Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Might be time to sell my bike. Need Suggestions Please!  (Read 1898 times)
Toomey
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 18, 2006, 06:31:09 PM »

Well, my topend went, the piston and cylinder.  So I'm looking at $300 to get it running again.  The problem is that there might be peices of circlips down in the bottom end, and I personally don't feel like splitting the bottom end.  Lips Sealed  So I'd take it do a shop, and I'm guessing I'd look at $300 or so to split the bottom end and replace a few this and thats.  So I'd be spending $600 on a $1600 bike, that would still be 10 years old and counting. 
I've got like $300 or so, with about $80 a week coming in, plus if I part out the bike on ebay, I should be able to rake in some more.  Plus I'll work the rest of the summer, and I should have a cool $2000, enough to get a very nice 2000+ bike.

So my main questions are, should I part the bike out, or sell it whole?  I can get $800 for the bike as is.  How much can I get by parting out a nice bike?  Can I live without going riding for a few months?  Bonk Grind Flaming Give Hell Cursing Bang Head Smash No. No. TskTsk Help! Gosh
I'm kinda leaning to just getting rid of the bike, holding out for a few months, and feasting on a worthy bike, perhaps a CR500 or a nice new 250.  Maybe an off-road big four stroke if I can afford one.

Anyone have any suggestions?  I'm heading into 12th grade, and that'll be my last year of riding till I head off to the military.  Still trying to figure out which branch would be best for me.  I just want my last year of care free and easy living in the near future to be on a nice bike and be doing lots of riding.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 07:00:31 PM by Toomey » Logged

Looking for a junker dirt bike project.
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 07:07:46 PM »

forgive me, but I dunno what kind of bike you have,,,,and I'm sure the info would be helpful to others in answering your question.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
Toomey
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 07:24:53 PM »

A '96 RM250, sorry.  Cheesy

Paul_S
Supreme Member

FloridaMotoplex.com

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 08:48:54 PM »

If you can get $800 for a blown 96 rm250 I would jump on it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 09:24:51 PM by Paul_S » Logged
jetski dawg

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 09:22:05 PM »

sell the bike whole.. parting out is a pain ,plus youll end up with half the bike still..put it on the cycletrader or a motorcycle swap meet.. then join the air force and learn a trade like auto mechanics
Exmx54
Supreme Member

MX rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 10:15:09 PM »

If you can get $800 for a blown 96 rm250 I would jump on it.

I agree with him. That's a lot of money for that bike. Just work your butt off and for around 2000 you can get yourself a nice 2001+ RM250, and trust me, you won't know how you used to ride the 96 once you get on the new bike!
dynodon
Supreme Member

Ocala racing team

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 08:56:37 AM »

Ther are several things that only you can decide here. For example; If you are going into the military, do you want a " NEW" bike that you are making payments on and only a few hrs to ride it once in awhile ??where are you going to be stationed, can you bring a bike to the base ??   Also although you might be out of riding for a little bit either way  ,which best suits your needs, new bike or fix this one that is paid for??
 I personally suggest fixing the one that you have, you know how its been services, and how it handles, On top of you are young, you don`t need to head off into the "real" world @ your age with a payment. There is plenty of time left for those.
 Just my 2 Cents though Wink

The " Black Pearl "
No, you dont want NONE of it
Toomey
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 09:31:43 AM »

Ther are several things that only you can decide here. For example; If you are going into the military, do you want a " NEW" bike that you are making payments on and only a few hrs to ride it once in awhile ??where are you going to be stationed, can you bring a bike to the base ??   Also although you might be out of riding for a little bit either way  ,which best suits your needs, new bike or fix this one that is paid for??
 I personally suggest fixing the one that you have, you know how its been services, and how it handles, On top of you are young, you don`t need to head off into the "real" world @ your age with a payment. There is plenty of time left for those.
 Just my 2 Cents though Wink

Nah, I'm ending my 11th grade year, planning on working the summer, and getting a bike to ride all of 12th grade, and selling at the end of the year.  I won't have a bike during the 4 or 6 years I'm in the military.
exmx54, I have heard that the newer bikes are just plain better than the older ones, more power, better suspension, plus the fact that they are newer.
So you guys are saying sell for $800 if I can, or just part it out?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com