Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wave Brakes  (Read 3838 times)
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2006, 05:20:55 PM »

Do any of you run "wave" brakes on your racing ATV's?

If so, how much of a difference do they make and would you recommend the change from stock to wave?

UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."
ebtrx450r
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 05:34:22 PM »

I have found that if you heat the rotor with a torch it creates a great wave. The best part is that you don't even have to spend any cash!  You should try it Rico Wink
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 05:40:55 PM »

I have found that if you heat the rotor with a torch it creates a great wave. The best part is that you don't even have to spend any cash!  You should try it Rico Wink

This is a serious technical post. Never make joke time on Uncle Rico's posts. Save that for other people's posts.

UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."
53yfz450
Supreme Member

Following hurts more than Leading!!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 05:44:26 PM »

they dont get as hot so they wont bend. and i have noticed the brakes dont feel as spongey either. if your bending them get some waves.

WEB SITE IS COMING BACK UP SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   
  http://HTTP://GANDGRACING.COM CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!

http://myspace.com/jakegunn53

motocross is all about momentum if you hit it doin a 100 ya gonna  make it across.
ebtrx450r
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 05:47:24 PM »

This is a serious technical post. Never make joke time on Uncle Rico's posts. Save that for other people's posts.

Well I was dead serious it really does create a wave! Sorry you did not appreciate my answer! lol. Just go off of Jakes answer it sounds better.
Captain The Morgan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 05:58:01 PM »

Well I was dead serious it really does create a wave! Sorry you did not appreciate my answer! lol. Just go off of Jakes answer it sounds better.

Like Rico should be tellin' anyone when to joke and when not to. He's such a clown.

But doesn't less surface area on the brake rotor make for slower stopage time? I don't understand the theory behind the wave brakes.

450rcrazy

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 07:25:35 PM »

the original idea behind wave rotors was that it would reduce stress risers in the material when heated up from extreme braking. rotors when overheated tend to form a bowl shape pushing over the side they are mounted to,when the wave shape is cut into them between each "wave" the rotor trys to pull in opposite directions normalizing somewhere in the middle this is fine with a floating style caliper becouse the caliper will follow the rotor side to side .but with fixed calipers it plays havoc,it tries to push the whole fixed mount and caliper side to side cousing pulsation in the brake pedal for the rear or for the front can couse a front end shimmy and pulsation in the pedal or in a atv case the lever.wave rotors dont heat up as much becouse of the interupted contact with the pad allows air to cool the rotor plus less coefficiant of friction. One thing I do know is brakes I manage a shop that makes them for drag cars.     www.aerospacecomponents.com 
dnigels

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 08:16:02 PM »

Makes sense, how can you tell whether the calipers are the fixed or floating variety?

'06 Yamaha 350 Wolverine
'06 Yamaha PW80
'07 Chevy Silverado 1500 Ext.cab
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 09:24:17 PM »

the original idea behind wave rotors was that it would reduce stress risers in the material when heated up from extreme braking. rotors when overheated tend to form a bowl shape pushing over the side they are mounted to,when the wave shape is cut into them between each "wave" the rotor trys to pull in opposite directions normalizing somewhere in the middle this is fine with a floating style caliper becouse the caliper will follow the rotor side to side .but with fixed calipers it plays havoc,it tries to push the whole fixed mount and caliper side to side cousing pulsation in the brake pedal for the rear or for the front can couse a front end shimmy and pulsation in the pedal or in a atv case the lever.wave rotors dont heat up as much becouse of the interupted contact with the pad allows air to cool the rotor plus less coefficiant of friction. One thing I do know is brakes I manage a shop that makes them for drag cars.     www.aerospacecomponents.com 

Now THAT is some good information right there.  Thanks man.

450rcrazy

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 09:25:07 PM »

no problem!
450rcrazy

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 09:36:52 PM »

Makes sense, how can you tell whether the calipers are the fixed or floating variety?

fixed calipers have pistons on both sides of the rotor ,floating are mounted on slider pins and the piston side of the caliper presses the pad against the rotor while pulling the whole caliper towards the piston side ,therby applying pressure to the pad on the opposit side of the rotor.
4fittyr

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 09:55:59 PM »

my pads and rotors are like new cuz i'm on the gas and never use brakes

if u can't be good be good at it
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com