Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Title Problems  (Read 11106 times)
Teej

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 13, 2006, 04:08:30 PM »

Planned to take my wife and two kids to Croom for the first time this coming Mon. as there is no school and my wife got off work. So I called Croom and glad I did as I thought I could just take certificates of origin, but was told by Croom, "no", I had to bring a FL title or payment receipt showing that a title was coming.

I just got back from the Lake City tax office. I am so mad, what a freaking mess. They have no idea what is going on. They had to call Tallahassee 3 times while I was there. Here is the deal. Required Titling quads in FL is so new, not many at the tax office has done them and are not sure what to do.

4 family members, 4 quads.

ATV #1, wifes-recently bought from a guy who had it FL titled. There was no problem transfering it.

ATV #2 Sons Kazuma purchased on-line. I brought in the Kazuma certificate of origin. Not good enough. They want a "bill of sale". I told them I could bring in my credit card statement. "not good enough" I told them I could go on-line and print my order. "not good enough" I was told to contact the Internet dealer and have them fax me a bill of sale.

ATV#3 Daughters handed down Recon. Purchased brand new from the Honda dealer 5 yrs ago which I put a down payment on, then financed the rest which has been paid off for over 3 yrs. This was purchased well before FL required titling.
   So I brought the tax office what the finance company gave me when I paid off the loan. The original Honda certificate of origin, another sheet from the finance company stating that the lien was paid off as well as the Honda finance loan details contract which clearly showed the price, "TAXES PAID", down payment, total amount paid.
[KEEP IN MIND THAT THE TAG OFFICE'S MAIN CONCERN IS WHETHER OR NOT TAXES HAVE BEEN PAID OR ARE OWED BEFORE THAT WILL TITLE YOUR ATV]
Guess what I was told. not good enough, I need my bill of sale from over 5 years ago. I don't have it. They told me to have the dealer fax me something. After arguing, they agreed that the loan application information would be enough to use.

ATV#4 I bought this used from a guy over 6 years ago. The guy bought it new, financed it, paid it off and had the Kawasaki certificate of origin as well as a document stating that the lien had been paid off.
   Well all I can find is the Kawasaki certificate of origin, which has the original owners name on it. [remember this was over 6 yrs ago.] And I have the proof the lien was paid that the finance company gave the guy. The origianl owners name is on the certificate of origin so the tax office, [get this] TRIED TO TELL ME THAT THE ORIGINAL OWNER HAD TO GET A TITLE IN IS NAME TO TRANSFER TO ME!!!!!! I bought it over 6 yrs ago........ Well we argued that one for a while. Tax office wants a bill of sale. Said I have to get one. I told them I moved several years ago from where I lived when I bought it and have no idea if the guy still lives there or not. They told me I have to mail him a letter asking for another bill of sale. If the letter is returned, then I have to bring that in to the tag office showing that I attempted to get a B.O.S.   

So needless to say, I left pissed and without title changes. Any suggestions out there.

Now I have to tell the kids we are not going to Croom. I thought about taking my family to Ocala, but I have never been there and would not know were to safely take my family to ride.

Teej

Kawasaki 400 4x4 Prarie, Mine
Polaris 330 Trailboss, Wife's
Honda 250 Recon, Daughters
Kazuma 110 Falcon Mkll, Sons
kawGIRL
is a Florida Mud Rider
Supreme Member

GOT GROG?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 04:20:40 PM »

Dude that $UCKS  Sad

I can't believe they are putting you through all this  Shocked  I thought there was a disclaimer for bikes purchused prior to 2003?  all they had to do is run the numbers to make sure it's not stolen.  Huh

gery350
Supreme Member

no guts, no glory

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 04:21:57 PM »

do it miami style.

make up a bill of sale sign it, and get your neigbor/aunt/whoever to notarize it. believe me if everything is legit like you say it is. no problem.
all they are looking for is bill of sales. make a bill of sale for the bikes and done. you prob. dont even need to notarize them.
 you'll be ridin this weekend.

hey this is klutchbuster350, me and rl400*mostly rl400* made my dad this sig. now lets see how long it takes him to notice lol
hey while im here...........klutchbuster rules!!!!!!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif
TOY_DOCTOR
Supreme Member

RHINO 660, YFZ450, TRX450R

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 04:44:01 PM »

I think they don't know what they are talking about... I have a document I received from my tax collector that they had in their file book..

"NEW OR USED OHV PURCHASHED PRIOR TO 07/01/02"
1)ONE of the following must be sumitted as proof of ownership
  *A manufacturers COA
  *A bill of sale
  * An affidavit of ownership
2) A form HSMV 82040 Application for certificate of title completed by the applicant
3) A lein satisfaction if applicable
4) Proof of payment of sales tax is not required for an off-highway vehicle purchased prior to July 1, 2002
5) Title fees in the amount on $33.25 pyable to the DMV

"USED OHV PURCHASED IN FL 07/01/02 OR AFTER"
1) ONE of the following must be summitted as proof of ownership
    *Florida certificate of title
    *A bill of sale
2) A form HSMV 82040 , Application for certificate of title
3) A lien satisfaction, if applicable
4)  Payemtnof sales tax
5) Title fees in the amount of $33.25

"NEW OHV PURCHASED IN FL OR OUT OF STATE ON OR AFTER 07/01/02"
1) A Manufacturers COA
2) A form HSMV 82040
3) Payment of sales tax
4) Title fees

These are from sheets I received my the DMV here in Dade City.. Hope it helps..

ATV #2 if bought from out of state only requires a COA, If bought in FL he should have issued you a title.

ATV #3 same thing, only need a COA

ATV  #4 same thing, only need a COA.

TOY DOCTOR - MOBILE RV REPAIR, ONAN GENERATORS, ATVs, & MOTORCYCLEs ............I BUY UNWANTED ATV's
Mudneck
" It's a State of Mind "
Supreme Member

****FMR****

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 04:44:53 PM »

do it miami style.

make up a bill of sale sign it, and get your neigbor/aunt/whoever to notarize it. believe me if everything is legit like you say it is. no problem.
all they are looking for is bill of sales. make a bill of sale for the bikes and done. you prob. dont even need to notarize them.
 you'll be ridin this weekend.
Funny I just did that Miami style in LOX this past week. I bought a 20' equipment trailer from a guy from Kentucky,they dont even need a tag on there trailers let alone reg.I went in there with he MSO & they said no.Ok I will be right back told em guy works around corner,went got a DK doughnut filled out the bill sale left hand(IM righty) on old piece paper signed name & done!!!!!BS try track this dude down Kentucky!.

I have the same prblem w/quad were thinking croom thing just our 2 new 700 4x4 prairies titled dealer did it.My daughters other two a Kazuma 150 & pep boys special 90 have nothing.I will have to do the same for them It is so rediculous wonder why people get fed up & ride on d**n dirt rds.

GET USED TO IT....If & when they ever open land for riding this will become the norm.I have even heard talk about the Ocala & others implementing the reg because it shows fees paid.

On my new bikes I even got a sticker.Just like our boat & waverunners.They didnt even know where I was supposed to stick them!Go figure.....

ratrider44

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 04:58:25 PM »

Take your family to Ocala, either Rodmans or Big Scrub.  On a Monday, you will have the place to yourself, plus a lot better than Croom anyways.  If you need directions, let me know, I am from Gainesville and can tell you the easist way to both. 

2003 Suzuki Z400
Moose
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 05:13:43 PM »

I heard of these war stories a while back when the whole mess started. I just signed a affidavit saying I was the owner before the titling started, 2003, and 10 minutes later I was out of there. Go to a different office, that's what I did when the first one gave me a hard time.

LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen
qt314nfla

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 05:45:38 PM »

I had a similar situation a couple of years ago myself.    Bought a quad from someone up in Jacksonville that I found in the Cycle Trader.  I'm sure I got a bill of sale at some point but had moved 3 times since then and couldn't find it.  I had the original certificate of origin on my quad and they told me the same jargon about a bill of sale.

So I looked this chick up on the internet.  Couldn't find her but found someone else w/ the same last name and sent a request to them for another bill of sale.  I received the signed form suggesting that she received it and got no phone call or letter for 2-3 months.  So I ended up having to write a bill of sale myself and forge it also.

Another quick question....we have to pay on road taxes for the gas we use in our quads.  So then why can't we use them on the roads?
Paul_S
Supreme Member

FloridaMotoplex.com

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 09:08:11 PM »

I had a similar situation a couple of years ago myself.    Bought a quad from someone up in Jacksonville that I found in the Cycle Trader.  I'm sure I got a bill of sale at some point but had moved 3 times since then and couldn't find it.  I had the original certificate of origin on my quad and they told me the same jargon about a bill of sale.

So I looked this chick up on the internet.  Couldn't find her but found someone else w/ the same last name and sent a request to them for another bill of sale.  I received the signed form suggesting that she received it and got no phone call or letter for 2-3 months.  So I ended up having to write a bill of sale myself and forge it also.

Another quick question....we have to pay on road taxes for the gas we use in our quads.  So then why can't we use them on the roads?

That is a good point, I would love to ride my Rincon into town.  Maybe one day.
Teej

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 09:20:07 PM »

Toy_Doctor, very interesting this form that you have. If you can put your hands on it, could you possibly get me the document number. It is on there somewhere, probably a top or bottom corner. Also, any dates of this form.

Thank you very much,
Teej

mrbones
Administrator
Supreme Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 09:21:09 PM »

That's a bad story. Sorry to hear it. The Croom office isn't very organized. One person will say you have to have a title, another says you don't. One will yell at you for putting the dang sticker on the frame and another won't care where it is.

Call the office at a different time of day and talk to another person and I bet you get a different answer. I've heard of plenty of people who have shown up at the office with no title and get in simply with a VIN written on a piece of paper like they used to do before all the title red tape. Besides, if you have a loan on a brand new bike, you don't have a title until its paid off. Simple as that. So Croom isn't allowing such bikes in the park? I think not. Whoever told you need a title at Croom just needs to be a little more informed. Plus, they aren't going to turn away someone registering 4 quads at once. That's good money.

Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon
mikeE36
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 11:48:58 PM »

why are u coming from north florida to go to croom? Huge waste of time considering u have durhamtown,ocala, and tates hill close by.
Teej

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2006, 05:36:56 AM »

why are u coming from north florida to go to croom? Huge waste of time considering u have durhamtown,ocala, and tates hill close by.

Well Durhamtown [i assume you are talking about durnamtown in GA] is a long drive, almost 5 hrs one way. Too far for a one day trip and at $25 per rider for only one day of riding, Croom's fee for a full year is a bargin.

Tater Hell is the same distance from me a Croom, but I thought you needed to be registered there to ride as I thought it is run by the state now also. Plus, we have never been there before and I am not sure where to go for just a one day drive there.

I understand you are a teen and do not seem to like Croom, but I have to think as a husband and father, 3 others that I have to look out for.  Going out and riding by myself is one thing, but with  my entire family, it takes on another meaning.  When you get older and if you are blessed with children, you may understand this better. Plus, with all the travel riding you are doing now being single, you will know all the safe and fun spots to go to then.

Ocala looks great, but I have never been there before. I have talked to riders that have had hunters shoot at them there. Riders that have had things stolen there. As well as riders having to deal with people out there drinking & partying. Not a very safe environment for small children. I am sure there are safe areas and that people go there and have a great time and I am sure that one day we will go there riding with a group of riders that also have kids and know where to go there.

Have you been to Durhamtown or Hells Tate before? [you said Tates Hill which I have never heard of, did you mean Tates Hell?]

Teej

TOY_DOCTOR
Supreme Member

RHINO 660, YFZ450, TRX450R

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2006, 07:39:42 AM »

Heres a link to the information I posted earlier......

http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/html/atv_instruct.htm

TOY DOCTOR - MOBILE RV REPAIR, ONAN GENERATORS, ATVs, & MOTORCYCLEs ............I BUY UNWANTED ATV's
Teej

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2006, 09:10:14 AM »

THANK YOU TOY_DOCTOR!!!! Now I have the ammo I need to straighten them out over the used ATV I purchased over 6 yrs ago and still own.

With the info provided, I am starting a new thread entitled

"ATV Titling Instructions"

I'll let all my supporters know how I made out today. Smiley

Teej

aftrmath99

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2006, 09:17:27 AM »

i agree  if you know ur quad isnt stolen  sign a bill of sale urself  its just red tape and policy to them  they just want to see it  so let them see what they want  its not like they can find out who signed it  its just one of those things where they are (just doin my job)  what a crock  ive had to do it when i bought cars before  i have a 1954 dodge panal truck  it never had a tittle i had it for 10 years while restoring it  then went to register it  couldnt find the bill of sale  i just wrote one myself  never had a problem  good luck  sometimes ya just got to stretch the truth  ur not affecting anyone by doin it in ur case 
Loven It
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2006, 09:59:29 AM »

We have 3 quads we have registered at Croom all at different times.
We have never been asked for anything more than a VIN number.

We did one in November of 05. It was a 99 no title/no bill of sale..nothing! (I do not have a bill of sale or anything for it)Wrote down the VIN number gave them the money. They gave us sticker.

Next visit we registered a 50cc Kazuma - This one we did in January same thing no title/no bill of sale (I do have them just not with us at the time). Wrote down the VIN we paid and got the sticker.

This past weekend - 01 Polaris Trailblazer (have title/bill of sale). No one asked to see them just needed the VIN number.

So we have registered 3 there all at seperate times and have not had a problem - I know its a gamble but I really think when you get there you will not have any issues. I think they tell you on the phone what they are supposed to be requiring to get your sticker. I called first too!

Good Luck !!

99 Honda 400ex
01 Polaris Trailblazer
06 Honda 90cc
05 Kazuma 50cc

https://www.nationalmssociety.org//FLC/personal/default.asp?pa=52649935&pd=FLC0EMS120060429WWT
tekhanto

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2006, 11:13:59 AM »

Doing the titling is it $37.00  and does this have to be paid yearly like boat Huh

You don't stop riding because you get OLD................... You get OLD because you STOP RIDING.

&
Moose
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2006, 11:59:24 AM »

No, it's a title, like on a car or truck.

One time deal, that is untill the quad changes hands, just like when you sell a car.

LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen
tekhanto

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2006, 12:48:05 PM »

Oh OK .... when the sticker was mentioned and placement I guess that threw me

You don't stop riding because you get OLD................... You get OLD because you STOP RIDING.

&
ATVXtreme

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2006, 01:17:57 PM »

This was in a previous discussion but I couldn't find it.. So you might want to check out this link.. http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/html/OHVGuide.pdf

If the they give you a problem guide them to the link..
Teej

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2006, 01:24:04 PM »

GREAT NEWS!!!! Smiley

Just got back from a different tag office. I printed the information that I posted that Toy_Doctor directed me to and I printed up a statement of ownership for the ATV I bought over 6 yrs. ago. I was done in less than 10 minutes.

I walked in and told her I wanted to title some ATV's. She said, "no problem". I told her as I pulled out the papers, that I had gone to the state site on-line and brought what I needed and gave her the certificate of origin along with my afidavit that I bought and owned the Quad. She typed it right up.

As for the other ATV with no bill of sale, but the finance papers and statement of the lien being paid off. No problem!! [Plus looking at the papers I also found that I purchased this one just before the law changed so I did not have to prove taxes paid on this one either.}

So I handed her the certificate of origin from Honda and my finance papers, I showed her what I had paid and where it listed the taxes paid and I gave her the paid lien statement. No problem!!!

She asked for my drivers liscence, typed everything up, I paid, got my receipts and stickers and left. Piece of cake.

Thanks to everyone for their support, I was really bummed yesterday I told my wife and kids we weren't going to Croom Mon. BUT WE ARE GOING NOW!

Anyone else planning to go to Croom this coming Monday the 20th? Monday the 20th is Presidents day. All government offices, banks and schools will be closed. Come on ----- someone get the wife and kids and meet us there. Grin

Teej

Loven It
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2006, 01:28:34 PM »

Hey Teej
How old are your kids? I know we are going to Croom this weekend definately!

99 Honda 400ex
01 Polaris Trailblazer
06 Honda 90cc
05 Kazuma 50cc

https://www.nationalmssociety.org//FLC/personal/default.asp?pa=52649935&pd=FLC0EMS120060429WWT
Moose
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2006, 01:31:29 PM »

That's good to hear,

I hate going to any buisness and people not knowing their ear from their toe, for lack of better words.

Teej

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2006, 02:00:50 PM »

Hey Teej
How old are your kids? I know we are going to Croom this weekend definately!

We won't be there until Mon. AM,
My son turned 10 {today in fact, Valentine baby, double digits now}
My daughter turned 13 a few weeks ago.
As for me and my wife.......we haven't figured out how old we are yet. Grin

I am assuming as one of yours is riding a 50cc, that he or she is younger than mine are, but we would love to make new friends.
Teej

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com