Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Group ride SAT-SEPT 30th- ONF new Trail System-REVISED 8/21  (Read 44013 times)
GrizzlyBear
Supreme Member

ONFA President, Florida OHV Rec Committee Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2006, 08:54:06 AM »

The trails generally do not have a lot of mud.  They should be in good shape by then, as the trail maintenance equipment should be here before then.  Depending on what people want, we will probably have multiple rides. sme short and some long.  Probably the rides will be relatively slow as we believe in the principle of "tread lightly"

2006 Rhino Special Edition
2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org
apkkfx400

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2006, 11:48:45 AM »

The new trails are 2 way.  It is a proven fact that if you have 1 way only people ride at a higher speed and the trails are more dangerous

Who came up with this idea? I would think it would be the opposite. I would rather have someone run up on me than run into me.

I agree 100% with eworm.  I can't say that I would go any faster-unless I had a faster quad I guess, if it was one or two way trail system.  I have ridden some of the new trail system and was suprised to see it was two way.  Don't get me wrong-loving the marked trail system, but can't see how the trails are more dangerous having it one way.  Just my opinion.

Anyways, myself and a few others will be there as long as work doesn't get in the way.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 12:06:12 PM by apkkfx400 » Logged
EASY DOES IT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2006, 06:32:01 PM »

Thank you in advance for checking to see if we can bring the kubota

Kim
logger

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2006, 09:06:20 PM »

They actually will do trail maintenance. They have equipment to do trail maintenance.

The trails generally do not have a lot of mud.  They should be in good shape by then, as the trail maintenance equipment should be here before then.  Depending on what people want, we will probably have multiple rides. sme short and some long.  Probably the rides will be relatively slow as we believe in the principle of "tread lightly"
GrizzlyBear
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2006, 08:04:54 AM »

2 major pieces of equipment are on order. A Swego and a Coot. The Swego is a special bulldozer to level the Whoops, and the Coot is an articulated piece of equipment to rake the trails.

2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org
Ride1Rob
Supreme Member

YFZ 450!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2006, 09:04:09 AM »

The new trails are 2 way.  It is a proven fact that if you have 1 way only people ride at a higher speed and the trails are more dangerous

Who came up with this idea? I would think it would be the opposite. I would rather have someone run up on me than run into me.

I agree 100% with eworm.  I can't say that I would go any faster-unless I had a faster quad I guess, if it was one or two way trail system.  I have ridden some of the new trail system and was suprised to see it was two way.  Don't get me wrong-loving the marked trail system, but can't see how the trails are more dangerous having it one way.  Just my opinion.

Anyways, myself and a few others will be there as long as work doesn't get in the way.

I agree with you guys also, If anyone ever rode on a Speed Ride they'll tell you the experience would be much better and safer if the trails were one way. We never had any problems back then because we never saw anyone once we were back into the trails and because there were so many trails to take. Now your taking X number of vehicles and limiting their trails to ride, then your sending them into 2 directions on one trail system. NOW THAT'S DANGEROUS  Shocked
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 09:07:44 AM by Ride1Rob » Logged

If it'll run... I'm ridin'!!!
GrizzlyBear
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2006, 09:24:31 AM »

It is not the intent of the trail system to provide a place for  "speed rides"  This is a trail system to be enjoyed by families. Safe and reasonable speeds are required.  If you want speed rides, you will need to go to motocross tracks.  It is a proven fact nationwide the 2 way trails are safer, because you must maintain safe speeds.

2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org
Rellimniets

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2006, 03:13:15 PM »

My son and I will attend, worse case scenario is  just me.

Brian
Eworm
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2006, 05:03:53 PM »

It is not the intent of the trail system to provide a place for  "speed rides"  This is a trail system to be enjoyed by families. Safe and reasonable speeds are required.  If you want speed rides, you will need to go to motocross tracks.  It is a proven fact nationwide the 2 way trails are safer, because you must maintain safe speeds.

There is a huge difference between riding track and riding through a trail at a high rate of speed. Will there be speed signs? What is the max speed alllowed? Can you pass? Seems like this is not going to work and most people are just not seeing that. It also seems like you or however is in charge is catering to 4x4's. Do the people over there have any idea how many sport quads visit the forest on a yearly basis? There are way more sport's than 4x4's out there on any given day. We all pay the tax dollars, we all should be able to enjoy.

Grizz: Is there any way you can provide us with a list of people who are making these decisions please?

I am sure some emails with ideas and thoughts will go along way.

Thanks

Ride1Rob
Supreme Member

YFZ 450!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2006, 05:51:39 PM »

I think you feel like you make all the rules for ONF. Honestly, I do! You constantly come up with rules to please yourself and what you like. What's considered fast to you may be slow to someone else and vice versa. When we do speedrides we ride fast when it's appropriate and safe. Last I checked the forest was for everyone that wanted to ride and enjoy the forest. Not just for you and your set ways my friend  Wink

If it'll run... I'm ridin'!!!
GrizzlyBear
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2006, 07:33:35 PM »

I only answered with what had been proven at the forum in May by the experts.  They have been involved in the design and development of many great trail systems.  It is these experts that were behind the Forest Service and how they designed this system.  What I was stating was not my opinion, but was why they put the two way trails instead of one way.  The Forest Service was involved in the start of the Tread Lightly program, and believes that in order to make the trail system sustainable, it must adhere to those principles.  Believe me, I know that different speeds are acceptable, but the purpose of ONFA is to make sure we have places to continue to ride.  If you do not agree, so be it, everyone is allowed their own opinion.

2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org
GrizzlyBear
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2006, 07:55:56 PM »

The trails we are doing most of the ride on are multiple purpose.  The kubota will be OK

2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org
GrizzlyBear
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2006, 08:04:01 PM »

Lets try to keep this topic to the Sept 30th ride.  I have started a new topic for peoples ideas and suggestions.

2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org
1Scorpion
Contributing Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2006, 06:05:59 PM »

We are working on providing a group ride on the new Trail System in the end on September or October.  We want to introduce everyone to the New Trail system and the ONFA.  Keep watching this forum for dates and directions.  We will probably start and end at the OHV Center (old Seed Orchard) on FR 88 and travel on the new Longleaf Trail. Their will be both a long ride and a short ride.  We are going to use the OHV Center so that we do not over burden any one trail Head.

6/22 Date of Ride Determined

If you are interested, Post in this forum, like we did on the old Rodman Rides, so we can get a count.
   Ok I'll be there with one or two riders but how do I get to the OHV Center on FR 88 I know where Rodman Dam is but never been to FR88 ?
fastrnrik
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2006, 08:56:44 AM »

We are in. At least two, maybe more as the date gets closer. 
Busta Nutt
Supreme Member

I love a good beer buzz early in the morning

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2006, 01:25:34 PM »

I'll be there with my peeps but Terry I want to drive the coot.
AmericanRobster
Supreme Member

2006 Arctic Cat 500 TRV 4X4

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2006, 12:54:58 AM »

Can I ride my 2006 Arctic Cat TRV 4x4 out there  ( 2 UP) with my girl? I really wanna go!!! Smiley

2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road
Paul_S
Supreme Member

FloridaMotoplex.com

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2006, 08:34:10 AM »

We are in, probably 2 or 3.
scrubrat

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2006, 08:33:19 AM »

Hey Grizzly, I stay at Elite in Salt Springs and have ridden some newly marked trails in that area off of highway 316.  Really nice and was marked with the flat markers.  Is this the same area you are referring to.  I will be up there for the labor day weekend.   Last time i was up there we met some rangers and they were advising us of the new changes.  I followed the markers to the T and didnt have any issues and rode responsibly. Would like to have you be more specific as to where everyone is meeting. 
Thanks
Scrubrat

2002 Polaris 500 Sportsman HO
2001 Yamaha Raptor, white bros, jetkit, power filter, axle extenders
2004 Campmaster Toy Hauler 24'
2003 Chev Silverado SS
GrizzlyBear
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2006, 08:45:14 AM »

The meeting place is what is now called the OHV center.  Many people may remember it as the Seed Orchard.  It is located about 3 miles north of Hwy 316 (between Salt Springs and Eureka) on Forest Road 88.  This is a dirt road and takes you into about the middle of the trail system.  It is a large fenced in area that the Forest Service will let us use for group rides, so that we do not overwhelm any trailhead.  We are trying to make this the grand opening of the trail system and a introduction to the ONFA at the same time.  We will be doing a membership push at that time.  We are hoping to have TV and the newspapers there. 

We already have about 70 people signed up, so we will be doing many rides.  We will try to cover some of the trails that are for motorcycle only, atv only and multi-use trails.  The multi-use trails will allow rhinos, kubotas, rangers and the arctic cat unit like the rhino.

2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org
tallyt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2006, 08:55:39 AM »

are they going to allow 2up riding on 1 person atvs, and are helmets required
GrizzlyBear
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2006, 09:30:27 AM »

As a sponsored ride, we can only allow what the manufacturer says the vehicle is built for.  If it says no riders, then that is all we can allow.  Regarding helmets, we suggest you wear them, and if you are under 16, you must (state law)

2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2006, 02:56:09 PM »

Where's the OHV Center (old Seed Orchard) on FR 88? Does FR88 intersect with 19, somewhere between Big Scrub and Delancey? Or, how would I get there from the turnpike(coming from south)?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 02:59:09 PM by AintSkeered » Logged

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group
novadave

04 yfz450

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2006, 07:32:34 PM »

what about the guys that are into GNCC racing? There are no tracks for that , so the woods is where they practice.

HELP I NEED SOME PLACE TO RIDE!
randyz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2006, 09:19:45 AM »

My son and I will be there.
If anyone can post directions or GPS coordiates it would be appreciated.  Where is it in relation to Big Scrub?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com