Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does oil go bad over time?  (Read 2573 times)
Shotgun
Supreme Member

2003 Yamaha Kodiak, 2004 Suzuki Eiger, 2007 Seadoo

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: May 21, 2006, 07:10:51 PM »

I noticed that the oil change sticker on my truck gives the mileage and date the oil needs to be changed. If I change the oil in my ATV, and then don't ride for 5 months, do I need to change the oil again?
Toomey
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 07:12:43 PM »

Not positive but I highly doubt it.  I'd probably change it just to start fresh after such a long time.  It's preety cheap, and I like the wrenching.

Looking for a junker dirt bike project.
53yfz450
Supreme Member

Following hurts more than Leading!!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 08:11:13 PM »

yeah your better off changing it. its cheap. also change your gas.

WEB SITE IS COMING BACK UP SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   
  http://HTTP://GANDGRACING.COM CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!

http://myspace.com/jakegunn53

motocross is all about momentum if you hit it doin a 100 ya gonna  make it across.
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 08:16:03 PM »

yea if my bike sat for 5 months id probabyl change the oil and always change the filter with it there so cheap, y not. if you have a air filter and rode before you put it away for 5 months id clean that too.
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 10:12:25 PM »

dont let your bike sit for 5 months! i would change the oil. and definately the gas!!!
Old_School
Supreme Member

It ain't fast without mixed gas....

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 12:52:36 PM »

I love google:

"
  Posted Mon September 26 2005 02:40 PM 
According to leading oil analysis companies in the U.S., as well as a Technical Bulletin (#863)published by Mobil Oil, Oil itself does not "break down". The base oil will always remain the base oil. However, many factors cause an oil to become less and less efficient at lubricating.

According to the Mobil Oil Technical Bulletin #863, "Oil does not wear-out, break-down, or otherwise deteriorate to the point that it needs to be replaced. It does become contaminated with water, acids, carbon and sludge so that it can no longer provide the protection needed for high precision engine components."

Ultra-fine filtration (less than one micron) can substantially reduce the contaminates to a point where the oil is "better than new". However, there are factors that must be considered.

First, engine oil if formulated with many additives. There are additives to reduce foaming, clean the engine internals, modify the viscosity, and hold particulate. Using a sub-micron filter can remove (strip) any additive that is held "in suspension" (dispersed) from the oil, if it is larger than the micron rating of the filter. Any additive that is "in solution" (dissolved) in the oil will not be removed. According to Mobil, only the viscosity modifier is "in suspension" and able to be removed. But there is an exception. The dirt holding molecules in the oil can be removed after the dirt has begun to cling to these molecules. I will show why this is important in a moment.

Second, the filter must not only remove the particulate contamination, but also the moisture, oxides, acids and sludge to be the most effective. Without removing these contaminants, your engine will start to eat itself away from the inside.

Therefore, if you can continually filter the oil through a filter that is rated to less than one micron, remove the oxides, acid, sludge and moisture, you can effectively keep your oil at better than new specifications.

Used oil that is already dirty (called wasted), has been contaminated to the point that this technique will remove the beneficial additives right along with the contamination. So this whole process would need to be performed on equipment that has had a thorough cleaning and oil and filter change. This should allow you to use the oil indefinitely, only sampling for analysis. "

90' LT500R Quadzilla
Breathing fire and crushing cities

92' LT250R Quadracer
Some stuff done. 75+mph (Sold)

"When this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious $%#!" - Christopher Lloyd
Hoosier Daddy
Southern Flat Track League
Supreme Member

Team WareRacing Member #07

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 01:49:51 PM »

You know what bothers me? when we wait to pull oil out from the ground after a million years of it sitting there and we pulled it out one day late, now its bad.. sucks to throw out all that oil... Wink

BLISS Feed, Hay, and Race Fuels Zephyrhills, Fl
"Character is what you have when no one is looking"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com