Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New 450r won't start!(*FIXED!*)  (Read 15810 times)
KD 428
Supreme Member

FTR #428

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: October 09, 2006, 07:23:04 PM »

I just bought a new 2005 trx450r and the idle adjustment is off. and I was wondering what it should be turned to?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 06:06:57 PM by hondarider05 » Logged

HONDA CRF450R
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 07:40:05 PM »

Mine goes to 11.

Most go to 10, but mine goes to 11.

Are you saying it won't start or it won't stay "started"?

Do you have an idle adjustment kit?

UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."
KD 428
Supreme Member

FTR #428

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 08:12:26 PM »

Mine goes to 11.

Most go to 10, but mine goes to 11.

Are you saying it won't start or it won't stay "started"?

Do you have an idle adjustment kit?

It is hard to start, but once you get it started you have to stay on the gas all the time or it will die out..

HONDA CRF450R
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 08:36:25 PM »

Stock Idle setting is: 1650 RPM

You say it's brand new..do you mean new to him, or new off the show room floor?

Also, does it have the HRC kit, or do you know if it had any jetting done to the carb?

Also, what year is it?

UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."
KD 428
Supreme Member

FTR #428

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 08:51:16 PM »

Stock Idle setting is: 1650 RPM

You say it's brand new..do you mean new to him, or new off the show room floor?

Also, does it have the HRC kit, or do you know if it had any jetting done to the carb?

Also, what year is it?

Its brand new off the showroom floor.It is all stock. And its a 2005.

HONDA CRF450R
xr100racer

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 09:01:01 PM »

they still got 05's? how much did you pay? get it started then adjust the idle up to where it will idle on its own
KD 428
Supreme Member

FTR #428

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 09:04:39 PM »

Around 5700 otd. Wink .. I'll try adjusting the idle screw tomorrow but, I'm not sure how to do it correctly.

HONDA CRF450R
Chuck_Norris

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 09:05:08 PM »

you might have to increase the pilot jet, check the plug and see if you are lean, Mine was lean from the factory.
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 09:10:03 PM »

If it's stock and you didn't rejet it and you didn't change air box lid and it runs crappy, you can take a number of steps in troubleshooting this problem.

The easiest thing to do is take it straight back to the dealer, and let them fix it if you just bought it.

However, it sounds like you either have a problem getting fuel to the motor or you have a problem with a mixture condition, most probably a "rich" condition.  Those are the two most obvious places to start.

1) Switch your petcock to the reserve postion to make sure your fuel flow isn't inhibited by the petcock. (See if it starts and runs)

2) Next, I would pull your spark plug and examine it for a rich or lean condition. (You can tell by the coloration of the plug, wether it's dry and burnt, moist and black, or clean as to which if any of these conditions you have)

3) Next, clean your carb...it sounds to me like this might be your problem. You're not getting the proper air to gas mixture.

Let me know how that works for ya.

UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 09:13:57 PM »

Around 5700 otd. Wink .. I'll try adjusting the idle screw tomorrow but, I'm not sure how to do it correctly.

You're gonna a need a roll of double sided non stick tape and a pair of swimming goggles.

On the left side of the quad, there is a little black knob with ridges on it, below the choke..(Wait a minute,  you're not running it with the choke on are you?)...adjust that knob ever so slightly once you have it started and that will either lower your idle or heighten your idle.

Make sure your choke is in the down/off position.

yfz450runner

live to ride, skip work as much as possible

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 09:14:07 PM »

i had a similar problem with my new 06 yfz 450. i found that the air box to the carb had an air leak causing not enough gas to get in. if you turn the idle position up it will help at first but when its warm its gonna idle way to high due to the carb metal expandig, what i am trying to say is pull the whole intake apart and re-seat all the parts and change your spark plug(that is always a good idea when an 05 has been sitting for a while). if this does not work , re jetting it will solve the problem but it should idle on its own, if it does not after all this then take it back to the dealer and demand it be fixed!!!!!!!
450rcrazy

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 07:09:21 PM »

If its been sitting in the show room for a long time who knows maybe someone did not know what that black knob with ridges did (aka idle adjustment knob)and turned it once or twice ,some dealers allow test rides and there may have been gas in the carb before that after time has dried up and plugged an orfice or two.
Thrumud
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 07:16:27 PM »

Please tell me you didn't buy it at Rick Case HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh?

TAKE IT BACK !

You've been warned !  Don't buy anything there !

Toomey
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 09:29:44 PM »

If its been sitting in the show room for a long time who knows maybe someone did not know what that black knob with ridges did (aka idle adjustment knob)and turned it once or twice ,some dealers allow test rides and there may have been gas in the carb before that after time has dried up and plugged an orfice or two.

Very good ideas.  I would take it back to the dealer personally.  I don't feel right digging into a brand new bike, but once it's used, I have at it.

Looking for a junker dirt bike project.
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 12:20:10 PM »

Well..did you get it fixed?

Teej

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2006, 01:37:10 PM »

You're gonna a need a roll of double sided non stick tape and a pair of swimming goggles.

On the left side of the quad, there is a little black knob with ridges on it, below the choke..(Wait a minute,  you're not running it with the choke on are you?)...adjust that knob ever so slightly once you have it started and that will either lower your idle or heighten your idle.

Make sure your choke is in the down/off position.

this is how I do mine too and ditto on checking your choke. One thing to add though. Try to warm it up good before you do the adjustments.

Teej

PS run a good carb cleaner additive to your gas tank in case it started to gum up sitting in the show room. Also, Honda's are known to be hard starters.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 01:39:48 PM by Teej » Logged

Kawasaki 400 4x4 Prarie, Mine
Polaris 330 Trailboss, Wife's
Honda 250 Recon, Daughters
Kazuma 110 Falcon Mkll, Sons
KD 428
Supreme Member

FTR #428

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2006, 04:04:12 PM »

They are coming to get it tomorrow, and fix it themselves.

HONDA CRF450R
rubicon500kid
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2006, 04:18:32 PM »

dam kenny call me or get on aol

DROP & DESTROY
87 s10 2/3 soon to be bagged
85 honda 110 atc(22" bearclaws & snorkeld)
01 kx 125 (pc pipe,tag bar's,pro racing rear rim,some lil other stuff
I hate it when you microwave something, then you start eating it, and it's cold in the middle...makes me wanna punch a
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2006, 04:56:15 PM »

Kenny:

Use the sword of a thousand truths!

RAD 450r
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2006, 10:38:25 PM »

Please tell me you didn't buy it at Rick Case HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh?

TAKE IT BACK !

You've been warned !  Don't buy anything there !

Yeah he did, like the only dealer in south florida.

Should have gotten a yammy Bonk

Either way youll love it

XC FTR #28C
-KFX450R, Hipers
- Silver L
KD 428
Supreme Member

FTR #428

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2006, 06:06:09 PM »

Alright good news!! I called them, told em' whats wrong with it, and they sent someone out that day and the guy fixed it in 10 minutes! Turns out the idle was turned down REAL real low, and he just kept turning the screw untill it started idieling(I would have did it,but I was afraid I'd break it somehow...lol)

But man, now its way easier to kick start it,and it runs excellent!!!!!!!!!!!! Grin Grin

HONDA CRF450R
rubicon500kid
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2006, 06:26:25 PM »

cool dude go to the track this sunday
get on aol

DROP & DESTROY
87 s10 2/3 soon to be bagged
85 honda 110 atc(22" bearclaws & snorkeld)
01 kx 125 (pc pipe,tag bar's,pro racing rear rim,some lil other stuff
I hate it when you microwave something, then you start eating it, and it's cold in the middle...makes me wanna punch a
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2006, 07:02:52 PM »

Good going Kenny....

(but I wouldn't tell to many people you didn't know how to turn your idle up, the other girls might laugh at you).

Have fun riding this weekend.

Me, Eric, Stan, Kyle, Butters,  and Timmer are gonna be at the secret spot. Call Craig and he'll give you directions. Make sure you bring Mr. Hat.

TIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMER!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com