Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why ONF fight is important  (Read 3333 times)
ananomaly

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2006, 12:28:24 PM »

Check out the link.

http://www.atvaonline.com/News/06/Fed_ride.asp

05 eiger 4x4 manual
04 bruin
05 f150 crew 4x4
Gotta work but wanna ride.
Life should be a journy to the grave, body thoroughly used up,
totally worn out and screaming " Woo-Hoo...What a ride."
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 12:53:38 PM »

Thanks for the link.

"The Cause" is important. 

Does anyone know if the Factories (Honda, and those others) are going to get involved?  They have some deep pockets and I'm sure they have a few pencil knecked lawyers running around that the cause could put to use.

UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."
GrizzlyBear
Supreme Member

ONFA President, Florida OHV Rec Committee Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 01:53:01 PM »

The ONF is way ahead of everyone.  Phase I is done (the new trail system).  BUT, I need your help for phase II.  Remember that damaging report I posted last week?  These are the people that will want us to have nothing.  The Forest Service is now putting together maps and as soon as they have a preliminary idea, they will open it up to the public.  This is where ONFA comes in.  we will keep after them.  Being a partner with them means they like us and will listen to our ideas.  Starting next week we will be asking for your support.  It will only cost $25 for an individual or $50 far a family.  PLEASE join.

2006 Rhino Special Edition
2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org
toughguy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 02:34:06 PM »

I hear rumor of paying to use the ONF trials.. Is that the truth.. And then to join the ONF I have to pay more..

When friends of mine where on the user group phase I as you call it, they told me one of the USFS officals said no matter what was said, it was a done deal. I think the USFS knew what the trails were before the user group.

Do you really think the ONFA can change the government...
GrizzlyBear
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 02:43:45 PM »

In regards to user fees - I have not heard anything.  In regards to phase II. I have seen maps that have trails and maps that have environmentally sensitive areas.  What they are attempting to do now is overlay one with the other.  What is left will be where the trails will go.

2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org
tallyt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 02:57:45 PM »

where do you get to look at the overlay maps at?would love to see what the forestry has planned for the paisley woods area,for atvs and trucks thanks
GrizzlyBear
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 03:26:44 PM »

Paisley area is in phase I, those maps you can get to from ONFA.org.  As the other maps are available I will keep everyone posted.

2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org
Loven It
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 03:42:36 PM »

**I pulled this off another site - Grizzly are you working with these folks? They have their stuff together!! Why can our community not come together like this? 

Jennifer Hawkins
FLORIDA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE ASSOCIATION, INC.

The president’s meeting was held on Saturday, August 5 at Perkins Restaurant in Orlando. There were seven groups represented, Ocala JC, Caloosa JC, Mid Florida JC, Peace River, Gator 4x4, Florida Jeepers, and Jeepers JC.

The purpose of the meeting was to discuss the Ocala NF Phase 1 and Phase II ADP. The result of the discussion regarding Phase 1 is that FL4WDA will not pursue legal action against the Forest Service over the first phase. Simply put, the lawsuit would cost the association $75,000 to $100,000 for a judge to tell the Forest Service to go back and do the Access Designation all over again. The result of that could be you get more trails, you get less trails, or you run out of money trying. It was decided that our efforts would be better served coming up with a better system of trails within Phase II.

For Phase II, those in attendance split up the Phase II area to the clubs that are centrally located. The north Florida clubs will have the remaining area around and to the south of Salt Springs. Other clubs were assigned an area and will be provided a map very shortly.

What the clubs are to do with their assigned area is to lay out a route that can be reasonably sustained, while also being entertaining. The Board of Directors of Florida Four Wheel Drive intends to ask permission to use fallen trees, stumps, and possibly native rocks (limestone) to create obstacles that are challenging enough to keep our attention. The trails should be loops that come back into number roads or into some county roads, but use your best judgment. We also want to take the user density out of the southern end of the forest and force it into areas that don’t see a lot of use, the area south of 315A to SR 40 for example.

Think of it in terms of going out on a trail ride starting in Big Scrub and ending in Salt Springs at the end of the day covered in mud. A planned route instead of aimless wandering.

With regard to the “harassment”, don’t fall for the bait. Educate yourself as to what is acceptable and what is not. If you are stopped on a trail and told that you have mud on your Jeep, be polite, say yes I know, and state that your mud could have come from anywhere. The bottom line is that the LEO’s are not supposed to write a ticket for having mud on your Jeep. But anything is possible and they could. Point being is that if you are cited for having mud on your Jeep and no law enforcement officer or Forest Service employee saw you do it, they don’t have a case. Make a court date, fight the charge and chances are that the fines would be dropped and the issuing officer would be chastised by the judge. If that happens enough, they’ll stop. Keep this in mind also, United States Forest Service Law Enforcement Officers do not fall under the guidance or jurisdiction of the local ranger. Law Enforcement is directed by another division within the agency.

My statements are not intended as legal advice and don’t take it as such. These are just guidelines to make the transition easier. If you are approached by a ranger, if you are educated about what you can do and what you can’t do, they’ll back down.

Florida Four Wheel Drive Association will also be instituting the United Volunteer Trail Patrol. It is non-confrontational and set up similar to Neighborhood Watch. For a fee ($22 per person) you get a flag, decal, and T-shirt to wear while out on a trail ride. If you witness someone not following the rules, write out the report and submit it to FL4WDA and we’ll send it to the ranger’s office. If there is a problem area, we tell them about it and they do not take adequate steps to remedy the situation and try to close the area, we can say “we told you (x) times that there was a problem there, here are the reports, you can’t close it unless you make an effort at enforcement first”. The intent is to give them (USFS) enough rope to hang themselves.

The meeting was very productive and all those involved became excited about the prospect of coming up with a plan instead of having one dictated to them.

99 Honda 400ex
01 Polaris Trailblazer
06 Honda 90cc
05 Kazuma 50cc

https://www.nationalmssociety.org//FLC/personal/default.asp?pa=52649935&pd=FLC0EMS120060429WWT
raptor

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 04:17:43 PM »

Grizzley:

What do you mean by overlays Huh I agree with the FLorida Jeepers to a certain extent. The trail ranger program to pay 22.00 for a flag etc, is like kinda outragous. If I am voluteering to do patrol, why do I have to pay 22.00, plus I have already paid 40.00 to be a member. That doesn't make sense. The other aspect of the volunteer ranger program from florida jeepers briefing a candiate for 30 minutes then letting him go out on patrol, in the ONF is nuts.. They should at least be trail wise and trainned, especially in the ONF.

Part of the goal of stewards of the land is being good stewards to the land we have and to the land we might get. By that I mean certain trainning needs to be accomplished. Ocala Mountain bike club has a trail patrol program, that is excellant, and will fit into the OHV world. That training will be free.. and take only 3/4 of a day.

To me it seems like everyone wants to dip into my pocket, to fight for their cause. If I fight against the government will I win, Florida Jeepers decided it will cost too much. If I have someone in the ONFA will we get more trails, somehow I don't think so. Will stewards of the land get more trails to ride on -- I can't answer that question. But I feel if the land manager is approached in a business like manner, there maybe a chance. Stewards has a plan... Will it work we will just have to see.

Second there are ways to design trails that should keep everyone happy. If I am riding a trail on my motorcycle mountain bike, etc.. at the end of that trail I want to say to myself, wow what a trail, my the end of the day I am exhasted. you can make the trails for everyone - with a little bit of knowledge, you can keep the horseback riders happy, the mountain bikers, the hikers, and you can keep the enviromental sensative areas out of danger and you don't need that much space. Like ripples in a pond.

Wildlaw had the right idea about zoning trails, that is nothing new that has been around for a while.

Basically Stewards is going to do the same structure as Florida Jeepers. We have a structure planned similar to FTR.

Joan
Stewards of the Land
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 04:28:52 PM by raptor » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com