Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Horrible ATV Accident in Ft Myers  (Read 21391 times)
Joedirt
Supreme Member

I am a FloridaMud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2006, 02:23:46 PM »

This is horrible, too young...It chokes me up to think about it.

2005 Vinson 4x4
2003 Big Bear 4x4
2001 Prarie 4x4
1987 Dirty Dakota Mud truck on 35 inch Boggers
yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2006, 02:37:54 PM »

Sorry to hear about this and the loss of a child. Prayer go out to both families. It reminds me of my son this past weekend riding my quad and showing out a little. I run him down and made him walk back to camp and made him set out for a little while. He was just being stupid and did not realize it until I got onto him about it. We were riding by ourselves with noone else around but he still could have messed up. He knows that dad will get onto him if he drives that way but kids will be kids and just not think about the consequences until someone speaks to them about it or until someone gets hurt. Ride safe

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo
jujulo700R

When my clutch pops, my front wheels will hop!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2006, 02:56:29 PM »

I just don't understad why people don't ride with helmets either! I always wear a helmet whether it be on a street bike or on my atv. To be truthful I would probably wear it in my car if it didn't make my blind spots more difficult to see. Once you start wearing protective gear it becomes second nature and you feel naked if you don't have it on. My heart goes out to the families indeed and it is very hard to read what happened. I went out to Croom Saturday and I ended up leaving early because of all the people racing around me. I always go really early around 7:00 am just avoid being around other people. Incidents like this are just plain sad.

Just a little fast and just a little furious.
tony pitts
Supreme Member

Life's short, ride hard.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2006, 03:38:38 PM »

its the same all over me my wife and my son stopped by rodman damn sat to check out the hew trail system and there was a group of teenagers all riding the same quad no gear or any kind of self discipline. there are thousands of acres to ride and all they could do was ride up and down the parking area doing donuts and throwing dust everywhere. I am glad i dont normally ride there.

Sloth

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2006, 03:49:40 PM »

Very sad to hear this.

2009 Polaris 850xp- 28" Zillas, Warn XT30
450R_Matt
Supreme Member

TRX 250R #18

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2006, 04:21:33 PM »

its the same all over me my wife and my son stopped by rodman damn sat to check out the hew trail system and there was a group of teenagers all riding the same quad no gear or any kind of self discipline. there are thousands of acres to ride and all they could do was ride up and down the parking area doing donuts and throwing dust everywhere. I am glad i dont normally ride there.

You should have stoped them and slaped them in the face. When they asked what that was for you just tell them you were saving there life... Shocked

Proud to still own one of the badest quads ever built
               The Honda TRX250R
Got rid of the 4 poke and resurrected another dinosaur
Scramdaddy

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2006, 05:20:29 PM »

I feel sick hearing about it. My prayers go to the families. My Son is 17 and this hits home for sure.

2004 Scrambler 500 4x4 .  Gen3usa.com
ebtrx450r
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2006, 05:34:29 PM »

Sorry to hear about the tragedy! My thoughts and prayers are with the families.
cubnfrank

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2006, 05:47:11 PM »

This is awfull tragedy, Im very sorry for the parents. I read this last night and thought about it all day before I could post. I ride with my 8 y/o and it scares me to death going to places like croom or anywhere there is alot riders. I often think about the dangers of this sport. Between the trees and crashes I don't know. Sometimes I could do without my atv when I hear of thing like this. 

FTR #40 Retired
Polaris Sportsman 570 4x4
Honda TRX 450r
Suzuki Z400
Yamaha Banshee
Honda TRX 250
swampbuggy

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2006, 06:44:02 PM »

The FT.Myers News Press is saying this accident was on private land owned by the South Fl. Water Management District.  Can anyone clear this up?
PLEDGER#76

1971 Honda CB350, Honda TRX450R

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2006, 07:02:41 PM »

If it is the place im thinking of off of H.W.82 right across the street from Blackstone, if you go to the back A little ways it becomes SFWM property, I was a little confused also, hope this help out...

1971 Honda CB350 and its mint
Honda TRX450R
Thrumud
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2006, 07:34:07 PM »

Yes, it's SFWM land.

swampbuggy

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2006, 07:37:59 PM »

thanks for the info.  Guaranteed they will have enforcement out next weekend.
trx250kid

lil kid on a yellow 250ex!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2006, 09:03:14 PM »

man that must stinks i feel bad for the families but how did they crash in a open area

2003 honda TRX250EX
-Pro circuit T4 slip on
-dynojet jet kit
-Magnum revbox
-Mudshark 20" rear tires
Sleazy_Rider78

Old enough to know better, still too young to care

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2006, 10:50:53 PM »

Reading this story caused chills to run down my spine.  I can't imagine the grief this family must be going through right now.  I will pray for the family.

www.myspace.com/mlatcham
Stolen: 2003 Yamaha YZ250F. Moto XXX graphics, Pro Taper handlebars, black Excel rims.  Pics of bike in Stolen ATV Watch Forum.
http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,25023.0.html
rednipj

Just Hanging Around

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2006, 09:48:27 AM »

Here's the article from the News-press.

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061017/NEWS0103/61017002/1075

Also please post in the forums show some support for the OHV riders. There are a couple of old bags starting the 'atv are a hazard to the enviroment' thread.

http://www.news-press.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6467
cheropride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2006, 10:17:39 AM »

I was there with the father holding his son's body just after the impact. He died of massive internal injuries.  Medics say not even a helmet would have saved his life. It broke me down to tears to see the mom and dad next to their son’s body and yelling to God not to take him. I arrived at the hospital and the scene was more intense. 

His name was Kyle, he will be missed.

My gosh Thrumud, just reading your account of what happen is heart-renching.  Being a parent myself, I would of lost it.  This most of seriously affected you as well, what a horrible image that must of been for you to witness.  I can't even begin to imagine what those parents are going through.

You know when I hear of things like this, it scares the hell out of me.  For my son rides, and though he is a very good rider, and we are always with him of course, it scares you to think of the other idiots out there.  This is one of the reasons we purchased land, where we ride, it's big enough not to get crazy.  But it only takes one person to hurt someone.  I really believe in the case, all the protective gear in the world, wouldn't of protected this kid.  I will be sure to share this story with my son, it's important that they learn and continue to be reminded of the dangers of our hobby and that we must always be cautious, and not only worry about how we are riding, but paying attention to the area and people riding around us.

Wow, still can't believe how tragic......

Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP
ScooterB

Trying Not to Offend Anyone and Failing

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2006, 10:43:20 AM »

I cannot imagine how these parents feel. I know when I ride with my son he has all the safety equipment needed, but that will not keep him from being injured by another rider.

I agree that the the state and or counties need to provide a safer enviroment for OHV recreation and safety training, but the ultimate responsibility falls upon the parents to insure that our children are on the proper size ATV and are trained how to ride and operate it safely.

As for 2 way trails they scare the he!! out of me,  I was thinking about this on sunday while riding back to camp at the end of the day on the last tight trails with lots of blind corners, just after 2 sport quads came blazing thru.
This is why I have chosen to ride early or late to aviod the big crowds.

My thoughts and prayers go out to both families.

06 Honda Rancher 350ES 
10 KTM 200 XCW
01 KX 125
FTR # 63C SSR-C
Certified ASI ATV Safety Instructor
SADRA
NPORA
rednipj

Just Hanging Around

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2006, 10:47:43 AM »

Here's a related article from the NBC-2 website talking about an ATV training center. They even make house calls.

http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle.asp?articleid=9322&z=3&p=
stacktester
Supreme Member

Proud of our servicemen and women

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2006, 11:01:00 AM »

Unfortunately these things happen and it's even tougher to accept when you throw in the coulda woulda shoulda's. I have a 9 y/o daughter who rides her new 125 Grizzly with me and I make her wear her chest protector and helmet no matter if we're going on a day ride or for 5 minutes.

This accident made news in the Jacksonville paper and news channels.

As for the riders doing that crap at Rodman, that's just the norm. Everytime I go to ONF I see some punks throwing sand and riding wreckless. All I can say is, if some punk a$$ hurts me or my daughter because they're being wreckless I'm going to beat them to sleep right on the spot. I'm sick of idiots ruining our sport when most of us are out there riding safely. It's pathetic to see these kids riding in parking areas and trails like they're the only riders around. Go out in the middle of Rodman Pit and just knock yourself out. At least people have a chance to get away from you.

I'm not bashing this rider in any way so don't take it that way. It's too late to say he should've been wearing a helmet. All I can say now is please ride safe and to your ability. Learn from this. My prayers go to this kid's family and for the other boy who was injured.

Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2006, 04:12:03 PM »

I just don't understad why people don't ride with helmets either! I always wear a helmet whether it be on a street bike or on my atv. To be truthful I would probably wear it in my car if it didn't make my blind spots more difficult to see. Once you start wearing protective gear it becomes second nature and you feel naked if you don't have it on. My heart goes out to the families indeed and it is very hard to read what happened. I went out to Croom Saturday and I ended up leaving early because of all the people racing around me. I always go really early around 7:00 am just avoid being around other people. Incidents like this are just plain sad.

same here. i used to wear a chest protector on my dirt bike and now people ask me y i wear one on a quad but i cant ride without one. im so used to it. after bout 3 or 4 times wearin something like that it is just a habbit. i have to wear all my gear or i feel weird when im ridin.
Honda328i
Supreme Member

I do my own stunts

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2006, 05:31:42 PM »

Very Tragic about this situation, the family is in my prayers.

While I fully agree about wearing a helmet, that is not enough. 

I can't believe I saw this, but at Durhamtown this weekend, we saw a mom riding double with an INFANT!  This was not at the campground, but way into the park by MX track #3.  The infant was wearing a helmet stuck on his head, but not secure because it was twice the size of his head.  What can you say about stupid people??  GEEEZ.

Thrumud
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2006, 08:01:04 PM »

Ride safe

[attachment deleted by admin]

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com