Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ATV Fuel Economy  (Read 5751 times)
jayd

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2006, 04:44:05 PM »

Anyone know where I can find fuel economy data, specifically for the larger(500cc and up) 4x4 ATV’s. Polaris, Honda, Suzuki etc…
Thanks!
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 04:57:31 PM »

to answer your question, no i dont. i have a question though, why need fuel economy ratings on a quad? just curious.
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 05:19:04 PM »

1. The government has a site providing this information for cars:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

I searched this site for ATV or UTV stats and found none. Some vehicle manufacturers are exempt from providing MPG information on some vehicles:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/which_tested.shtml

Motorcycles, for example. I am guessing that the manufacturers of ATVs and UTVs are also exempt.

2.  The Union of Concerned Scientists

http://www.ucsusa.org/clean_vehicles/archive/page.cfm?pageID=223

talks about federal fuel economy standards but does mention standards for motorcycles or other recreational vehicles.

As far as your initial question, "What mileage does an ATV or UTV, gas or diesel, get?," this depends on the kind of use. Obviously not the city/highway figures commonly provided for cars, but some other scale.

Another question to ask is who would care about this information? It may fall into the category, at least for manufacturers and users, of "if you have to ask you can't afford it."

We, as a planet, can't afford it, but if the federal government doesn't require those figures, manufacturers probably don't feel the need to provide it.

3. Honda motorcycles addresses fuel economy on its website:

http://world.honda.com/environment/conservation-activities/product-development/motorcycles/fuel-economy/

although it doesn't provide a handy chart.

You might have luck searching on the web for each ATV and UTV and its fuel economy statistics or contacting the manufacturers for their figures and building your own database.

I hope this helps.

UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."
jayd

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 09:37:13 AM »

To answer the why is because, at times we/I have ridden 40-50 miles a day and not having to worry about carrying extra gas is a plus. I noticed that some of the manufactures are turning out smaller tanks and with the newer machines being EFI, not sure if that’s better gas economy or not. (of course a lot is how the machine is driven and riding conditions) There has been 3-4 times I have returned to the trailer with the gas gauge blinking, as accurate as they are. I currently have a sportsman 600 and enjoy the challenges of mud holes and charting new legal paths. Also I make 1-2 trips a year out of state and this year at Coal Creek I ran dry at 59 miles, mostly of hard packed ground. If I knew I could do this many miles every time gas economy would not be a concern, but in Florida sugar sand, mud, etc.. I normally get about 12 miles a gallon. This is just something I was curious about more than a serious concern. Just for the record I have out gassed a Kawasaki, but been pushed by a Honda.

Rico- just going out on limb, you must have been a straight A student. Thank you for your time and effort.
muddman4man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 11:04:36 AM »

Funny, I have pushed a Ploaris before. I road 61 miles without hitting my reserve tank. I have a Honda Foreman and its fun to push a Polaris. I saw one roll down hill one time. About 3 miles in neutral then I had to push it back to the trailer.  Kiss
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 09:12:31 PM »

Well, first of all i'm not sure what a ploaris is and how you would go about pushing such a thing but a big thing with quads is how many cylanders you have. My dad has a POLARIS 500 single and he can go like 70 miles or so but our buddy has a 700twin and he can only go like 50. Also how you drive and where your driving depends allot on your mileage. If your flogging it around and holding it down in every mud hole then your probably not going to get the best ecnomy you can get. Now to anwser your EFI question, EFI is a much better solution as far as engines are concerned. First of all, carberators drip the fuel into the cylander while EFI sprays a fine mist. Also the EFI is contolled by a computer that constantly changes for optimal fuel to air ratios. A carb is controlled by a float. So thats where where you ride is a big factor.

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 09:20:00 PM »

I wouldn't say a carb is "controlled" by a float, nor would I say a carb "drips" fuel. Doesn't work quite like that.

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12
svtbolt04
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 09:42:29 PM »

A carb doesnt "drip" fuel.. If you ever take your carb out and spin the throttle slide on it.. It will shoot a straight line of fuel.

The intake creates suction and keeps the fuel coming through the jets, if there was no airflow, it wouldnt idle.

for the record, I have no idea what a float does.

But I know that it doesnt just "drip" fuel.

EFI has injectors giving percise amount of fuel needed for the air coming in. Thats why jetting your quad/motorcycle is important with the main jet. Too much fuel, you run rich, not enough, you run lean.

Keep it real homies. Cool
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 09:44:42 PM by svtbolt04 » Logged

823 for life!

Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.
Mars
Supreme Member

When I feel athletic, I go to a sports bar.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 10:30:40 PM »

Just info:
The float controls how much fuel is in the carb bowl. The bowl is a "reserve" fuel supply. When a vacuum affect is created from the intake/exhaust cycles, air is pull through the carb. Jets in the carb allow metered amounts of fuel to be pulled in with the air. The same way a weed killer sprayer works on the end of your gaden hose.

Jets do not shoot fuel. Carbs that "shoot" fuel have pumps/diaphrams pushing a small amounts of fuel.

04 Z400
99 Foreman 450s, AKA The Pig.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com