Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Predator 90 idles but bogs down when you push throttle  (Read 14095 times)
quadfun

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 14, 2015, 01:39:50 PM »

Hello All,
My grandsons Predator 90 was running great but all of a sudden won't go past much more than an idle. I changed the sparkplug, new fuel filter, cleaned the carburetor, put in fresh fuel, changed the reeds, but no change. I thought it could be the CDI and took it to a local dealer who is not a Polaris dealer and they are telling me that the compression is 80 pounds and that is why it bogs down. That just doesn't make sense to me. Anybody have any thoughts as to what is going on or what to try next? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 01:41:31 PM by quadfun » Logged
MedicMudder
Supreme Member

USMC...OOOO RHAA !!!!!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 01:02:34 PM »

Hey put this post on N E Fla atv on face book,if you are on FB it will get more responses than on her,higher traffic.

Never forget 343.
2004 500 SPM
 My son is a United States  Marine. SmileySmiley Semper Fidelis.
 Proud member of the Mudd Butt Mafia
    VAMPIRES SUCK BLOOD TO LIVE, POLITICIANS DO IT CUZ THE ENJOY IT!!!!!!
mrbones
Administrator
Supreme Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 01:38:50 AM »

Facebook sucks.

A compression rating in the 80s wont have any power. Poor piston and cylinder condition is the culprit. If that's the case, you'll need to rebuild the cylinder and piston. You said it has new reed valves and as long as they are installed correctly, it's the piston and cylinder with that low compression.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 01:40:41 AM by mrbones » Logged

Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon
desi778

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 08:43:49 PM »

i bought a non running predator 90 recently and when i finally did get it running it had the same problem... I pretty much did everything you did but use a compression tester... i ended up buying a new carburetor on ebay from a seller in miami for $25.00 shipped... installed in less than 10 minutes and back in business... I live 8 miles from the beach so i always pay extra for non ethanol gasoline in all my toys....

here's a link to one of his auctions...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLARIS-ATV-CARBURETOR-PREDATOR-90-CARB-/381224149971?hash=item58c2bae3d3&vxp=mtr

Hello All,
My grandsons Predator 90 was running great but all of a sudden won't go past much more than an idle. I changed the sparkplug, new fuel filter, cleaned the carburetor, put in fresh fuel, changed the reeds, but no change. I thought it could be the CDI and took it to a local dealer who is not a Polaris dealer and they are telling me that the compression is 80 pounds and that is why it bogs down. That just doesn't make sense to me. Anybody have any thoughts as to what is going on or what to try next? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
mrbones
Administrator
Supreme Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 08:52:34 PM »

lol, nice sales pitch. I bet you're the guy selling the carb on ebay. A new carb won't help an engine with 80 psi.

desi778

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 10:31:58 PM »

i know it's not nice to argue with an admin, and i also do know that it was my first post... however,
unless he actually saw 80 psi on a gauge with his own eyes, then it's quite possible that a fuel related issue
is his problem... the fact that most people cant get their atv's to idle properly when running right, makes me wonder
how a quad can idle fine with an 80 psi reading.... if he hits the throttle at idle and nothing happens then "usually" it's either starving for fuel
or for air... ethanol gasoline is no joke, if you don't ride it often it will tear up a carburetor in no time...
i did all the same things as "quadfun" and had the same problem... $25.00 for a new carb, a screw driver, a nut driver, and 10 minutes of your time, sounded like a reasonable response to me....
or he could spend $20.00 on a compression tester at Autozone and test for himself...
i dont sell carburetors, i fix and install air conditioners......

lol, nice sales pitch. I bet you're the guy selling the carb on ebay. A new carb won't help an engine with 80 psi.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 10:48:41 PM by desi778 » Logged
mrbones
Administrator
Supreme Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 11:00:32 PM »

Hey, no problem. Glad it worked out for you. I need a carb for my '73 Honda 90 so I'll look that one over.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com