Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how does a DS650 hold up in the long run.  (Read 6751 times)
TurboBanshee_kid
Supreme Member

banshee's 4 life and 2stroke's 4 life!!!!!!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2005, 04:57:49 PM »

do u or your freinds have  a DS650 do they like it or not. do u have anything thing  u don't like about the bike your should i not get a DS650?

New to the Engine 421cc Cheetah Cubs that are fully race ported, Hot Rods 4mm Stroker Crank, Ricky Stator fly wheel and 200watt stator also timing plate is at +5, NOSS Head with 17cc domes, V force 3 reeds and 36mm MIKUNI Flat Slide carbs
cain73
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 05:18:07 PM »

I have had mine for over a year now and have had no problems at all. It's an 04 Racer. The Baja is the same bike with a few extras like the nerfs for a little more money. The only down side to the DS is that it sits high, just like the other big quads out there like the KFX and the Raptor. The difference is that the DS has a much better suspension, and from what I have seen it also has better power. They can all be modded but when I was all stock I never lost to a stock KFX or Raptor. I don't know too much about the KFX but the DS is definitely more reliable than the Raptor. The DS would not be my first choice for the track but for everything else it is the best quad in my opinion. If you are going to buy a big quad I think the DS is the best one out there. Check out atvconnection  go tothe forum section and then to the Bombardier section for tons of info on the DS.

floridaatv.com come join the fun
T2
Supreme Member

It's Better To Be The Predator Than the Prey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 06:52:27 PM »

I have had mine for over a year now and have had no problems at all. It's an 04 Racer. The Baja is the same bike with a few extras like the nerfs for a little more money. The only down side to the DS is that it sits high, just like the other big quads out there like the KFX and the Raptor. The difference is that the DS has a much better suspension, and from what I have seen it also has better power. They can all be modded but when I was all stock I never lost to a stock KFX or Raptor. I don't know too much about the KFX but the DS is definitely more reliable than the Raptor. The DS would not be my first choice for the track but for everything else it is the best quad in my opinion. If you are going to buy a big quad I think the DS is the best one out there. Check out atvconnection  go tothe forum section and then to the Bombardier section for tons of info on the DS.

Thats funny a Bombardier is more reliable than a Yamaha, thats a first. Grin
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 06:52:50 PM by tony » Logged

bluesman
Supreme Member

03 ds650baja/03kfx 400/ 03kfx 450

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 07:57:22 PM »

i agree ds650 best bike ever!!!!agree less problems then yamaha Grin
cain73
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 11:40:46 AM »

Don't get your panties in a wad T2Raptor. There a good and bad stories for all makes depending on who you talk to. I can say that in my experience the Bomb has proven more reliable. The DS and the Raptor both had their probs early on, but while I have never been towed by a Yamaha, I have towed a couple of others including a Raptor. And the DS has a far superior suspension. The Raptor was manufactured with the old Banshee suspension, which is the only short coming of the Banshee. This is not a "mine is better than yours" it is information based on my experiences to help someone make a decision.

T2
Supreme Member

It's Better To Be The Predator Than the Prey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 01:50:34 PM »

So since you towed one Raptor, and the suspension is'nt that great, that makes the DS650 a more reliable bike, makes no sense. I don't think any stock bike has great suspension, thats why so many people replace there suspension with aftermaket shocks for a better ride, so I don't see how suspension makes a bike more reliable than another.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 01:52:25 PM by tony » Logged

yamadooski
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 01:58:30 PM »

With the DS650 its nice if you like open fast trails.
The suspension is good and the whole thing is built like a tank and also weighs like a tank so dont get stuck. Huh

Now the only real place to ride it is ONF or some big field.
WE have a buddy that has one and complains everytime we decide to go to croom.

There is a guy that has one that races FTR in XC.
I think he's selling his cause he hits to many trees.

If you are dead set on getting one good for you. Dont let others discourage you. Im only telling you how I see it in the woods since thats where I spend all my time.
Good luck in with your choice.

Obamma smells and if you voted for him you are a COMMY #$$$hole
dreth

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 03:23:43 PM »

the most reliable quad is the one that gets maintained the best [smiley=ThumbsUp.gif]unless ofcourse you buy a honda, then you got the best either way Wink
bbf
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2005, 03:39:48 PM »

out of all the quad i have owen the honda see the shop the lease
customrubicon
Supreme Member

It's Time To ride, B4 The Mud Gets Dry !!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2005, 03:56:43 PM »

Go honda !!!  [smiley=Clap.gif] [smiley=ThumbsUp.gif]I only know two people with the ds650, one is bluesman (Baha) and another friend of mine. They both really like them. The one owns a raptor and the ds650. He uses them for different types of riding.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/customrubicon/fmrsig-2.jpg

2003 rubicon
2002 kingquad
2004 LRX 90
2004 LRX 50
1979 bronco
2004 rhino
big-daddy
Defender of the secret society!
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 04:08:08 PM »

yamaha rules ( your Honda doesnt see the shop because it stay at home) buy a 2 stroke and feel the power. just kidding shelton I own a Honda too...... Pilot.

I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
cain73
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 04:15:07 PM »

This is not going to be a long drawn out thing t2raptor : you can try to twist what I said in to extreme's but it doesn't change the meaning of the post. You think Yamaha is more reliable ... fine. I explained that in my experience, and from what many have told me about the quads in question (DS650 vs Raptor) that I believe the DS to be more reliable. You're entitled to your opinion, I have mine. The suspension is much better on the DS inplying that it is a better buy compared to the raptor which needs an instant aftermarket upgrade which should be considered before buying either. That says nothing about reliability. However, I still believe and say that the DS is more reliable thatn the Raptor. Yes I have towed 1 Raptor, that's still 1 more than time thatn a Raptor has towed my DS  Grin.
The DS is heavy , as is any other big quad (KFX or Raptor). each has pros and cons.
The DS is wide = stable and harder to get through a narrow opening. But many with extended A-arms still ride Croom with no problem. Some of which are wider than the  DS. I personally ride Croom and have no prob staying with or ahead of those I ride with. While the DS will make you more aware of how much room there is between a pair of trees, It offers stability and the power to do what you need even if you have to go wide (not often).  
I would not recommend (as previously stated) the DS for the track. it sits high and is heavy. going to ride track ... get a 450 or pred or something.
and regardless of what quad you get there will be some one to change the shocks for name recognition, or ideals of how great they ride and must have a 2k worth suspension. There are those that need it, but (again speaking from experience) from what I've seen the DS offers enough stock suspension to cover about anything you are going to do short of going professional. I haven't jumped as much as Dreth or some others, but for  8 feet of air and distances of 35-50 feet the DS is great. The comment about the Raptor suspension was to show that it has the same shocks as the Banshee when it came out in (around- cause I forget exactly) 87. They are way outdated and need to be replaced before almost any jumping considering the raptor's weight.
Again this is not a "mine is better then yours" but me relaying info from experience and my opinion about the DS. Many quads are better suited for other applications, or other riders. I just hate people talking trash especially when most of them have never ridden the quad they are downing. The Ds is very reliable. it has the same engine as the BMW 650 motorcycle. That says something. It has been labeled "bulletproof" by magazine articles. that is good since that is a term usually used to describe Honda. If they compare the Rotax 650 engine to Honda it's a good thing. All around good quad. Like it or lump it there it is.

dreth

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2005, 04:49:54 PM »

this an age old front porch arguement that will never be won nor should it be started because its only opinions , no facts in opinions!
now as for lumps......youll need 2 lumps in a double shot of expresso to keep up with us honda guys [smiley=Clap.gif]
m0n5teR

What the heck is a polaris??????

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2005, 05:03:31 PM »

If you want a little bit of both worlds dont get either the Ds or the rappy.Go buy a predator you wont be disapointed.Also i have a friend who has a ds650 that our mutual friend built for him and he totaly loves it.It boils down to what you like and what your gona do with the bike [smiley=Clap.gif]

Take me Drunk,I'm home!!!!!!
yamadooski
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2005, 06:09:51 PM »

Hey Cain all that matters is that you like your quad....Im glad to see someone stick up for what they like and believe in.
Enjoy your DS650.

Obamma smells and if you voted for him you are a COMMY #$$$hole
dreth

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2005, 07:35:24 PM »

Hey Cain all that matters is that you like your quad....Im glad to see someone stick up for what they like and believe in.
Enjoy your DS650.

i believe that is what t2raptor did and i know i expressed the honda a few times.
thats what its all about! being happy with what you have , not what he or she has. well said yamadooski Wink
mudnuri
Supreme Member

06 YFZ

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2005, 02:32:15 PM »

I have an 03 Baja. It is bad as Hell. My friend has a Raptor. It is bad as Hell, too.
Unless you are racing, then the factory suspension will be fine on both. It is a fact that the DS has a better factory suspension than ANY FACTORY quad out there. This doesn't include the ATK/Cannondale or Gas Gas. Those are race machines.
I have ridden them all. The DS is by far the most comfortable. It is not the most nimble. I race FTR xc and have been ejected many times from hitting trees. So have every other kind of quads.
With aftermarket products you can alter the hieght by 2". But it's still a 500lbs. machine. I have tried my luck at ThunderCross. I bottom out on the doubles and table-tops. It would do this a Raptor, too.
Do what I did and get on them both. Decide which feels better for you.
Aside from crashing and bending things, I have had no problems. The Rotax 650 is the same engine BMW uses in one of their streetbikes. Very dependable. But so is a Honda!
Whatever you decide is a good choice. There really are no Bad quads are there? Well except maybe Polaris! Just kidding.

Brian Morris
06 YFZ
FTR#108 SENIOR
Don't litter
Respect life
mud-n-ur-i
mudnuri
Supreme Member

06 YFZ

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2005, 05:25:39 AM »

I guess it is time to eat some crow.
I am supposed to be at a race today but since my carb is broken I will miss out on some year end points. :-(
After getting my new wheels and tires mounted, I went to start it and it would only idle. After that it would bog, spit & sputter/black smoke, and die.
I took it (carb)apart to find the diaphram damaged somehow. Race over. I ride mine VERY HARD. Things happen under these conditions no matter what machine you buy/own.
The reason I am posting this is I forgot to mention the parts issue or lack of parts issue.
Since there are hardly any sales of these quads, there are hardly any parts on any shelves. Except in Canada where they are made. So you have to order and wait. I am sure if it was a Raptor, I would be racing today. IMO

Brian Morris
06 YFZ
FTR#108 SENIOR
Don't litter
Respect life
mud-n-ur-i
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2005, 06:22:55 PM »

There is no completly reliable bike... NO, HOnda that includes yall to. My buddy owns a ATV shop and there are just as many hondas and yamahas and polaris and suzuki ect.. If you lined up 20 DS650s and 20 RAptors and sent them out one by one till they break following the same pattern with unlimited gas they won't all break down in the same place! There might be a raptor then a ds then 2 more rappys and so on and so on.. What i'm sayin is that it depends on the way you ride and where you ride. Like if you ride a raptor or a DS through a deep mud hole over and over it will break down quicker than if you ride it on the dunes. Also no two bikes are the same as the first. Who knows somebody could have froggot their coffe at the factory and not connected a wire on your bike tightly as it should have been and it will quit on you on the trail and then somebody is gonna say it isn't reliable? Huh Thats not right!

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
IhaveGasGas

ahh what a drag?!? we race... you lose

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2005, 07:06:36 PM »

my brother has a 2001 DS (was on the first truck load that came into the states. because he ordered his before they were released) anyway he has beaten the crap out of it, with only a few minor problems, such as the radiator hose blowing off during severe mud riding and the CDI just recently went out (a $10 ebay fix).

he moddified it with the Ron Woods Stage 1 kit early on and it has never had so much as a hick up. very powerful, a handful in tight woods (as everyone has stated).

he has no problems running with moddified raptors and banshees (i dont know about the new 450's - YFZ/R) but he can keep up with my Wild HP.

could just be the rider, i dont know but the machine has been dependable.

GasGas Wild 450
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com