Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 450r runs like junk  (Read 3266 times)
newade

« on: November 26, 2006, 09:21:04 AM »

hey all,, thanks for the look,, my buds brand new stock 450r runs terrible,, everytime he slows down it stalls and it wont start very well. now he has to ride llike a 2 stroke. always on the gas,, i thought that the engine braking was normal stuff, but his just knocks out,, he went to the local honda shop and they said it was normal and just to let it break in,, (seminole power sports) but he is worried that his warranty will be over and then they will tell him it has a problem. also, when it misses on startup it makes a back fire sometimes,, and sometimes a loud clank noise..
anyone know about these things???
im going to go put oil in my gas and be thank full..

wade
thanks
Alba450
Supreme Member

When in doubt lock em' up!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 09:35:39 AM »

It looks like it is the Jetting....It kinda COLD now and the jetting is probably the problem.

Thanks to my Sponsors at.....

***OMF Performance***
***Liquid Performance***
***Fasst Flexx Handlebars***
***Laeger's Racing***
***AMSOIL Racing***
***VORTEX Racing***
***PowerMadd Handgaurds***

"Your mom? Yeah I know her. She took more shots in the mouth than Stallone in Rocky III"
newade

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 09:57:11 AM »

jetting already ? the quad has maybe 10 hours on it. is that a common thing?
450rcrazy

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 12:34:27 PM »

all 450rs have the same issue in fact i just recieved a notice from honda if you turn the idle up to about 1500rpm it fixes this problem me and my friend both had already done this and it works great.it sounds like the idle is a little to high at first but you get used to it and it sounds normal after that.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 12:42:20 PM by 450rcrazy » Logged
450rcrazy

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 12:43:13 PM »

also a alba exhaust kit wakes um up and makes them sound awesome.
4fittyr

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 06:52:48 PM »

WHAT YR  I HEARD THE 06 WITH ELEC START WERE HAVIN STARTIN PROBLEM.  MY 05 KICK WORKS FLAWLESS  DIAL RIGHT IN

if u can't be good be good at it
xr100racer

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 07:34:52 PM »

450r runs like junk

solution = yfz
450rcrazy

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 07:56:11 PM »

thats funny my friend has an 05 and I have an 06er both would do the exact same thing.stall for no reason on a trail when at slow speed then backfire when you try to restart it.The problems root cause is its a race bike ment to live at high rpm the low speed circuit on the carb is a little on the fat side to run at a low idle ,it floods it stalls and leaves unburnt gas in the chamber only to cause hard starting and a backfire. if you lean the carb you get an off idle stumble and a lean transition from Idle to mid throttle this leaves the best fix to be raising the idle a little .Trust me it works.I also attached the paper I just got from Honda last week.

[attachment deleted by admin]
newade

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 09:47:18 AM »

thanks alot,, the general answer i get is raise the idle,, just wondering why it isnt set at new. surely if there is a waranty issue i will hear that it idles too high lol
450rcrazy

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 06:19:04 PM »

Honda recently changed the Idle adjustment setting in order to correct the issue like your friend was having I am sure the dealers will be getting updated as well.
atvtrailer
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 10:24:39 PM »

i have a stock 05 and ive never had a problem, always starts first kick and dont stall unless i do something wrong, like some have said the dealer u got yours from might not have the idle high enough

05 450r #13B
bocephus300

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 02:15:11 PM »

its completely normal for a new bike to do that .. its the fuel they put in has stabilizers in it to prevent corrosion and clogging... it usually gets burned in a tank or two..then u must adjust the idle..   if u have not yet id let the dealer do a service on it.. so they can change the fluids and adjust your idle and your valves.. i was having the same problem with my forman 500.. but its all good now

2006 outlander 800
27 laws
2006 forman 500
26 laws
The hyrbid kid
Supreme Member

LIFE'S SHORT RIDE HARD.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 10:11:19 PM »

Idk but my new 450r did this and i took off the lid and jetted it to a 180 and its fine..
it also bogged before rev had a little delay and after jetting perfect..

07 CHEVY 2500HD DURMAX LMM 4X4..
06 TRX450R FULL WALSH  AND AXIS... SOON TO BE WHITE..
03 CRF450EX FULL HOUSER AND AXIS.. HYBRID BABY..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com