Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ATV Rights Group  (Read 2598 times)
AlterEgo

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2006, 08:44:54 AM »

I'm new to the sport. I debated whether to even purchase an ATV considering the lack of places to ride. And everyday I see a new post with complaints about lack of areas to ride. It's even laughable that you come to a site such as this and visit the "where to ride?" link only to discover a whopping 2 places! Hmmm, let me flip a coin to decide where I'll go.

Does anyone know if a formal club exists to fight for the rights of ATVers? An organization that collects yearly dues from members and uses the funds to help give us a voice in Tallahassee? Several of these organizations exist for airboaters (I just sold my airboat) to fight a lot of the same issues we face (except ATVers have it a lot worse when it comes to places to ride).

I'd like to join if such a group exists. I think this site should do more to promote such an organiztion if one exists. With the number of ATVers out there, this could/should be a very powerful oranization.

If there is no such organization, maybe it's time . . .

Bombardier Outlander Max XT 800
Polaris Predator 50
renmus
Supreme Member

I am a Florida Mudrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 09:36:42 AM »

http://www.sharetrails.org/

Blue Ribbon Coalition is the most organized, but it is country wide, multi recreational group.   There is also a section on this forum for ATV Activist.    I am going to get ready to duck now... most people are better at complaining than doing.  I have seen more posts trying to get the momentum started and then they die. (or get bumped by the same people) Lots of good ideas have been proposed and they get discussed to death.  Emails get sent off to Tallahassee, standard form reply comes back.  A good fight has never been waged.  Lots of little battles in every county, but riding spots disappearing left and right.  Yes, I know, we are all busy, jobs and family.  Spare time is hard to find and when we have it, we would like to ride.  I just hope there will be riding areas around in a few years time.
indianjoe
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 10:23:41 AM »

http://www.floridatrailriders.org/

Florida Trail Riders is a state wide organization that has been around for many years and is active in Tallahassee. The thrust of their efforts is geared towards the racing scene, Moto Cross, Hare scramble, Quad Scramble, Enduro,,I have suggested to to a few of the officers that they should consider branching into the recreational riders. There membership would increase dramatically and with
the increased revenue they could increase the efforts in Tallahassee for riding areas. This is something that is needed desperately is a statewide organization to represent the recreational riders. Florida Trail Riders already have everything in place they just need to branch out to include us.

I suggested they could then have quarterly recreational rides across the state. At these rides have informational meetings to discuss efforts on riding area, and also use this to have educational classes for riders. Local clubs could sponsor the rides just like they do the races. Fun ride weekends for members to leanr and have good family fun.

Funds from memberships and rides could be utilized to make the local clubs better and go towards expanding the lobbying efforts they already have in place.

I hope this can be accomplished because without voices in Tallahasse I don;t see things getting better. The vast majority of us have to work and support our families and have limited time to devote to this.  That is why a membership to an organization like Florida Trail Riders would benefit us if they had more efforts towards the recreational trail rider.
AlterEgo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 12:00:13 PM »

Both look like decent organizations (blue ribbon and Fl trail riders) - I'm going to check into them both more.

indianjoe - did you get a response from Florida Trail Riders about branching into more recreational riders? If no organization exists specifically for the florida atv rec rider, it would sure make a lot of sense to piggy back with another organization with the history and infrastructure already in place - as long as ATV member dues went to support our concerns and not weighted to racing interests.

And yes, we all have busy lives apart from our ATVing - me included. That is why an organization that you could pay dues to support would be ideal. And with the number of ATVers out there it could be a very strong/large organization. Sometimes number of members speaks louder than anything else to politicians.

Once an organization has been found/created, the next challenge will be to promote it to grow membership - including using sites like this.

indianjoe & renmus keep in touch if you want to help push this farther. I'm interested in doing what I can.

Polaris Predator 50
indianjoe
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 12:46:55 PM »

Did not receive a reply from original message but have re-sent to enire baord of Directors and excutive comm. for Florida Trail Riders
mikeE36
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 03:26:51 PM »

as much as i hate to say this i would vote no i getting a quad. Angry it frusterates the hell out of me that i have a bike but few places to ride. Where do you live?
americanhighlander
Supreme Member

I love boating and fourwheeling,salt water fishing

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 03:49:43 PM »

I know everybody is right about the riding places
getting shut down during 2005 last year alot places got loss
from bad atv riders that mess up the whole thing and taking us for our blame. Cry

But I know this one topic on here hads been
talking for while about planing getting  atv protest
in tallahadsee sometime this spring.I don't know
about that yet and One of rumors said that on there. Undecided

go to
topic called:I say it is time to Protest.
http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,524.0.html

http://widget.slide.com/rdr/1/1/3/W/10000000bb75877/1/320/C3zfUOyy7z9lkQxLVEpqAid4fox1Ohlr.jpg(I always say:Ride Harder Let Your freedom Go!!)
I'm a goat farmer live on 8acrefarmlivingwith my parents.http://www.youtube.com/foxman362
indianjoe
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 05:56:43 AM »

Reply from Jack Terrell-Florida Trail Riders-He copied it to the entire FTR Board.

Mike makes a lot of sense with his proposal.

FTR has begun to move in the direction he suggests with the Quad HS
series
which also includes a fun run time slot, but I am not sure if the clubs
have
given proper attention to the fun run (non-race) event.  FTR needs to
consider a Recreational Rider Division (can be ATV and motorcycles)
that
focuses on off-highway fun runs, poker runs and other non-race type
events.

Jack Terrell
Eworm
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 10:32:17 AM »

BUMP. I can organize 50 or more riders!!!!
AlterEgo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 10:07:51 AM »

sounds like progress. Let me know if you hear more or if there's anything I can do indianjoe.

I know there's good and bad to piggy back with an established organization, but anyone have any opinion on this. Would recreational ATV riders be better served with our own organization? A lot of work. Just not sure either way.

The other thing that could happen is if they open a section for rec riders, their membership could be flooded with riders like us and the focus of the orginzation may shift more.

Polaris Predator 50
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com