Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quiet Pipe for Raptor  (Read 5330 times)
xr100racer

« on: October 16, 2006, 05:56:00 PM »

im looking for a good pipe probably a full system vs. a slip on but dont want it super loud, ive herd others like on mx bikes and i couldnt bare the noise, i just ride trails anyway. so whats some of your opinions on a nice pipe that isnt much louder than the stock one that will still give me performance gains and is affordable? any help is appreciated, thanks
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 06:07:33 PM »

Aaen Mega Power Pipe is one of the more quiet pipes on the market, and will up you by about 7-8 hp.

Unfortunately, if you want power, you sometimes have to make sacrafices for the noise.

UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."
450rcrazy

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 06:22:54 PM »

friend has a yoshi pipe and its not too too loud (on a raptor)
xr100racer

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 08:37:09 PM »

well after careful deliberation i have decided on the CT Racing full system. 49 hp over stock 33 hp with pro-flow filter and jets - i just cant turn that down. it will probably be a little louder than what id like but who cares its 16 more hp. in this case i will sacrafice price and noise levels for power since i dont really plan on any other performance mods. btw, thanks rico for that comparison of the gps's, very helpful. im ordering the garmin etrex for its price and its waterproof, i dont need any thing too fancy
TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

**** Frank **** **FF&J Racing**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 04:19:19 PM »

well after careful deliberation i have decided on the CT Racing full system. 49 hp over stock 33 hp with pro-flow filter and jets - i just cant turn that down. it will probably be a little louder than what id like but who cares its 16 more hp. in this case i will sacrafice price and noise levels for power since i dont really plan on any other performance mods. btw, thanks rico for that comparison of the gps's, very helpful. im ordering the garmin etrex for its price and its waterproof, i dont need any thing too fancy

I don't think you will be getting 16hp from a pipe and filter. Maybe on paper but not on a dyno.

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 05:27:12 PM »

not to mention that pipe is ungodly loud.
fastrnrik
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 05:42:39 PM »

Raptors come stock with more than 33hp.
xr100racer

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 07:47:54 PM »

Yamaha72
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 07:49:25 PM »

Raptors come stock with more than 33hp.

37-38 if im not mistaken (if you look at the actual dyno curve the raptor that DW tested had a couple ponies over 35.... The CT pipe is ironically enough as the name of your post; the loudest pipe you can buy for a Raptor 660, but it does make the most power...

http://www.ctracing.com/PD_ct%20photos/DW_feb2002_pg3.jpg  Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Just to let you know CT Racing headquarters is based in California; mostly were every major motorsports company's based. California has a higher level of restrictions than most other states for emissions. The "California" Raptor 660 was known to have about 3-5 HP less than the raptors on the east coast. Therefore making the power increase look about 3-5 HP higher than it would be on your bike.... If you don't believe me go to www.raptorforum.com and ask them... Wink

Stock Calif. Raptor in Red CT Raptor pipe kit in Blue (CT Pipe w/ 16 Supertrapp discs, Pro Design Pro Flow Filter with lid off box and jetting). Straight from CT Racing's website.... Laugh
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 07:51:22 PM by Yamaha72 » Logged

2003 Yamaha Raptor 660

2005 Ford F-150
xr100racer

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 08:02:15 PM »

http://www.tat.2racing.gr/eng/ct2.htm

http://www.ctracing.com/PD_ct%20photos/dirt_wheel_february_2002.htm

i didnt believe it at first either. dirt wheels magazine as long a couple of other companys have dyno tested the pipe and have found the same results. its not just ct racing saying, "yeah its 16hp." ive also talked to some people on the raptor forum and they have said they experience big gains and its for real. its the biggest power producing exhaust for the 660 and 700 raptor. the gain is with the full system, jets, filter, and air box lid removal.
xr100racer

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 08:04:14 PM »

yeah, well the numbers are still great. i just got on the raptor forum, name is john
Yamaha72
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 08:10:07 PM »

http://www.tat.2racing.gr/eng/ct2.htm

http://www.ctracing.com/PD_ct%20photos/dirt_wheel_february_2002.htm

i didnt believe it at first either. dirt wheels magazine as long a couple of other companys have dyno tested the pipe and have found the same results. its not just ct racing saying, "yeah its 16hp." ive also talked to some people on the raptor forum and they have said they experience big gains and its for real. its the biggest power producing exhaust for the 660 and 700 raptor. the gain is with the full system, jets, filter, and air box lid removal.

I am not saying that the CT isn't a good pipe, just trying to put your view into a different perspective...It is a Bada$$ pipe but also don't forget that those gains were also affected by a professional mechanic's ability to tune the machine perfectly. I have been browsing the Raptor forum for quite some time and find it very interesting and informative. I have picked up alot of knowledge on forums; they are great tools. My name on the raptor forum is Yamaha72...

2003 Yamaha Raptor 660

2005 Ford F-150
xr100racer

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 08:16:02 PM »

i made that post before reading your last one. i agree with everything you have said. well it may not be 16hp but im sure ill feel the 10 or so extra hp and be quite happy. 10 hp in something that makes like 38 thats a huge percentage of an increase
xr100racer

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 08:24:07 PM »

oh yeah and im going the complete opposite way from what i planned on with the quiet thing. i may add some more discs to it but sometimes i need it a little louder, i was racing my friend yesterday and he got a new pipe which is insanly loud on his 240 blaster and i couldnt hear my own engine, i won easily anyway.
Yamaha72
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 08:26:51 PM »

i made that post before reading your last one. i agree with everything you have said. well it may not be 16hp but im sure ill feel the 10 or so extra hp and be quite happy. 10 hp in something that makes like 38 thats a huge percentage of an increase

You'll be more than happy with the increase a full exhaust system will provide on a Raptor 660. 10HP on a 398lb. dry weight bike is a BIG difference. Do you have anything else on your Raptor? My parts list is quite extensive.... 

Yoshimura Carbon/Ti Tri-Oval Exhaust (TRS)
Pro-Design Filter Setup
Dynojet Stage-2
IMS Heel Guards
IMS Footpegs
AC Nerfs
AC Wide Grab-Bar
Trail Tech Dash
Trail Tech Endurance Computer
Powermadd Handguards
YFZ Front Shocks
Renthal Handlebars (Raptor Bend)
Kenda Klaw XCR's
PRM Skids
Lonestar Stainless Tie-Rods
IMS 5-Gallon Tank
Quad-Tech Hood
12/39 Gearing

I am most probably sure I forgot a couple of things also.... Wink

oh yeah and im going the complete opposite way from what i planned on with the quiet thing. i may add some more discs to it but sometimes i need it a little louder, i was racing my friend yesterday and he got a new pipe which is insanly loud on his 240 blaster and i couldnt hear my own engine, i won easily anyway.

I had a tricked Blaster before my Raptor, and man if you think those are loud wait till you hear the Raptor..... I am guessing your friend might have a Toomey Pipe on his Blaster; they are the loudest I have heard on a Blaster. Matter of fact I had a CT Pro-National pipe on my Blaster, kind of Ironic how things tie together sometimes.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 08:32:40 PM by Yamaha72 » Logged

2003 Yamaha Raptor 660

2005 Ford F-150
xr100racer

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 09:00:57 PM »

i think its either a fmf or a pro-circut full system but its riddiculus. we can hear when he leaves his house from inside my buddys house which is a block and a half away with the tv on. sounds like a giant weedwacker.  he just put the 240 kit in and right after we raced it died and when he tried to strart it it just sounded like metal grinding, one of the worst sounds ive ever herd, nails on chalk board kind of sound. he finally got it started but he thinks he didnt get all the pieces from the old piston out.  raptor is preety much stock except for grab bar. led taillight and moose handle bars came with it and the frame has been powdercoated red.  im about to order an alba front bumper and ill get the pipe at the end of the month along with some 20" holeshot gncc's for the rear. fullbore plastics next month.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 09:07:39 PM by xr100racer » Logged
Yamaha72
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 09:05:31 PM »

Cool..... My next mods are hopefully some Hiper wheels and a streering stabilizer with a Hotcams stage 1 thrown in there somewhere. Grin

2003 Yamaha Raptor 660

2005 Ford F-150
xr100racer

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 09:10:12 PM »

do you need to get a higher compression piston with a cam?
Yamaha72
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 09:54:14 PM »

do you need to get a higher compression piston with a cam?

No, you do not need a higher compression piston when you upgrade to a longer duration cam. I, myself will be buying the Hotcams Stage-1 because it is the only aftermarket cam that I am aware of that you do not have to do head modifications to run it. A higher compression piston on a Raptor 660 makes a world of difference. I have heard many people talking about this subject on the Raptor Forum and I came to the conclusion that 11:1 is the best (general) compression level piston to run in the raptor; not to much compression so that it is not mandatory to run race gas or avgas (sp?) and it will last. The piston and cam on a stock raptor is where the potentially bigger HP gains lie. Stock compression on a Raptor 660 is something like 9.5:1? I myself will be running a Wiseco 11:1, Hotcams STG-1 and then i'll be finished performance wise...

If that is not enough power than this will surely compensate. Bow
http://kmsperformance.com/images/photogallery/2/ATV_400EX_Raptorengine.jpg

You can find more info at www.kmsperformance.com

2003 Yamaha Raptor 660

2005 Ford F-150
xr100racer

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2006, 12:37:19 PM »

so the stage one cam requires basically no other modifications? how much of a power increase will you see with it? i thought cams were more expensive, $150... im thinking i might do that soon. that would be awsome to have a boosted raptor, but $4500 wont be happening in the near future
Yamaha72
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2006, 11:05:27 PM »

so the stage one cam requires basically no other modifications? how much of a power increase will you see with it? i thought cams were more expensive, $150... im thinking i might do that soon. that would be awsome to have a boosted raptor, but $4500 wont be happening in the near future

Correct, as for the power increase I am not exactly sure but with a stage-1 and piston expect 10+ if you already have a full exhaust, filter and the carbs are jetted. I think the Hotcams stage-1 is like $139 and it seems to be a worthwile modification. The only reason I wouldn't go stage 2 is because you have to build your valvtrain and that can get quite expenssive. I havn't done an extensive amount of research on the cam options but have heard great things of the Hotcams stage-1 sooo thats what i'll be buying. BTW a boosted raptor with fuel-injection can anyone say heaven....

2003 Yamaha Raptor 660

2005 Ford F-150
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com