Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You Say It Will Never Happen  (Read 6760 times)
LakeMaryKid
Supreme Member

Just a good ole' boy never meanin no harm.

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2005, 05:20:40 AM »

I pulled this from DavidsATVZone. Seems like a good thing to read once in a while to keep perspective.

I got this off of a snowmobile forum I frequent and this was written for a snowmobiler but it sure as heck applies to all of us with quads. I think you will realise why I made this a sticky after you are done reading it.

"My friends and I are probably just like you. We are all in our late twenties to early thirties, and single white males. We have pretty good jobs; some own their house, others rent. We hunt and fish, watch football and NASCAR, go to bars and church festivals. We have problems with women, like fast cars and Schwartzeneggar movies. We think we can dance, but look like Frankenstein having a seizure when a girl drags us onto the floor. We could probably switch places with any of you and fit right into your group.

We have owned sleds from all manufacturers over the years. Our first sleds were junkpiles and we still make fun of them. We work on our own sleds and help each other with theirs. We watch the weather forecasts waiting for snow and read all the snowmobiling magazines drooling over the new sleds. We put 600 miles on the truck to put 200 on the sled. We have all entered corners too fast, and all missed turns at night at one time or another. We laughed at slow riders that putted along at 15 mph. We rode with the feeling of invincibility that only youth can bring.

Our youth ended February 14, 2003.

In a small town about 10 miles South of Crandon, at 11:00 PM my friend Jim Smolen lost his life. He was only 28. He died within a half mile of the cabin, within half an hour of unloading the sleds off of the trailer. The reconstruction showed that he hit a stump under the snow, was thrown off, and hit a tree. At least he didn't suffer. Excessive speed was believed to have been involved, even though the sled wasn't wrecked. It looked like he just stepped off of it. He did have ONE or TWO beers, but I must say that I have seen people drink much more - I'm not condoning it, but I know you have too. Jim was riding as long as I can remember, 5+ years at least, riding the same sled he had for three years. We have all seen the articles in the papers that give little detail; letting us assume it was an inexperienced rider, totally drunk, on a brand new, huge displacement sled.

What the newspaper articles do not show is how it affects everyone else. They don't show the undescribable horror of seeing a close friend lying in the snow bleeding from the eyes, ears, nose and mouth. They don't show the blank stare in his unblinking eyes as you try to remember the CPR you learned in high school. They don't show the panic felt during the longest half mile you will ever ride back to the cabin to call 911. They don't show the feeling of helplessness as you spend the longest HALF HOUR of your life waiting for an ambulance. They don't tell about men who haven't prayed in years dropping to their knees and saying a prayer. They don't show the feeling of uneasiness as you drive HIS truck to the hospital. They don't show the cold you feel as you wait until 4:30AM when the doctors give you the news you already knew but still can't bring yourself to hear. They don't tell the flood of emotions you feel as you have to call your friend's parents in the middle of the night to tell them that their son has died. They don't mention that none of his friends will get any sleep for days. They don't mention the nightmares when they do. They don't tell about the DNR showing up at 8:00AM the next day to fill out paperwork and make them relive it all again. They don't tell about grown men breaking down and crying. They don't tell about the longest, quietest drive home ever.

His roommate is the one who found him, called his parents, and drove his truck home. He has closed the kitchen window blinds so he doesn't have to see his truck. He had to close the kitchen cabinet to keep from seeing his box of corn flakes. He is now afraid of the dark. Our season is over.

The human body is so frail, so easily damaged. If you have an accident in a big city, help is only about five minutes away. If you have an accident in the north woods help could be forty miles away or more. Think about it: that's like having an accident in Milwaukee and having to wait for an ambulance from Illinois. And then having to go to a hospital back in Illinois.

I am not asking for speed limits, or other restrictions. Just please, PLEASE be careful. Slow down just a little. Skip that beer and have a soda instead. Ask yourself if it is worth the consequences to go flying through the woods. Your friends WILL wait for you. Death is forever. Think of all the good times you would miss. Take a little time and look at the beauty of nature. There are those that no longer can.

We laid Jim to rest today. If only one person is affected by this pointless loss, and a single life is saved, Jim's death would have meaning and all of us could have some closure.

I know you think that this only happens to "the other guy". So did we. Just like you."

Careful out there everyone. Next time you even wonder about making a foolish move, think about this letter please.

2003 KFX 400
1994 F-150 - 12" SAS 38.5 Boggers
2007 F-150 Supercrew FX4 Luxury
2004 14' Mirrocraft
Tmack

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 05:48:40 AM »

Thanks LaKeMaRyKid if that doesn't make you think the next time you are out with friends weather on ATV's or Dirtbike's Then you better wake up before you sleep forever.. (Stacy) Tmacks wife. Im sure we have all been there or done that and like he said thinks "It won't happen to us..."
IhaveGasGas

ahh what a drag?!? we race... you lose

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 07:38:16 PM »

i've been there before... thinking "what we are about to do is incredibly stupid, but what are the chances that anything bad could happen" ...

last summer we were at a friends house, we had 2 moddified race quads = no lights. it was pitch dark, the moon wasnt even out. we started riding around slowly at first and then faster and faster until that inevitable moment when we're both flying across a field at top speed, heading right towards each other without even blinking and then BAM his front tire clips my back tire and we both go over the bars and rolling to a violent stop.  

i lucked out and only got a few scratches but he fractured his skull and was in the hospital for a few months. even with those results i consider us very lucky, we both could have gotten hurt real bad. now i listen to that voice in my head.

i think Honda sums it up best ...  STUPID HURTS!!!

GasGas Wild 450
Super Dave

THE GRASS IS ALLWAYS GREEN ON MY SIDE!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005, 10:17:10 PM »

this is why i have a 01' CBR F4i that sits in my garage been there sitting for almost 2 yrs. costs me $230.00 month and thats for 2 more yrs total $12,000 with financing.  on the dyno 104hp at the rear tire,top speed 168mph i road with 2 local stunt clubs Fort Myers street freaks and the Fort Myers team extreme.i have road rash on 25% of my body and thats with leathers on. it was fun lots of fun, then i lost 1 good friend. then i lost another one. thats when i new it was time to stop. YOU JUST HAVE TO NOW WHEN TO SAY WHEN

02' ex 400 stock kinda it looks stock
dreth

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 10:19:45 AM »

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,  Cry that is a powerful find there LMK! as fast as we were riding a rodman this weekend it could have happened to any of us. will we learn? I wont, I will continue to pray for my safety any all the other riders around me and just keep my faith that has brought me this far. my prayers go out to the folks in that story and to every other person that has to experience something like that.
that is why i like one way trails or tracks so that type of stuff is avoided.
dreth

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 05:16:58 AM »

i cant believe this hasnt had more responses Shocked
LakeMaryKid
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 05:41:38 AM »

yeah me too!  Shocked Only 4? Jees, and your welcome Dreth  Kiss

2003 KFX 400
2004 14' Mirrocraft
Chris505

JUST ADD DIRT!!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 05:44:54 AM »

Terriable story but could happen to anyone... that is why i dont drink...  I like to be on guard at all times...

It does make you think.. Thanks for sharing

05' KFX 700- mine
05' Raptor 350-my sons
04' Quadsport 250- my wifes
SkyHighT100
Supreme Member

Enough Bullsh*t... LETS RIDE!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005, 05:55:07 AM »

It may be a long post, but it is definately worth reading. I think it is the length of the post that scares people, lol. It did me for about a week... but now here I sit at work... with freakin tears in my eyes, lol. I havent lost any friends from ATV accidents, but have lost a few from freak car accidents and a drug overdose/ER mistake back in high school. I wasnt nearly as close to them as I am to the friends I have now, great people that I have met through this website, and even then it hurt like hell.

Every now and then I cant help but to think what it would be like without them. What would my days be like without talking to that person? How could I ever ride again, knowing that every where I go to ride I would have rode with them? How could I get through the days knowing that I'll never get to see thier smile, never get to hold them close, and never again get to tell them I love them? There are a few people in my life, one in particular, that I truely can not imagine a day without them.

When we ride, we all push our limits, its part of the sport and human nature. But before every ride, or every night before bed, I say a silent prayer in hopes of protecting all the ones that I love and cherish. Prayer is one of the most powerful forces known. I may not be able to personally protect someone, but I know a few angels with some jet powered wings who can.  Grin
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 05:58:03 AM by humrz28 » Logged

The true measure of a man is how high he bounces after hitting the bottom

Proud owner of an '06 LTR and a '00 300EX... both have too many mods to list Smiley

http://www.myspace.com/humrz28
Da_Mtg_Man
extraordinaire
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005, 06:05:47 AM »

Good  find Curtis. Thanks for posting that, It makes you stop and think.

FLORIDA MUD RIDER
dreth

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2005, 03:37:33 PM »

... but now here I sit at work... with freakin tears in my eyes,

Im man enough to say that i cried too [smiley=Cry.gif]
LMK , this will touch many Wink
J.D.
Supreme Member

I can see the concrete slowly creepin .

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2005, 04:08:08 PM »

It HURTS.

Arctic Cat 500 man. Dyno Jet , Snoorky , 14's , Cup Holder , Pro-Com CDI , K&N filter , .......To Be Continued ! 2001 Suzuki RM 250 ,Fatty Pipe , FMF muff ...
BIGWORM3699 ( ECP RACING)
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2005, 04:15:42 PM »

I started thinking like that when my first kid was born I thought how sellfish of me to do somthing stupid and ruin so much, so I stoped all the stupid risky stuff to live long and see my kids grow up. My #1  fear is not seeing my kids grow up.Im glad others have same views.  

East Coast Performance Mini Quad is your
Official Apex and DRR mini quad dealer, For your mini quad performance parts and tuning needs.
2013 polaris ranger camo
KINGQUAD, 29.5 outlaws,snorkled,rad. relocate, clutch mod.
APEX, stage6 RT 70, elka,mallosi overrange,PVL ign.
LakeMaryKid
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2005, 04:26:41 PM »

yeah to tell you the truth it actually brought a tear to my eye  Cry

2003 KFX 400
2004 14' Mirrocraft
Chuck_Norris

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2005, 07:19:40 PM »

[smiley=ThumbsUp.gif] every comment on here has more meaning that anyone will ever know. It pains me see things like a young kid on a 660 Raptor blasting around when inside I know that it is way to much bike for that young rider. just like many on here I was reluctant to say anything and avoid the confrontation. We all take chances everyday. even that simple walk from the street to the house when getting the mail can result in a something unexpected. as long as your life is in order with the LORD you can rest assure he has the reins. Life is to short to live a shelted life, enjoy life as you feel fit to...Keep God in it.  
dreth

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2005, 03:57:15 AM »

[smiley=ThumbsUp.gif] every comment on here has more meaning that anyone will ever know. It pains me see things like a young kid on a 660 Raptor blasting around when inside I know that it is way to much bike for that young rider. just like many on here I was reluctant to say anything and avoid the confrontation. We all take chances everyday. even that simple walk from the street to the house when getting the mail can result in a something unexpected. as long as your life is in order with the LORD you can rest assure he has the reins. Life is to short to live a shelted life, enjoy life as you feel fit to...Keep God in it.  

that is what i was trying to say! thanks for the proper wording Wink
CAOSPOP

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2005, 02:43:39 PM »

I agree. One of my biggest fears is not comming home from work on day its not seeing my little girl grow up. As Ive met a few of you i'm learned that this is a terrific group of folks that accually care about eachother. Coming from Miami Fl. Im not used to that kind of treatment. When I got home I really did not remember anything that i did thoughout the week all i could remember was this weekend. I know what it is like to lose a friend in an accident especially if it happens in front of your face and at over 150mph.I guess thats why i got rid of my GSXR. I get an ich to get another one and a bad one at that all I can do is sit her and cry and morn the loss of a great friend. I hope that all you could realize that tommarow is never promised to ANYONE and that is why now is so special thats why thet call it the PRESENT!!! If you can grab hold of someone you truly love right now and tell them how special they are to you it could be your last chance.
customrubicon
Supreme Member

It's Time To ride, B4 The Mud Gets Dry !!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2005, 05:02:19 PM »

I have lost family members on sleds, both hit stumps at excessive speeds. I have also lost several friends on street bikes, most doing wheelies. I have never (thank God) lost any friends on quads. I myself no longer ride street bikes due to a severe accident leaving me permanently injured. I think that this sport is safe but as with all sports there are risks. Well let's ride. Safely !!  Cool

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/customrubicon/fmrsig-2.jpg

2003 rubicon
2002 kingquad
2004 LRX 90
2004 LRX 50
1979 bronco
2004 rhino
GregsRancher

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2005, 05:38:31 PM »

i think it was a great post and makes me realize i better slow down a little bit although still will be drinking the um soda ya. i die , i die but i sure as hell dont wanna live old. good article tho

2003 Honda Rancher S 4x4
SkyHighT100
Supreme Member

Enough Bullsh*t... LETS RIDE!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2005, 06:28:47 PM »

I want to live to be 100.. as long as I am still active.

The true measure of a man is how high he bounces after hitting the bottom

Proud owner of an '06 LTR and a '00 300EX... both have too many mods to list Smiley

http://www.myspace.com/humrz28
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com