Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jetting my Recon  (Read 1112 times)
PaulH

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2006, 05:57:31 PM »

I took my brand spankin new recon out for the 2nd time today. I noticed when I would gear down a hill, I would get smoke out the tail pipe.  When I got done riding, the tail pipe had a ton of black soot in it.  Is it normal to have to re-jet a stock Recon?  Also, it has been hard to start when it is cold. No joy at all when I pull the choke up. When it's warmed up it will completely die if I pull the choke up. Sounds like it's running too rich, right?  I haven't looked at the spark plug yet...

Update: The spark plug was black. I looked at the air filter and the thing was saturated with filter oil. I cleaned it and lightly oiled it. Hoping that was the reason it was running rich.

Update #2: I pulled the slide out to see what position the needle was set... it's a non-adjustable needle. I attached a picture.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 02:45:44 PM by PaulH » Logged
TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

**** Frank **** **FF&J Racing**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 08:11:24 AM »

All dirtbikes and quads are jetted rich from the factory, so you don't burn them up if you can't ride.

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.
Chuck_Norris

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 09:57:17 PM »

All dirtbikes and quads are jetted rich from the factory, so you don't burn them up if you can't ride.
Not exactly true infact the YFZ's were lean, I had to increase the pilot to a 45 in stock form just to avoid the hard long crank time.  According to many of the YFZ's dedicated sites this condition is common, The oil saturated airfilter that was mentioned also occured to my wife's Prairie the very day that we bought it. We went to Rodman dam and found that the quad start belching lots of smoke from the tail pipe. a brief inspection lead me to the oil saturdated filter that was caused by the crank case being over filled from the dealer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com