Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: feels like a dealer is about to screw me.  (Read 1466 times)
450rcrazy

« on: August 01, 2006, 06:26:22 PM »

last time out my bike began to run bad after about 15-20 min(trx 450 er).At the time I was on a week vacation to croom with about 11 friends.Anyway i went back to camp let it cool down, checked all the basic stuff and looked normal.I then started the bike and again it ran great for about 15-20 minutes.I noticed it would start to smell bad of gas out the exhaust to I decided to remove the carb check for any debris and the float level.Found nothing out of the ordinary so I checked valve clearence,that also checked good.put everything back together started it same thing 15-20 min later like a on off switch starts to run bad.I noticed it started to run bad right before the fan turned on.once again I let it cool down I checked the spark and it was nice and steady when turned over.Started the bike up ran good for 15 min and once again the fan turns on right after it starts to run bad,I then quickly pulled the plug wire pluged in an extra spark plug and cranked the engine over and found the spark to be eradic .At that time my thought went to the cdi (ignition control unit ) or the spark pulse generator and stator.
I knew then my week of fun was over.I decided to drop the bike off at my dealer becouse I bought the extended warrenty and might as well use it.three weeks later (today) I get a call ,they say we had a chance to look at your bike and we need approval to remove your carb.I say why do you need approval it should be warrenty'd ,they responded by saying it does not appear that general maintainance has been done due to gas being in the oil and the spark plug looks fouled.I began to get upset I told them could that be becouse it was running like crap due to it not firing properly,I then explained I have documentation of all oil changes and valve checks.They then begin to tell me that the valves could not have been checked becouse they were all 2 tight. bull crap the only way for that type of valve train setup to change in the tight direction is if the valve seats have been machined or the valve itself cut.they could get loose due to wear but not tight .they are adjusted by shimming between the valve stem and the lash cap ,shims dont get thicker.Unless I cant measure using a simple tool like a feeler gauge or their full of @#$&.I might ought to add I am a tool and die maker and im used to working in ten thousands of an inch .0001 daily or as industry calls it tenths.It sounds to me like their tring to say my extended warrenty is void with out actually saying it.I do not however understand how this benifits them when honda would pick up the tab.Any thoughts?

sorry for rambling on but its very frustrating
Mrs.Nightbreed
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 06:45:59 PM »

I do not however understand how this benifits them when honda would pick up the tab.Any thoughts?

I guess the dealer benefits because they get paid regardless, either by you or by Honda. Honda will benefit because they got your warranty money and don't have to pay the claim  Undecided  Sad
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 09:07:24 PM »

i dont know. i would call honda corporate office and complain every day til they do something bout that dealer. it would really suck if the dealer lost honda. they would go under probably. it might work or it might not. just a thought.
MachineDog
Supreme Member

Ride Red!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 09:08:20 PM »

If I'm correct they don't make as much of a profit off honda on warranty work as regular work.

http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg
06 Rancher 350 4x4 - K&N, 1.5" Snorkel, 26" Mudbugs.
Spot Reserved for Big Bore.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/ - Click to see our pics.
rednipj

Just Hanging Around

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 08:20:22 AM »

I had a Kawasaki jet ski that was screwed up.  Had a run around with the dealer wouldn't cover under warrenty.  Finally got a letter of a new store that opened an hour away.  Took my ski there for them to look at it, they said yes it was covered and didn't know why the other people didn't want to do it as warrenty work because they make an extra 10 percent.  Of course this is Kawasaki and it was 14 years ago.

Like Fox17 said try the corporate office, or try another dealer.  I know it's an inconvenience to drive out of your way for another dealer.  But this new dealer got all of my business after that even for little items, an hours drive was worth not giving money to the local dealer that didn't care about my business.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com