Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Graphics-Please Help  (Read 4621 times)
jayman
Supreme Member

LTR- Love To Ride

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: April 06, 2006, 03:27:10 PM »

I just received some graphics and a seat cover from N-Style and of course no directions came with them.  Can I use soapy water (like tinting windows) to allow the graphics to move around?  Also with the seat cover do you need to allow it to get get hot (stretch) prior to stapling to the seat?  Please help me I would like to put these items on tonight. Thank you in advance.

2006 RTR Performance LTR450 #15- Mine
2008 RTR Performance TRX450R #42- Sons
2008 Poooolaris RZR #64- Wifes

www.centralfllistings.com
Toomey
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 03:31:46 PM »

The graphics I think come with a glue on them that will just stick to the plastic, so just make sure the plastic is totally clean and I think you just put them on.  The seat cover, it would probably help to have it warm so it'd be more stretchy.

Looking for a junker dirt bike project.
jayman
Supreme Member

LTR- Love To Ride

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 03:37:16 PM »

Thanks but my question is can I use water on the 3m tape or will it ruin it.  I want to use the water because I can then adjust the sticker if it does not look 100% and also I can then get all of the air bubbles out.

TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

**** Frank **** **FF&J Racing**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 03:49:43 PM »

You are correct in both statements. You can use soapy water. Make sure you put it in the sun when your done to dry it completely. Get a bondo speader or use a credit card to smooth them out. Always start in the center and work your way out. If you get any bubbles youncan't smooth out you can poke a small hole with a pin to get the air out. Also I would let the seat cover set in the sun to soften up a little. It is a lot easier to do the seat cover with 2 people. Make sure you have a something solid to do the seat cover on to get a solid shot on so the staples go all the way in. Also most trim shop will intall the seat cover for about $15 or $20. Good Luck

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.
Toomey
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 03:50:01 PM »

I'm really not sure about that one, I've never installed a set of graphics really.

Looking for a junker dirt bike project.
jayman
Supreme Member

LTR- Love To Ride

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 03:52:10 PM »

Thank you for the help.  Just as I figured with the soapy water, just did not want to ruin the glue on the 3m sticker. 

backinsaddle

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 03:53:48 PM »

I'd also use a hair dryer or heat gun to warm up the plastic and sticker
jayman
Supreme Member

LTR- Love To Ride

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 03:56:51 PM »

Good idea with the hair dryer.  Now who is up to the task of putting these graphis on my baby.  Seriously though I believe that the graphics are going to be much easier than the seat cover.  Huh

TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 04:56:15 PM »

Be careful with the hair dryer you can distort them very easily. I wouldn't use it unless you need to go on an odd shape surface.

MOTOCROSS MAVERICK
Supreme Member

RACE LIKE ITS GOING TO BE YOUR LAST RACE!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 04:58:18 PM »

Be careful with the hair dryer you can distort them very easily. I wouldn't use it unless you need to go on an odd shape surface.

i have a question. what does the hair dryer supposed to do on the odd surfaces? is it supposed to shrink it on or what?

backinsaddle

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 05:57:19 PM »

i have a question. what does the hair dryer supposed to do on the odd surfaces? is it supposed to shrink it on or what?

Helps get the glue good and tacky so the decals stick better...less likely to come off.  Doesn't matter if it's an odd surface or not.  It is easier to form the sticker to odd surfaces though as the decal will be a bit softer when warmed up some.  If you're experienced and have a good eye, you can heat the sticker before you're applying (not so hot you can't touch it, just enough to soften it up).  The only problem with heating beforehand, if you don't apply the sticker the way you want it, you may not be able to get it off to relocate it. 

You can also heat after applying the graphic, then rub the sticker on well.  I use the backing I pulled off the graphic and rub the entire sticker well with my thumb (the backing slips on the surface well)
jayman
Supreme Member

LTR- Love To Ride

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 06:24:22 PM »

I will attempt these graphics tonight and then I will  let you know the results.  Once again thanks to everyone for the quick responses.

jayman
Supreme Member

LTR- Love To Ride

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 09:13:09 AM »

Just an update, I applied the graphics using soapy water and of course that did not work.  Maybe I used to much soap or to much water but the graphics would not even stay on the plastics.  I finally got rid of the water completely and just stuck them on.  Unfortunatley I have aftermarket plastics and the graphics did not line up so I had to cut all of them.  In the end they look ok but I am not happy with the way they look so I will probabely take them off.  Once again thank of all you for the help.

TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006, 09:23:19 AM »

Heat helps them strech over curves and angles. I'm not a pro but I've done a bunch of those and learned by trial and error.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com