Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Input On Utility Quads  (Read 7961 times)
fastrnrik
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2006, 04:42:03 PM »

I figured we were all sick of talking about Religion, Politics, and Morals.  Cursing
I am looking for some input on the different types of the bigger 4x4 utility quads, with auto transmissions. I am in the market for one for my wife. I am wanting to pimp one out a little with a little lift, mud tires, etc. I'm looking for input on things like , performance, durability, 4x4 systems, little quirks, things like that. Please, if you're a salesman, spare me the spec sheet talk, as I can get that at the dealer. Deal
Any info to help would be appreciated.     
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 04:47:05 PM »

dunno if I can help much since I don't have much experience on the UTE's, but I love the Rubicon and it is known for it's massive amount of torque,,,,,even for a 500cc engine.

and that's the type of riding I like is low and slow.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
dynodon
Supreme Member

Ocala racing team

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 04:48:29 PM »

I would recomend a Grizzly ( yamaha) just shift and go

The " Black Pearl "
No, you dont want NONE of it
fastrnrik
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 04:52:00 PM »

Yes, my wife requires "shift & go" on an ATV, BUT, her car is a 5 spd. Go figure...
dynodon
Supreme Member

Ocala racing team

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 04:56:03 PM »

Yeah right , But all considered on the trails and all, I can see the difference.
I do not personally own a ute, but from friends that have, I would try to stay away from the belt driven machines such as polaris. You will be replacing a belt on the trail sooner or later.

The " Black Pearl "
No, you dont want NONE of it
fastrnrik
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 05:06:33 PM »

I don't particularly care for Polaris in general. I've had several over the years, and they were all just OK, the Japanese bikes seem leaps and bounds better. I bought her a 250 Trailblazer a month or so ago, and it sucks. Bad. I mean really bad. Incedibly nutless. The belt thing doesn't scare me too bad. Our V-Force is belt driven, and they're fairly easy to change. I would say comparable to changing the chain on the YFZ450. I just think she would like a 4x4 ute, because she likes to play in the mud. (usually, right after I wash them)     
Smoknbanshee
Supreme Member

When the green light drops, all bull$hit stops!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 05:18:54 PM »

If my memory serves me correctly most of the UTE's are belt driven.  There are things you can change clutch kit that will help save the belt and the way you drive it.  I have a grizzly and love it, never had any troubles, but I do baby it.  For the most part, I think it is personal preference.  All of the UTE's are very good quads and they are all reliable if you ask me.  Polaris, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda, the are one in the same.

Team FBI (Florida Boy's Inc.)
A$$ Crack Racing
Choke on my Smoke!
fastrnrik
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 05:27:28 PM »

Yes, the clutch kit and springs are the easiest way to wake up any belt driven machine. I ordered the full Dalton kit for our V-Force, and when it came in I was like "all that $$$ for one little box?". But, man it's like riding a different bike after the change. I'm sure it's the same on the Ute's, especially since on those kits you can adjust the actual clutch weights for different lockout, etc. I'm sure they're all good, but I was just curious about individual experience.
Kawa3
Supreme Member

Straight Up

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 06:27:33 PM »

Baddest belt driven mud bike out there is the Arctic Cat 650 H1(not the V2 has the kawi belt system and slips or smokes the belts quite a bit). The H1 can turn 29.5s Laws STOCK no mods or anything. ODB makes lifts for it and gorilla does also I think(very expen$ive). Full front diff lock. Check out www.highlifter.com or www.arcticchat.com for a lot more info. or www.arcticcat.com to look at them.

2010 Polaris Ranger Crew on 29.5 Outlaws.

2007 Arctic Cat 650 H1

2005 Arctic Cat 650 V2

2004 Kawasaki Prairie 700
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 07:52:45 PM »

most utes are shaft driven. at least all the utes ive seen are. i have seen a polaris that is belt but everything else is shaft. i really like the hondas. my friend has a 86 250x (before they made it a sport bike). it is shaft driven and it has had no problems except the starter and it has a kick start backup. it is a great bike. we have a rancher and a recon and a 300ex and a couple of honda dirt bikes. all are excellent. very happy with them all. will never buy anyhting else other than honda. we had a couple of kawis and all sucked. my uncles bombardier sucks. just my thoughts. hope it helps.

p.s. buy a honda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kawa3
Supreme Member

Straight Up

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 08:06:01 PM »

All big bore Utes are Belt Driven and most 400cc(some 350) and up have a choice of Auto(belt) or Manuel

2007 Arctic Cat 650 H1

2005 Arctic Cat 650 V2

MachineDog
Supreme Member

Ride Red!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 08:09:22 PM »

most utes are shaft driven. at least all the utes ive seen are. i have seen a polaris that is belt but everything else is shaft. i really like the hondas. my friend has a 86 250x (before they made it a sport bike). it is shaft driven and it has had no problems except the starter and it has a kick start backup. it is a great bike. we have a rancher and a recon and a 300ex and a couple of honda dirt bikes. all are excellent. very happy with them all. will never buy anyhting else other than honda. we had a couple of kawis and all sucked. my uncles bombardier sucks. just my thoughts. hope it helps.

p.s. buy a honda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Belt has to do with the transmission, not a chain. And all new utes are shaft-driven. If you want to find more out on belt-driven autos look up "CVT" in howstuffworks.com

As for utes, I thought you wanted something to compare with a KFX700? So I'd reccommend a bombardier 500 or 650. Both have Automatic CVTs, 4x4 w/ automatic locker, and large amounts of power. The bomb 500 is 6200, and the 650 is 7900 I think.

If she would rather have comfort, the rincon is the most comfy atv out there. Although it doesn't have the power of the bomb 650 it does have the power it takes to wheelie from a stop by punching it. Though, the gearing is very tall so you won't be able to put 27+ pure mud tires on it without it bogging in the real thick mud, it will however turn 27 inch mudlites or something easy. It's mainly things like outlaws and Vampire edls. This bike has EFI and IRS, 4x4 without locker so won't be too great in the mud, and it costs 7850. The main reason it can wheelie like that is it has an automotive style auto with torque converter instead of a belt-driven CVT.

If you want an all-out mudder though I would go with the Arctic Cat 650 H1. This machine has huge torque, but is heavy and not very sporty. It will turn 29.5s stock, but in super thick mud you'll want to get a clutch kit. This one costs somewhere between 7200-7500 not sure.

I wouldn't go with the new grizzly because of it being a first-year model with alot of new technology.

Also, don't judge honda by the reliability of their old bikes. They used to be alot more simple and more reliable than the newer ones, and if you're going to be putting huge tires and mods on any of these bikes none of them will be the most reliable. However, I would not go with a polaris because of the plastic they use in their front diff.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 08:27:12 PM by MachineDog » Logged

http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg
06 Rancher 350 4x4 - K&N, 1.5" Snorkel, 26" Mudbugs.
Spot Reserved for Big Bore.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/ - Click to see our pics.
fastrnrik
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 08:48:26 PM »

I think some of you have misunderstood my question. I know how a belt drive works, as I've had several. And yes all CVT transmissions that I know of use a belt to transfer power from engine to transmission, and then usually shafts from transmission to axles. I'm loking for info between the different brands, like what Machine Dog posted.   
MachineDog
Supreme Member

Ride Red!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2006, 09:20:44 PM »

Actually the Hondamatic CVT used on the Rancher 400 and Rubicon is the only revolutionary tech I've seen honda release. It uses a totally different type of CVT that won't slip. It's pretty cool I think. Oh, and I forgot to add that the kawasaki 650 is going to have the same kind of power the Bomb 650 has for 7 Grand. The only thing I don't like about the kawasakis really is the fact you have to roll about 5 feet forward before the 4WD engages correctly. And like all the quads I mentioned it has IRS and an CVT, besides for the hondas tranny which since it has a 3-speed enables you to switch from auto to ESP mode if you want.

fastrnrik
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2006, 09:30:36 PM »

Dog, I just re-read your posts. Very informative. I didn't know about the torque converter in the Rincon, interesting. I thought most all auto quads were CVT. Keep in mind my wife is gonna be using this thing, so I'm not going to go nuts with lift, mount the radiator on the front rack, etc.LOL. Wheelies are not really her thing either, although I would love to see that fiasco Grin. Thanks again for all the info.
Cory1020

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2006, 10:52:41 PM »

we have a rincon and love it. no belts to slip. auto and manual tranny, just flip a switch. i say it has alot of power, it will run little over 65mph, but ive never driven a brute force or kingquad 700 etc.. we have 26in 589s and they turn fine in the mud no problem. very comfortable ride, so much better than my rancher, alot smother ride. ive heard very good on reliability for rincons. no problems with ours, but only has around 550 miles on it. the august 06 dirtwheels has a owners report for a rincon, and everybody loved it with pretty much no problems. my rancher has been extremly reliable and has over 7000 miles on it. i would personally reccomend the rincon. oh and the rincon will pull a wheelie very easy. i was in 4wd once, hit the gas pretty hard and it came up no problem.

99 F-150 4x4
8" lift on 35x13.5 cooper sst

02 Rubicon
06 Rancher 4x4
01 Rancher 4x4
98 Fourtrax 2x4
06 Raptor 700
05 Rincon
Kawa3
Supreme Member

Straight Up

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2006, 10:54:34 PM »

I would not go with a kawi 650 engine. I smoked my belt BAD with only 28" 589s(only measure almost 27") and it wasn't even that thick. I won't buy another kawi belt driven quad Sad Screwed up when I bought the Arctic Cat V2 which has the kawi 650 engine in it.

2007 Arctic Cat 650 H1

2005 Arctic Cat 650 V2

MachineDog
Supreme Member

Ride Red!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2006, 11:23:07 PM »

Yeah that too. They use 2 diff kind of take-off designs between the V2 and the H1. That's why they don't make the V2 anymore. (on arctic cat models)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 01:32:31 PM by MachineDog » Logged

NPRVinson

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2006, 11:14:20 AM »

We have all Suzukis and have had no problems with any of them. I have abused my Vinson severly and the only work done to it is scheduled maintanence, it has about 2800 miles on it but it is manual shift. They do make the Vinson in auto though. My wife has a KQ and that thing is a brute and can be riden all day comfortably single or two up. H/L range, dif. lock,IRS, auto, and power to spare. It's actually pretty suprising for a ute. My buddy rides a grizzly and has very little trouble with it. I dont know where you are located but if you are interesed in Suzuki or Polaris Nature Coast Motorsports in Crystal River had the best deals I could find in central FL. Personally I wouldn't go with Polaris but that's just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you do.
Cory1020

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2006, 01:13:15 PM »

if your looking 4 a new one ars powersports in okeechobee has good prices also. the have honda, yamaha, and suzuki.

99 F-150 4x4
8" lift on 35x13.5 cooper sst

02 Rubicon
06 Rancher 4x4
01 Rancher 4x4
98 Fourtrax 2x4
06 Raptor 700
05 Rincon
Kawa3
Supreme Member

Straight Up

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2006, 11:19:17 PM »

Yeah that too. They use 2 diff kind of take-off designs between the V2 and the H1. That's why they don't make the V2 anymore. (on arctic cat models)

Their Deal with Kawi ended, was a 3 yr deal(04,05,06) which worked perfect for their H1. So they didn't stop using it b.c of the belt problem. Still a great trail/woods bike and a decent mudder but I would rather have an H1 myself to throw some 29.5s on it.

2007 Arctic Cat 650 H1

2005 Arctic Cat 650 V2

fl750mudder

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2006, 11:14:45 PM »

I have a Brute Force 750 and it kicks @$$! The Kawasaki V-twin is awesome! There are clutch kit that help with the belt problems. I have a 29.5 Outlaws on mine and have no problems.

2005 Brute Force- HL Lift Kit, 29.5" Outlaws, 1.5" Wide trac spacers, HL Temp Gauge, Ramsey 3000 Winch, HL Diamond plate bumper and bash plate,HL ICM, Bayou snorkel kit
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jack_raley/my_photos
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2006, 11:18:19 PM »

buy a honda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
qt314nfla

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2006, 11:52:57 PM »

I have several friends w/ Rincon's.  I have ridden them myself.  Great ride and very comfortable.  Independent rear suspension is the most comfortable ride out there.  However, every single one of my friends w/ Rincons (5-6) all play in mud and every single one has problems w/ over heating.  The design on the radiator leaves alot to be desired.

If you're going to go w/ Honda my first suggestion is the Rubicon.  If you want something a little smaller the Rancher is great also.  Both have straight axle and aren't as comfortable a ride but they are reliable and great bikes.  I've rode them both and again know several ppl w/ them and they never have any problems.  If you are going to buy a honda new take the time to look at this site and consider the drive. http://www.southernhonda.com/

Polaris is ify.  Some love them and the rest of us that don't own them make fun of them because they spend alot more time broken than other quads.  Also, it seems to take longer than others to get replacement parts.  Avoid anything chain driven as suggested above.

Brute Force and King Quads again are phenomenally fast and great bikes according to all over the owners.  I know no one that has had any problems w/ them.  Same thing for the Vinson it's another great bike.

As for the grizzly it's a great bike but they seem to have problems w/ busting rear axles.  I forgot which years you need to avoid but there was some problem w/ one of their designs.

My overall suggestion based on alot of time spend at mudding events and w/ utility riders are:  Rubicon/Brute Force/King Quad/Vinson (in the larger cc bikes), next would be a Rancher only second because it's smaller in engine size but it will get the job done.  Also the bigger bikes if you're wife is going to play in the mud be sure she can 'work' the bike.  I have a 350 and can work the hell out of it because it's lighter also it doesn't get stuck as often for the same reason. 

Sorry for the novel.  Hope this helps.
fastrnrik
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2006, 06:08:56 AM »

Thanks for all the info. That's exactly what I was looking for.

No problem on the novel, I was tired anyway...
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com