kind of drug and couldn't think logically.  Either way his actions were not right.

Chino man you know you're my friend but the way you wrote things I can't even respect that shiznit!  I have to agree w/ what everyone else has said here towards you on this one.
cubnfrank

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2006, 07:29:50 AM »

Im glad they caught that SOB. Shooting at cop, Imagine what kind of indivdual he must be. What an a idiot. I really didn't think they would catch him. Thanks to the public for the tips  Clapper

FTR #40 Retired
Polaris Sportsman 570 4x4
Honda TRX 450r
Suzuki Z400
Yamaha Banshee
Honda TRX 250
Bleedsblue

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2006, 10:39:40 AM »

Just imagine what would have happened if he had actually hit him and killed the officer. Anyone that turns a blind eye to ATV issues would immediately start looking at ATV riders as gun toting outlaws that would rather shot than get a ticket.

Bill

2008 Ford F-250, 8" Fabtech Lift, 38" Kumho MTs
2007 Yamaha Rhino 660, 27" Mudbugs
06LimitedPred

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2006, 10:55:56 AM »

Just imagine what would have happened if he had actually hit him and killed the officer. Anyone that turns a blind eye to ATV issues would immediately start looking at ATV riders as gun toting outlaws that would rather shot than get a ticket.

Bill

The article i saw said an unknown type of firearm, it never said if it was a paintball gun, cap gun or real gun. Still shouldn't do it, you're obviously playing with fire, but we don't know what actually happened.

98 KX125
4fittyr

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2006, 11:25:52 AM »

to view the idiot page 10 on sarasotasheriff.org scroll down to daily arrests  .  they charge him with attempted murder first degree

if u can't be good be good at it
Rotaxian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2006, 04:34:53 PM »

OK.  My sanity has returned...

I'm a Deputy here in Broward.  I recently lost a brother to a senseless act.  Dep. Thetford worked in Tamarac and was a good guy.  While working an off-duty detail, he stopped a car and while conducting the stop, he and another deputy were shot.  For what?  The driver was going to get a ticket.  (3) kids lost thier father...

Now you understand.

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference to the world, but the Marines don't have that problem..." President Ronald Reagan

Bombardier 400HOxt
FR125 Rotax Minimax (crewchief)
quadtographer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2006, 05:03:50 PM »

ginny.laroe@heraldtribune.com

NORTH PORT -- A tip from a Sarasota County sheriff's deputy helped lead to the arrest of a man accused of taking a shot at a North Port police officer, police said Thursday.

Todd Alan Lynn, 38, of North Port is charged with attempted murder. He is accused of firing a gun at the officer, Don Burns, and then fleeing on his ATV.

The bullet missed Burns, and police had not recovered the firearm Thursday evening.

Lynn was identified in a photo lineup. He was spotted Thursday morning driving in South Venice.

"We all worked hard on it," said North Port police Capt. Kevin Vespia.

The shooting occurred at about 12:30 a.m. Tuesday when Burns was on his way to another call. The officer spotted a man on a red ATV driving on the unpaved portion of Tropicaire Boulevard.

Burns attempted to warn the driver that he was violating a new city ordinance. That's when police say he fired on Burns.

The driver fled into nearby woods.

Police initially planned to charge the shooter with aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer, but a judge found probable cause to file the attempted-murder charge.

"We definitely feel there is probable cause to believe that was the intent," Vespia said.

Lynn is being held without bail at the Sarasota County jail.
qt314nfla

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2006, 05:10:12 PM »

Clapper Clapper Clapper  Clapper  Clapper  Clapper Clapper  Clapper  Clapper  Clapper  Clapper Clapper  Clapper  Clapper  Clapper  Clapper Clapper Clapper Clapper  Clapper  Clapper Clapper Clapper  Clapper  Clapper Clapper  Clapper  Clapper  Clapper  Clapper  Clapper  Clapper  Clapper  Clapper  Clapper Clapper Clapper  Clapper  Clapper  Clapper

Glad to see that this man will pay for his crime!  Well done!
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2006, 07:47:57 PM »

If he's found guilty, he should have to serve community service for families of slain/injured cops families.

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group
1FasterBlaster

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2006, 12:40:01 AM »

OK, so blast me for voicing my opinion.Anoriginal...you throw personal insults at me like you have a problem.I think you need to chill with what you say to me.I'm not easily offended, and it sounds like that's what your trying to do.And this isn't the first time you've tried my constitution.
  I've heard from several members on here that your not the nicest person and I don't care.
  I don't know you, and you don't know me to talk to me like you do.I'm not the kind of person to make bad terms with!!I've been a member on here for some years now.Your the first person to ever disrespect me...I don't try to disrespect anyone.I'm asking you nicely for an open apology.Don't be disrespectful towards me again!!
  And yes I have had a very long past with the police.I've dealt with a number of bad cops and had many bad runins.Maybe my response was due to that.I'm still entitled to my opinion, and you are yours.Just because mine is different doesn't make me a bad person.Like I stated before,I don't think his action was right.If I appear to be a menace, then vote me off!!I can't believe you all are saints...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 01:00:09 AM by ScratchupBangupBoy » Logged
backwoods boy
Supreme Member

REBEL MOTORSPORTS

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2006, 11:43:48 AM »

The next time you believe you have a decent thought that you feel the need to share with the rest of us via posting on this forum........just let it go. You are an absolute idiot. Please, for the sake of the rest of us with a measurable IQ, please stop posting......forever.
are you stupid as you sound a--hole if he doesnt have the right to voice his opinion neither do you but thats y we live in the usa so get over it

NObama08 '' nigga please its the WHITE house''
LIVE FAST-PLAY HARD-DIE LAUGHING
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com