Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your profession?  (Read 37198 times)
bmd11

Location: Waitin' for the green light to drop at the Motoplex!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2006, 12:58:25 PM »

Parts manager at an auto dealership. It's very rewarding and you could make good money in a big store. You just have to know your SH1T!!! Started off as a driver out of high school, stuck with it, and it has been a lot of fun. Made many good lifetime friends.Just remember, The only person you have to keep happy in business is the boss! That means doing everything else right! Thumbs Up
If I had to do it over again, I'd have to be a Pilot - - - Always wanted to fly!!!
Good luck in whatever field you choose.  Toast
BMD

'92 LT250R #11- Sold * * * '96 LT80 #24- For sale * * * '87 LT80 #16- For sale
rKyDeX

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2006, 02:42:07 PM »

I'm an Architect.  It took 4 years for a Bachelors Degree, 2 more for a Masters and then 2 years of Internship.  After the Internship I had to take 4 days of exams and pass all 9 of the test sections to become eligible for licensing.

Presently I work for a Design/Build Contractor.  And, I have had the honor of working with "Anoriginal" on one of our Colorado projects.

2003 Honda 400ex 18 y.o. Son's
2003 Suzuki Ozark Wife's
2003 Honda CR85RB 16 y.o. Daughter's
2001 Kawasaki KDX220R Mine
1978 Yamaha DT250 Mine
MachineDog
Supreme Member

Ride Red!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2006, 02:55:14 PM »

I think when I get out of high school I'd like to work on something in the computer field. What I'd really like to do someday is to own or manage a data center. But, I'll start off small. Right now I know how to design websites in xhtml/css and although I haven't worked with it in about a year so I'm kinda fuzzy with it, I can write php and work with databases. I'm also planning on getting my CCNP in Cisco networking to give me a bit of an edge in that, and possibly working up on the Microsoft ladder for an MCSE. I love computers, and it's pretty easy once you learn how to do everything. What sucks is all the freelancers in Web developing now are able to do things extremely cheap, so you'll need to get into a good team to do anything worth real cash. That's my 2 cents.

http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg
06 Rancher 350 4x4 - K&N, 1.5" Snorkel, 26" Mudbugs.
Spot Reserved for Big Bore.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/ - Click to see our pics.
Toomey
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2006, 03:08:02 PM »

I'm joining the military after high school, and right now I'm deciding what kinda of job I want and which branch to join.  I have a basic idea of what I want, just getting the final details thought of.  Then I'm going to get my degree(s) during and after my time in, and hopefully get a good job afterwards.

Looking for a junker dirt bike project.
rubicon500kid
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2006, 04:05:24 PM »

Right now I go to a vo-tech high school which im learning diesel technology. after high school im going to work part time at Kelly tractor, Cummins diesel or CAT(all of them sponsor my school and higher the students in my class’s) and go to collage for a degree businesses and then after that start my own diesel mechanics shop. 
Or
Follow after my dad and join law enforcement (he is an LT for MDPD and is a LT in the cost guard reserves) and become a  border patrol agent.

DROP & DESTROY
87 s10 2/3 soon to be bagged
85 honda 110 atc(22" bearclaws & snorkeld)
01 kx 125 (pc pipe,tag bar's,pro racing rear rim,some lil other stuff
I hate it when you microwave something, then you start eating it, and it's cold in the middle...makes me wanna punch a
dynodon
Supreme Member

Ocala racing team

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2006, 05:35:31 PM »

UncleRico is right to an extent. Construction can be trying at times, but his situation sounds to me like an unusual one.
First, any apprentice must accomanied by at least a journeyman( who falls into the 22.00 per hour)
Second, the company he was refering to might not have been on the up and up, not all construction companies are that way.
I know some of you are going to disagree, but those who know me, know that I only work about 4hrs a day, and make more money than most peaple.I will say that it does depend on what  "Trade" you are in, but the potential is there.
I would however recomend some sort of schooling(degree). I have a college degree in CAD, but I dont really use it unless I am designing a kitchen. But that is different than installing one.
 Good luck in whatever profession you choose, think it through and make responsible choices.

The " Black Pearl "
No, you dont want NONE of it
brokenbackt12

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2006, 07:25:52 PM »

i subcontract division 10 specialities.interior stuff. im looking for help.
trx#9
Supreme Member

Manager at Seaman's Sausage House and Adult Movies

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2006, 07:46:22 PM »

I'm a custom Tile, marble, granite, brick paver, etc. installer for my parents and my company.  Swede's Tile co inc.  Grin

"A SPECIAL THANKS TO MY SPONSORS"
Big Knob racing!, NewMembers Mom!
 Sacks Gloryhole at the Little Bar!
Qawd32 Colon massage inc.!
Fuzzy Pickle race team!
duroc825
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2006, 07:48:17 PM »

If the younger generation hadn't become so lazy I don't believe the illegal immigrant thing would be as bad in construction. If you don't plan on college and aren't afraid to work for a living then there isn't much out there that pays as good as commercial construction. I work for a very large drywall company and we use the "mexicans" only because that's all we can find that want to work. They make anywhere from 14 to 18 $/hr, not bad for a job requiring no formal education.
fastrnrik
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2006, 07:57:12 PM »

I am a Sitework, Underground Utility, and Fireline Contractor. I am also a Class "A" General Contractor. My company, started with me only, now has 30 to 40 employees at any given time, which sounds cool, but that means 30 to 40 families survival depend on me staying busy.Also figure in the scheduling problems, inspections, weather, repairs, and the Bulls*@t factor goes up even more.  Finally, and most importantly, it's a constant battle to get paid. Last year a contractor tried to stiff me for over $150K, and right now another contractor has owed me $85K for over 6 months. Damn strong arm Lawyers like Anoriginal (relax counselor, my wife and sister are Attorneys) end up making most of the money in these situations  My advice to you would be like many of the others: Go to school and get an education. If you like construction, get into engineering or architecture. If you just have to work in the field, start with a good company, pay attention and learn what is being taught. If you are smart and a hard worker, you will advance pretty quickly.        
Sleazy_Rider78

Old enough to know better, still too young to care

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2006, 10:33:55 PM »

I am an auditor for one of the biggest public accounting firms in the world.  Graduated with a bachelor's degree in accounting.  Working on trying to pass the exam to become a Certified Public Accountant.  Its my job to keep a company's financial statements free from accounting fraud or mistakes.  Alot of times when I tell someone that I am an auditor they freak out cause they think I work for the IRS, but I don't.  My job is to prevent accounting scandles like Enron from happening.  Whatever you decide to do, GO TO COLLEGE!  It is some of the most fun years of your life and you will remember it forever, except for those nights that you get really drunk and can't remember.  If I were you, I would go to the University of Central Florida, thats where I graduated from and still go up there every once in a while and am amazed at how much it has grown.  That and the fact that there are some absolutely smokin' hot girls up there.  Even though the military is very honorable, you don't want to miss out on college, its just too dang fun. 

www.myspace.com/mlatcham
Stolen: 2003 Yamaha YZ250F. Moto XXX graphics, Pro Taper handlebars, black Excel rims.  Pics of bike in Stolen ATV Watch Forum.
http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,25023.0.html
kenz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2006, 10:47:28 PM »

I am a Network technician.  I did 6 years in the Air Force as a Ground RADAR tech.  It was a great experience and you can learn alot about life and yourself... but then you will only get out what you put into it.  Overall it was a fun job and I got to see some pretty cool stuff.  I made the transition into computers from electronics for the money.  My job can be fun now too, but for the most part it's just routine.

I always enjoyed working on ATVs and motorcycles growing up.  I wanted to go to MMI in Orlando, but my parents really didn't see the 'better' future they wanted for me in that field.  Thought I wouldn't put my brain to good use.  
If I had it to do over again I would take the chance and go to MMI.  Money isn't everything.

2008 YFZ450
FTR 30+ #34B
Sarasota Area Quad Riders
RTR_380/450R
Supreme Member

The older I get..........

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2006, 11:59:58 PM »

I beat up people for a living!  I highly recommend it. But plan on a short career. After several dislocated shoulders, fingers, concusions, sprained eye socket (yes it is possible), stitches, cracked ribs, califlower ears, and bruises- it starts to get old! Other than that, its a great way to let off steam! Evil

I am also a Director of Special Finance for an automotive group consisting of 5 dealerships and 14 brands of vehicles! Wink

RTR PERFORMANCE ENGINES
Specializing in FAST RELIABLE Horspower!!
rtrperformanceengines.com
Nightbreed
Supreme Member

ATP Racing Engines Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2006, 12:27:06 AM »

I work for some arse at a bike shop working on quads all the time. I never get days off, work 10 to 18 hours a day, and he never lets me ride anymore. Wink

What doesnt kill you, Makes you stronger!
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2006, 06:38:09 AM »

I work for some arse at a bike shop working on quads all the time. I never get days off, work 10 to 18 hours a day, and he never lets me ride anymore. Wink

money isn't everything, I would quit that job if your dang boss never let's you ride.

after you finish a certain Rubicon though ;-)

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
dreth

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2006, 07:29:33 AM »

im a proffessiioonnaall Stuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud! just ask my wife, she'll tell ya Grin
toofittyr

Team Ware Racing Member #02

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2006, 08:21:22 AM »

work for the federal goverment,  nuff said !!!!!!!

if you don't mix your gas, then you an't fast
Loven It
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2006, 08:48:53 AM »

My recommendation would be to see what the market is like for the job you want before you go to college for a degree in anything. Many of my friends are in the 25-30yr old range and have all gone to college and all have degrees. How many of them are working in the field they have degrees in? NONE!!! Why because there was no market for what they held degrees in once they finished college.

Once you are in college many doors open and you will probably change your mind several times as to what you want to do. Either way for most the first year of college is your basic classes - Math, Science and so on. That gives you time to figure things out.

Right now find a job that you would like to do that makes you happy. Also keep in mind you will probably have several jobs before you in a sense "settle down" with one that you will stick with. As a teenager ages 17-20 most of us on here probably had several different jobs before we landed where we are now.

I work in freight forwarding

99 Honda 400ex
01 Polaris Trailblazer
06 Honda 90cc
05 Kazuma 50cc

https://www.nationalmssociety.org//FLC/personal/default.asp?pa=52649935&pd=FLC0EMS120060429WWT
cubnfrank

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2006, 09:09:18 AM »

Im a project manager / estimator for a structured cabling contractor. I started at the very bottom. I was looking up at the guys on the bottom.  And it's been rewarding. I've been able to stay with the same company for almost 18 years.

FTR #40 Retired
Polaris Sportsman 570 4x4
Honda TRX 450r
Suzuki Z400
Yamaha Banshee
Honda TRX 250
garym
Supreme Member

four wheeling or fishing, it always takes gas

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2006, 09:18:05 AM »

I always wanted to do that boat captain/crew thing but ended up working for the government in purchasing
Tripyn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2006, 09:38:56 AM »

I work for County Gov't in IT-anywhere from managing Servers-cabling to desktop support.  I have my Microsoft cert's-they open  few doors for you but experince carries more weight. 
Old_School
Supreme Member

It ain't fast without mixed gas....

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2006, 02:14:57 PM »

<----- Peter North stunt double. -Mark

90' LT500R Quadzilla
Breathing fire and crushing cities

92' LT250R Quadracer
Some stuff done. 75+mph (Sold)

"When this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious $%#!" - Christopher Lloyd
jcaldwell

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2006, 02:28:01 PM »

Working as tech at a engineering firm but going to UNF to be a General Contractor.  I have done some research and read some books and the amount of engineers that are graduating over sea's is amazing.  The hard part about working on the computer is you can do it anywhere in the world and India os doing a good job on taking a lot of our jobs because they can work cheap.  Its amazing as to what you will find out that is being sent across seas to be done.  I found out that doctors are sending x-rays across seas to get looked at in the middle of the night so the doctors can have a review on it in the morning.  Thats just one thing the engineering company I work for is looking at having people across sea draw stuff in cad to save us time and money.  CRAZY!!!!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 02:37:34 PM by jcaldwell » Logged

Honda 400ex
Sportsman 500
Prairie Master

internationaloffroad.com

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2006, 04:08:42 PM »

Navy helicopter crewman, rescue swimmer, door gunner, sub hunter, radar operator, and mail delivery

02 Prairie 650
04 Ozark 250
05 Rancher 350
06 Polaris 50 
01 KTM 380
04 Gear Box
03 F350
05 Magnum
76 wife
yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2006, 04:31:15 PM »

I would say get a degree and become a politician and run for governor. then open all these wildlife management areas up for Riding.

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com