Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: problems with eton viper 90r  (Read 5208 times)
honda_joe

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 07, 2006, 10:21:40 PM »

I have a 2005 eton viper 90r it just died.  I checked and there was no spark knowing it could be a number of things I took it to a local shop and we tested the stator and the coil.  He told me it was the cdi.  I replace the cdi (and it was not cheap) still no spark.  Getting very aggravated I began to check wires.  The first one was the hot wire going to the coil; I removed it and added a wire from where it comes off the cdi right to the coil started right up.  Happy that I found what was wrong I unhooked it and ran it along the rest of the wire harness taped everything up put it all back together and tried to start it and nothing no spark again.  I took it all back apart unhooked the wire messed around with them for a while and it started again.  I let it run for about an hour turned it off and re-taped everything again but this time left the plastics off.  Once again no spark, today I ran a wire directly from the cdi avoiding every connection straight to the coil and one from the battery ground to the coil started right up again.  It then died and I again had no spark.  I have never heard of a coil having an intermittent problem I thought they either work or don’t. Can someone please help give me some advice, suggestions or some C4 so I can either fix this pile of junk or have fun watching it explode? 
Chuck_Norris

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 12:38:38 AM »

I have a 2005 eton viper 90r it just died.  I checked and there was no spark knowing it could be a number of things I took it to a local shop and we tested the stator and the coil.  He told me it was the cdi.  I replace the cdi (and it was not cheap) still no spark.  Getting very aggravated I began to check wires.  The first one was the hot wire going to the coil; I removed it and added a wire from where it comes off the cdi right to the coil started right up.  Happy that I found what was wrong I unhooked it and ran it along the rest of the wire harness taped everything up put it all back together and tried to start it and nothing no spark again.  I took it all back apart unhooked the wire messed around with them for a while and it started again.  I let it run for about an hour turned it off and re-taped everything again but this time left the plastics off.  Once again no spark, today I ran a wire directly from the cdi avoiding every connection straight to the coil and one from the battery ground to the coil started right up again.  It then died and I again had no spark.  I have never heard of a coil having an intermittent problem I thought they either work or don’t. Can someone please help give me some advice, suggestions or some C4 so I can either fix this pile of junk or have fun watching it explode? 

PM BIGWORM3699 with east coast performance mini quads he might be able to help you
Moose
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 10:55:42 AM »

An old fashion coil will do this before it dies completely.

It works fine when cold, but when it gets hot, it shorts out and quits working.
Once it cools down, it will work again for a spell.

I had this problem in 2 different cars a long while ago.

New coil, no problem.

LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen
yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 11:23:28 AM »

Be carefull hooking up just any wire to the coil. I did one time and when I turned it over it blowed the bottom out of the coil. Which I found out later that was not the problem. You might could easily blow the stator or CDI that way also.

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com