Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Class A drivers advice wanted  (Read 5329 times)
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2006, 08:17:22 AM »

I'm looking into getting my Class A for my company and they are willing to train,,,,,I'm smart enough to know that I don't know all there is to know about hauling 75K pounds plus and am looking for any tips from experienced people.

anything?

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
Joedirt
Supreme Member

I am a FloridaMud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 08:58:50 AM »

Learn that your Mirrors are you best friend.

Know that cars do not care if you have to get over or change lanes.

Practice shifting , smoother the shifting the better the ride.

Understand and learn how to pre-trip a truck and trailer.

Whenever you go anywhere , do not pull in unless you look ahead and see your way out.

I assume you have trailered bikes before, that will give you the basics of roadway etiquette.

Master backing up the rig and trailer.

You have to anticipate everyone Else's moves on the highway.

2005 Vinson 4x4
2003 Big Bear 4x4
2001 Prarie 4x4
1987 Dirty Dakota Mud truck on 35 inch Boggers
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 02:55:13 PM »

First thing you're gonna need is some naked lady mudflaps...that's a must.

It really says "Hey, look at me, chicks dig me". 

Which is a must when you're trying to score commercial beaver in the parking lot behind the Risque Cafe.

UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."
Da_Mtg_Man
extraordinaire
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 03:19:52 PM »

First thing you're gonna need is some naked lady mudflaps...that's a must.

It really says "Hey, look at me, chicks dig me". 

Which is a must when you're trying to score commercial beaver in the parking lot behind the Risque Cafe.

They're called lot lizards!

FLORIDA MUD RIDER
arod
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 08:20:36 AM »

safety is your main priority. in the world of trucks it's almost like atv's, the big rig is the killer, not the idiot in the small car that cut you off. truckers have to be somewhat 'phsycic'. you have to be thinking one step ahead as an 80k lbs is not as easy to stop or react than a car. and next is compliance with DOT. if they are offering you training then go for it. welcome to the world of the trucker,we drive america.
Southern4x4
Supreme Member

Turn off them blinkers to save blinker fluid.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 08:37:49 AM »

yall forgot the most important thing check your straps!!!well good luck and truck on  we got your back door.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 08:42:11 AM by Southern4x4 » Logged

[><]Southern by the grace of God[><]
Magnum330

Having Fun on ATV.Com Now Lets Ride

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 12:04:28 AM »

Hey don't forget to get the hazmat also. That's a case all by it's self. Goodluck and you can use your atvflorida name for your CB handle, Ida_Man

you just might get ask what you the man for? 10-4 their good buddy Grin

Donnie
Meet ya out on the trail.
4fittyr

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 10:45:41 AM »

east bound and down rollin up and trucking we're gonna do what they say can't be done, we got a long way to go and a short time to get there   watch ol bandit run  good luck good buddy 10-4  lol

if u can't be good be good at it
MuddFreak77
Supreme Member

I found out who my friends are

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 11:07:51 AM »

How bout ya pigpen ya got a copy.....   CONVOY

Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

'07 Suzuki King Quad
3k Warn Winch
GPS

2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel, 6 way hand
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 01:51:59 PM »

getting the Class B license this weekend,,,,getting comfortable and going from there.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

'00 Honda TRX90
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
honda guy250

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 02:18:25 PM »

im going through the process of getting mine right now and will probbly go the same route with my B first. with that you can tow up to 9,999 lbs, that should do for a lil while.
Asphaltdragon
Supreme Member

Florida Atv Rally Sponsor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 03:02:02 PM »

Hope everything works out for ya. I have held a Class A license for over 11 years. Asphaltdragron was my CB handle Cool Joe Dirt had alot of common princples that apply to trucking. Rigs carry different loads, machines, dry bulk, liquids, lumber, and commodites on different types of trailers - Flatbed, Dropdeck, Tank, Lowboy, Detach, Landoll, Van, Refer, & Dump trailers. Different rules come with each trailer you pull and the load it carries. If you will be trained by the company that awesome! That will take alot of the pressure off of you at the begining.

Always know your height and width at all times.
Know what is next to you at all times in case of and emergency lane change.
In time you will learn how to keep cars out of your blind spots.

Hope that helps
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 03:05:18 PM by Asphaltdragon » Logged

Yellow '02 Honda 400 EX +ATP
Yellow '01 Bombardier Traxter XT
Orange '02 DS 650 Baja
Da_Mtg_Man
extraordinaire
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 03:15:39 PM »

Hope everything works out for ya. I have held a Class A license for over 11 years. Asphaltdragron was my CB handle Cool Joe Dirt had alot of common princples that apply to trucking. Rigs carry different loads, machines, dry bulk, liquids, lumber, and commodites on different types of trailers - Flatbed, Dropdeck, Tank, Lowboy, Detach, Landoll, Van, Refer, & Dump trailers. Different rules come with each trailer you pull and the load it carries. If you will be trained by the company that awesome! That will take alot of the pressure off of you at the begining.

Hope that helps

If there is a car next to you and you need to get over then just start slowly inching into their lane, They will get out of the way, If nothing else the look on their face will have you laughing for the rest of the day. Cheesy

FLORIDA MUD RIDER
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 03:19:44 PM »

Hope that helps

If there is a car next to you and you need to get over then just start slowly inching into their lane, They will get out of the way, If nothing else the look on their face will have you laughing for the rest of the day. Cheesy

LOL!!!
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 12:40:59 AM »

1) You're gonna need a really cool handle...."Is rubber Ducky taken?" "What about SNOWMAN?"
2) Always carry a camera, because apparently, women love to flash truckers, or at least according to the website my wife posts on.
3) You have to be able to pull off the "I've been up for 7 days on meth look, without freaking everyone out"
4) If you're name can't fit on a belt buckle, this might not be the job for you.
5) Jake Break as much as possible between the hours of 2am and 5am in residential neighborhoods.

That's the only 5 things that I learned in TRUCK DRIVING COLLEGE.

UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."
CABLEGUY1
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 05:05:38 PM »

Rule #1. Don't tailgate people just because you're in a big truck and they got in front of you. You may get that one idiot that gets out at the light,climbs your ladder and tries to drag you out the window. "Man was I stupid in my younger short fuse days". Oh yeah,always creep up to the red lights when in traffic in case you see the proffessional woman with her hair up wearing a short skirt not paying attention while talking on her cell phone, uh uh oh um ah sorry, I must have gotten carried away. Anyways,good luck.
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 10:50:56 PM »

Hope that helps

yeah, the only trailers I will be hauling are the typical barn-door types to haul pallets of computers and such,,,,and the every once in a while the Disaster Recovery trailers that are basically a mobile computer-server room and have about a foot clearance on the bottom of the trailer,,,so I guess that would be called a Lowboy.

and if anyonesms a 30' long box truck driving around Orlando in the next few days not looking like the driver knows where he is going and a big blue "RentSys" on the sides,,,,,gimme a wave ;-)

Id@

Id@ M@nn

'00 Honda TRX90
PureLogic

I am a Florida Mud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2006, 05:37:17 PM »

im going through the process of getting mine right now and will probbly go the same route with my B first. with that you can tow up to 9,999 lbs, that should do for a lil while.

Uhh I think you can drive anything with out a trailer? No weight restrictions? (Up to legal limit)

PureLogic

I am a Florida Mud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2006, 05:40:42 PM »

http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/ddl/dlclass.html#cdl

Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2006, 10:40:09 PM »

just an update,,,I got the test all done and passed for the Class B on Saturday,,,,the instructor was a good guy and I missed two things on the pre-trip, didn't hit any cones on any of the basic skills tests and passed the road test "very well" was his words.

funny thing, I could tell when I was missing something on the pre-trip when he just stared silently at me,,,,,,,,then he said "hope it doesn't rain today",,,,,so I then remembered to check that the wipers were working ;-)

Id@

Id@ M@nn

'00 Honda TRX90
Asphaltdragon
Supreme Member

Florida Atv Rally Sponsor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2006, 08:50:49 AM »

congradulations!!! Ida Cool

Yellow '02 Honda 400 EX +ATP
Yellow '01 Bombardier Traxter XT
Orange '02 DS 650 Baja
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print