Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any HELP with not SMOKING?  (Read 8254 times)
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2005, 05:03:58 PM »

I would have to grab one of my favorite books to quote exactly, but I believe that Sam Clemens put it best in one of his books when he wrote about quitting cigars.

He said the only way to kick a habit like that is to remove the addiction of the mind, not the physical addiction.  So, in this case it would mean keep a fresh pack of cigs with you wherever you go and tell youreself that you can have one whenever you want, but you are stronger than that. And, if you feel a craving then have one, but keep it to half of your normal in the first week, and keep reducing by half every week thereafter till you smoke such a miniscule amount that it doesn't matter wether you have one or not.

Easier said than done for sure, but I smoked for a few years, then one day just quit without realizing it and three weeks later cleaned out my car and found a half pack of M Lights in a crumpled box.  That was January 8, 2002 at 11:30 in the morning that I had the last one as part of a steady habit.  To this day about twice a year, I will have a craving and I will go buy a pack and have one or two, but it's a reminder of why I quit,,,,that stuff stinks ;-)

I hope we all helped, and good luck.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
kawGIRL
is a Florida Mud Rider
Supreme Member

GOT GROG?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2005, 07:31:57 PM »

Thanks for the advise Ida, well I find myself coming here for support now  Grin  
It's 10:30 pm and still working  [smiley=Angry.gif] I am so sick of Power point slides they all just blur together, I could smoke a pack about now to clear my head Shocked
It would be different if it was something other than Scientific crap Angry

I am a non-smoker  Grin

big-daddy
Defender of the secret society!
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2005, 05:51:27 PM »

How are doing Kawgirl. hang in there!

I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
love_to_roost

LOVE TO ROOST

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2005, 06:20:09 AM »

Well I wouldnt be the best one for this since I quit for a year
and started back.Butyou have to have the mindset that you
really want to quit.There is no halfway about it I did real good
during the summer went 6 weeks nothing.Then like a dummy
went back to the dark side.Anyway best of luck what helped
me just think about all the nasty crap that goes with a cigg
and it almost turns you off of them.

96 warrior alba graphics renthal bars piaa light kit     11 to 1wiseco piston titanium valves 450 high lift cam 36mm mukuni with twist ,dg pipe paddles and holeshots
kawGIRL
is a Florida Mud Rider
Supreme Member

GOT GROG?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2005, 06:55:03 AM »

Well I am PROUD of myself  [smiley=Approve.gif] Spent the weekend at our camp and "NO SMOKING"!!! I got to RIDE all weekend it was awesome!  It was very cold Saturday night so we all sat around the fire, lots of people smoking and drinking it was hard but I made it! ....I don't smoke! [smiley=ThumbsUp.gif]

Thank's for all of the Post's and PM"s, It helps that there is someone out there Supporting ME!  [smiley=Hug.gif]

mudnuri
Supreme Member

06 YFZ

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2005, 01:49:03 PM »

You can do it Suz! It is an up hill battle that you can win. There will come a time where you don't think about it. That is what you feed on. How long can you go without thinking about it. I AM NOT  A SMOKER. Move on. The craving will pass and then it's another period of time that you don't think about it.
You did not come out of the womb with one. So they are not natural. Ida said something that worked for me. I had a pack around and after a week I had one but couldn't stand it and threw it away. I had to wash up and brush my teeth. NASTY! THEY ARE NASTY AND SMELL NASTY AND YOU SMELL NASTY!
Well, you know what I mean.
If it gets to tough you can try the dipping thing. Really- what's the difference? BOTH NASTY!
Keep it up and just try to think of other things. The lolly-pop thing never worked for me. JUST QUIT.
B
p.s. Hi Jeff!

Brian Morris
06 YFZ
FTR#108 SENIOR
Don't litter
Respect life
mud-n-ur-i
Drew

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2005, 08:21:44 PM »

I quit in October of 2003.  Best thing I ever did.  In order for you to successfully quit, you have to be mentally determined with a reason why you want to quit.  

My grandmother smoked her whole life, then fell and broke her back.  She had to have surgery on her back, which was successful, but because she smoked her whole life, she was not strong enough to get off of the respirator.  I watched my grandmother breathe through her neck for 600 days before she died a few weeks ago.  

150 days (5 months) of watching my grandmother suffer made me mentally determined to quit smoking.  Once I committed myself, fighting the urge was simple.  

And the longer you go without a smoke, the stronger you become.  If you give in and take one drag from someone's cigarette...you have just thrown away all of your hardwork and concentration.  Be strong and never give up...

Also, this may help...everytime you see someone light up...in your mind, think the person is putting a cat turd in their mouth...pretty soon everytime you have a craving your mind will associate the cigarette as putting dookie in your mouth and the mental habit will be easier to break.

Good Luck!!  You can do it!! Grin
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com