Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The way it used to be  (Read 10746 times)
Loven It
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 05, 2006, 08:32:50 AM »

**I saw this someplace else and thought some others would enjoy this!  Smiley

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the

50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat
rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't, had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as
kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

and while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

99 Honda 400ex
01 Polaris Trailblazer
06 Honda 90cc
05 Kazuma 50cc

https://www.nationalmssociety.org//FLC/personal/default.asp?pa=52649935&pd=FLC0EMS120060429WWT
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 08:38:26 AM »

the only exception was that in my neighborhood,,,there were all old folks and only one family of kids,,,but I grew up and still do call them cousins and grew up with a healthy respect for my elders.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
Pastense

Location: The dark side of the moon and when not there try Homestead

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 03:59:12 PM »

Hey Loven,

That post was great..................unless of course the person who reads it is an attorney.  Wink

PS. I had a lead based painted crib and it nev,ne,neva,ner,ne,ner,nve,ba,ba,ba,ba, nev, never affect me none.
 Grin

"Hard Core" is after a wicked wreck the first thing you ask is "How's my quad?"
klutchbuster400
Supreme Member

Cuz the chicks dig it.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 05:44:14 PM »

drank water from the hose all the time.
now my sons friends come over and ask for water and i point to the water hose. they look at me like i'm crazy. go figure.

oh crap. i posted uner my sons name..its gery350,i'm a freakin idiot.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 07:43:03 PM by klutchbuster400 » Logged
Southern4x4
Supreme Member

Turn off them blinkers to save blinker fluid.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 05:56:19 PM »

hey jesse i didnt know u had kids lol

[><]Southern by the grace of God[><]
americanhighlander
Supreme Member

I love boating and fourwheeling,salt water fishing

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 08:28:54 PM »

My mom and dad grew up in homestead and it used to be  potote fields
in the early 70's and they build houses and  fl keys used to be all good.

And they met on cbs on blind  date one day.And they told
me they used get a half gallon of root beer for 1.00$.

Hurricaine  andrew turn things inside and out when I left there.
I used live right near quick martet over in lesure city. long time ago.

Mom and dad told me homestead hads change alot since the early 70's they all good days.

untill  late 80's and 90's and homestead went down into the crap zone.
I know how that is.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 08:32:13 PM by americanhighlander » Logged

http://widget.slide.com/rdr/1/1/3/W/10000000bb75877/1/320/C3zfUOyy7z9lkQxLVEpqAid4fox1Ohlr.jpg(I always say:Ride Harder Let Your freedom Go!!)
I'm a goat farmer live on 8acrefarmlivingwith my parents.http://www.youtube.com/foxman362
o4250
Supreme Member

Call me George Foreman..

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 09:05:22 PM »

My mom and dad grew up in homestead and it used to be  potote fields
in the early 70's and they build houses and  fl keys used to be all good.

And they met on cbs on blind  date one day.And they told
me they used get a half gallon of root beer for 1.00$.

Hurricaine  andrew turn things inside and out when I left there.
I used live right near quick martet over in lesure city. long time ago.

Mom and dad told me homestead hads change alot since the early 70's they all good days.

untill  late 80's and 90's and homestead went down into the crap zone.
I know how that is.

HUh.

I pretty much grew up like that (thankfully), and I grew up in the 90's. Shocked
klutchbuster400
Supreme Member

Cuz the chicks dig it.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 09:08:28 PM »

now my sons friends come over and ask for water and i point to the water hose. they look at me like i'm crazy. go figure.

oh crap. i posted uner my sons name..its gery350,i'm a freakin idiot gosh!!!
their ya go, now it looks good lol
hey southern , it clearly said it was my dad who posted, i didnt know you were dumb southern. Cheesy Tongue
o4250
Supreme Member

Call me George Foreman..

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 09:10:53 PM »

hey southern , it clearly said it was my dad who posted, i didnt know you were dumb southern. Cheesy Tongue

"You were a dumb southerner"
klutchbuster400
Supreme Member

Cuz the chicks dig it.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 09:12:56 PM »

i wasnt calling him a dumb southerner, i was calling him dumb, and then said his screen name Wink
Bigscrb15
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 09:34:22 PM »

I didnt grow up quite like that, but I grew up at a Resort on the beach and didn't have much luxury other than sittin on the beach all day. I think it helped me turn out the way I did.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
o4250
Supreme Member

Call me George Foreman..

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 09:39:23 PM »

i wasnt calling him a dumb southerner, i was calling him dumb, and then said his screen name Wink

"Southern, it clearly said it was my dad who posted, i didn't know you were dumb"
klutchbuster400
Supreme Member

Cuz the chicks dig it.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 09:41:56 PM »

"Southern, it clearly said it was my dad who posted, i didn't know you were dumb"
same thing Wink if anything i was being more specific.
qt314nfla

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2006, 09:59:09 PM »

I have some things to add to that:

It took a neighborhood to raise a child.  If you misbehaved at a neighbors the would spank you then call your mom and send you home.  And you always got it worse from your parents when you got home.  And we came out fine.

On road trips there were no headsets, CD, or mp3 players.  We didn't have in ride movies or video's.  You did not get to chose the radio station in the car.  We came up with creative games to entertain ourselves because we didn't dare act up or our parents they'd pull the car over and we didn't want that.

I'm sure I'll come up w/ more but that's what I've got for now.

gery350
Supreme Member

no guts, no glory

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 10:11:03 PM »

lay off southerner. i modified it after he posted it.

i remember riding in the back seat(yes, children were not allowed in the front)
listening to music and trying to sing to a tune. well we would always get-
"if you want to sing i'll turn off the radio and we can all listen to you"

also a couple house rules:

1.your watching what i'm watching on tv
(now its easy cause theres multiple tvs, back then one tv per household so we were watching "que pasa usa" and a bunch of spanish "novelas"

2. you wake up the first time i call you.
    (the second time its the sandal across your face)

3. we're going to a relatives house dont even dare ask for a glass a water- shut up, sit down and dont move til we leave.

4. "its not fair" phrase didnt exist
     (if it did, you didnt)

5-10. sorry i cant post , they would fall under the "aggravated child abuse" category. but you old schoolers know what i'm talkin about.

hey this is klutchbuster350, me and rl400*mostly rl400* made my dad this sig. now lets see how long it takes him to notice lol
hey while im here...........klutchbuster rules!!!!!!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif
qt314nfla

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2006, 10:14:34 PM »

The cars were huge and on road trips we rode on the ledge above the back seat and looked out the back window.  When your parents hit the breaks you flew out of the window and asked them to do it again.
sct450

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2006, 10:16:07 PM »

anyone remember laying in the back dash of the car just looking at the sky? kids just don't know what they are missing by sitting inside watching tv or playing video games.seems like they have no imagination.

04 YFZ450
GO NOLES
GO PHINS
qt314nfla

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2006, 10:29:51 PM »

anyone remember laying in the back dash of the car just looking at the sky? kids just don't know what they are missing by sitting inside watching tv or playing video games.seems like they have no imagination.

Yeah that's what I meant by my above post but forgot to add star gazing at night to it.
klutchbuster400
Supreme Member

Cuz the chicks dig it.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 10:31:45 PM »

i do that!!!!!!!!!!!!! without the flying out and asking again......

Yeah that's what I meant by my above post but forgot to add star gazing at night to it.
i do that!!!!!!!!!!!!! without the flying out and asking again......
sct450

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2006, 10:38:20 PM »

i agree with QT flying out was the fun part.me and my brothers would fight over who got up there first.

04 YFZ450
GO NOLES
GO PHINS
qt314nfla

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2006, 10:45:55 PM »

Another one:

There was one phone line and no cell phones.  You shared that line with the whole family and had a 15 minute limit on phone calls.  There was no call waiting or answering machines.

We didn't have a whole room full of toys, and a garage with more toys.  We had a box full of toys and we shared them and we were happy about it!  When we played it was interaction with real people not video games.

There were no microwaves.  If you were hungry and wanted to eat you either went w/o or learned to cook it yourself.

Bigscrb15
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2006, 10:53:47 PM »

geesh, yall old people just don't know how good us youngins have it!!!

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
sct450

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2006, 10:59:29 PM »

we had no dishwashers or dryers had to actually do chores didn't have a machine to do it for us.

04 YFZ450
GO NOLES
GO PHINS
qt314nfla

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2006, 11:09:27 PM »

we had no dishwashers or dryers had to actually do chores didn't have a machine to do it for us.

You actually think most of these kids do these things even with machines?  Most of the kids I know their parents do all those things for them and they have no chores.
Want2Ride2

ASK ME ABOUT METAL ROOFING

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2006, 06:11:23 AM »

You actually think most of these kids do these things even with machines?  Most of the kids I know their parents do all those things for them and they have no chores.

Yep, I agree, Its a shame to say, but my kids 13 and 11, don't even know how to do dishes, its just faster sometimes to do it yourself. I did make a chores list out, but i always tell my kids they have it so much more easier than what we did when we were kids. I didn't have a dishwasher, they got one, easy to load it, lol,

2001 Polaris Sportsman 500HO 4x4
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com