Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GPS.......please ............I know exactly where I'm going, thank you!  (Read 1263 times)
Pastense

Location: The dark side of the moon and when not there try Homestead

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 17, 2005, 03:58:00 PM »

However, getting back can be a different story sometimes can't it?

GPS is for wussies you say.........well then kiddies let me a learn you a little story about me and my Pa.

My Pa is probably one of the great fishermen left in this here USA.  He's been fishing the waters of the Carribean and the Florida Bay since he was a little tyke.  He makes the run from Key Largo to Chokalooskee in a 24 foot  Angler that draws at least 12 inches.   Heck, some of the spots that he runs in are less than 2 feet easy! 
So one day, whilst waiving my little Garmin 12 GPS, I told my Pa that I was going to spank him on the way home from the Spiegal Grove to the North Canal entrance of Largo Sound.  He laughed and called me "sonny boy" , his usual moniker when he's about to embarass me with a lesson.  But that day was different.  So I, in my Everglades, and he in his Angler set out.  I followed my course true to the Trakback feature of my Garmin.  I watched as his faster boat began to break away.  Then I noticed something......he began to veer north...."why" I pondered to myself.  Slowly he began to fade in the distance finally to a size of a small dot on the horizon.  Not me.......today I was not following.  I was holding true my course, to my GPS, and I would be damned to do otherwise. If I ended up in Islamorada, I did not care.  The GPS was my reverend and my faith was full in.  It was darkening quickly and I began to doubt my faith until out of the murky void loomed that most common of oceanic markers, an unlit day marker.  I was home.  I was free of my burdomsome doubt.   But where or where was my Pa?  Had he beaten me home? Was he at the dock already? How could that be.  I had taken the shortest route, hadn't I? Again the doubt that only a son could have of his capabilities against his all knowing father.  But the doubt I had was only that...........

Pa got his very first GPS for Christmas two months later............He simply looked at me and smiled. 
He still calls me sonny boy.

Any old dog can learn new tricks......its just a matter of making them want too.

"Hard Core" is after a wicked wreck the first thing you ask is "How's my quad?"
Da_Mtg_Man
extraordinaire
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 04:10:03 PM »

great story.  Clapper

FLORIDA MUD RIDER
klutchbuster400
Supreme Member

Cuz the chicks dig it.