Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FORD MECHANICS HELP!!!  (Read 5410 times)
Jeff L

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 12, 2010, 10:16:08 PM »

The coil pack and plug blew out of the head on my '97 Expedition 5.4, 4x4.   Of course it was the next to last cylinder back so its under the firewall.   Everything I see is $500+ for the special tap tool sets, and what folks are posting with not always good results.   Of course my local dealer says we have to replace the head which requires taking the body off the frame to accomplish, and about 3 thousand minimum.    Is there an easy fix, or just time to part it out.  I've had the truck for 11 years and it has 250000 miles.
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 01:00:40 AM »

The coil pack and plug blew out of the head on my '97 Expedition 5.4, 4x4.   Of course it was the next to last cylinder back so its under the firewall.   Everything I see is $500+ for the special tap tool sets, and what folks are posting with not always good results.   Of course my local dealer says we have to replace the head which requires taking the body off the frame to accomplish, and about 3 thousand minimum.    Is there an easy fix, or just time to part it out.  I've had the truck for 11 years and it has 250000 miles.

you could pick up a used head on car-parts.com for cheap but youl still need to pay labor or do the job. im no ford guy but this seems to be a somewhat common problem, it seems plenty of people try the repair kit with success. its only around 250 bucks, thats worth a shot to save 3,000 bucks if you ask me. i really dont see any other options, epoxy a spark plug in and drive it strait to the dealership for trade in lol.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 01:02:35 AM by Chevy1500z71 » Logged
apkkfx400

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 07:10:15 AM »

is there enough room to heli-coil the hole?  If you think there is and are not familiar with repairing with heli-coil, do a google search for heli-coil repair-that would be as close to a permanent fix as you could get without replacing the head.  I've worked in srvc at a Ford dealer and a truck dealer at that for almost 5yrs and fortunately have not run into this problem on an expedition on-knock on wood.  Until I started searching the internet for an answer to your question I hadn't even seen a body off of an Expedition for engine repairs.....

http://www.denlorstools.com/autoblog/2009/01/expedition-cylinder-head-removal-body-off/

I would definitely say it might be time to part it out.  That is if the only option is to replace the head and removal of the body is absolutely necessary.  The repair might get to and over what the vehicle is actually worth, so it might be time to say goodbye to it.  If going forward with the repairs, a good reputable place and good prices to get the cyl head if that ends up being what it takes-we have used this company many times over and have had nothing but good results....

http://www.nationalcylinderhead.com/

-Although I do remember having a hard time getting our hands on a 5.4L cyl head the last time we needed one-might be long shot but worth the effort.

I will talk to some of the guys at work tomorrow and see if they have run into this or have any other ideas and will post up again tomorrow.

Mark

« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 07:20:19 AM by apkkfx400 » Logged
apkkfx400

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 07:19:00 AM »

you could pick up a used head on car-parts.com for cheap but youl still need to pay labor or do the job. im no ford guy but this seems to be a somewhat common problem, it seems plenty of people try the repair kit with success. its only around 250 bucks, thats worth a shot to save 3,000 bucks if you ask me. i really dont see any other options, epoxy a spark plug in and drive it strait to the dealership for trade in lol.

As far as a common problem, a spark plug that blows out of the head is usually a result from an improperly torqued spark plug.  I've seen it on 4.2L, 4.6L, 5.4L and can usually be traced back to the customer that had a coil over tune or tune-up performed in the not to distant past done elsewhere.  Engine vibration+compression+loose spark plug=bad day.
gmiller0737

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 08:18:15 AM »

You should be able to repair it with out head removal Time Serts are the preferred repair,Check some local garages they may have the kit on hand & be able to fix it,If you are not experienced at thread repair I would let a experienced pro fix it you only have 1 chance to fix it right,check the forums at www.f150online.com
Jeff L

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 09:22:30 AM »

Thanks Guys, appreciate the input.   About a year and a half ago a ticking noise started on that engine bank when cold, my mechanic said it was a small crack in the exhaust manifold, but in reading about the plug blow outs on these Triton engines it seems to be the precurser of the blow outs.
     Think I'm gonna buy an inexpensive truck, and take some time and pull the body off to repair it>
lugnuts
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 10:22:05 AM »

they make a repair kit for this problem in the single overhead cam 4.6 and 5.4 V8's it comes with a insert and new spark plug and a shorter boot for the coil its around 60.00 at the local car quest or napa I have done this repair to a customer car and it works and you dont have to pull the head.

2004 raptor 660r 
2006 lt80 daughter's
2006 kfx80 son's
2006 ltz 400
My son Tyler #191 on his 2006 drr 70
2010 sponsor's Modded Motorsports,East cost performance,sky power sports,lost creek cycles,vp gas,V&M racing,NBS performance,falicon,the nales family tom lisa and tc
www.moddedmotorsports.com
Jeff L

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 11:06:43 AM »

Thanks, just called Carquest, $65 in stock.  Gonna go take a look to see how it works and give it a shot.   Thanks!
Jeff L

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 02:04:09 PM »

Just finished installing the Carquest kit, took about 30 minutes.  Lugnuts you 'da bomb.

If I went to the dealer      $3000++++

Carquest head repair kit    $65

Friends on ATV Florida to steer you in the right direction   PRICELESS

* 0613101317 (Small).jpg (60.13 KB, 640x480 - viewed 271 times.)
lugnuts
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 03:19:07 PM »

Thumbs Up glad I could help look me up if you ever need anything!

2004 raptor 660r 
2006 lt80 daughter's
2006 kfx80 son's
2006 ltz 400
My son Tyler #191 on his 2006 drr 70
2010 sponsor's Modded Motorsports,East cost performance,sky power sports,lost creek cycles,vp gas,V&M racing,NBS performance,falicon,the nales family tom lisa and tc
www.moddedmotorsports.com
trx#9
Supreme Member

Manager at Seaman's Sausage House and Adult Movies

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 04:09:57 PM »

He's pretty good with a quad too.   Wink

"A SPECIAL THANKS TO MY SPONSORS"
Big Knob racing!, NewMembers Mom!
 Sacks Gloryhole at the Little Bar!
Qawd32 Colon massage inc.!
Fuzzy Pickle race team!
Jeff L

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 08:28:29 PM »

ARRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!   Went to Subway, and went to pul out and rop, rop rop rop, figured I blew the head tap out but NOOOOOOOOO!   the tap in the #2 cyl left side was fine, blew the plug and coil off #3 on the right side.   If it wasn't for crap luck, I wouldn't have any!
96cobra10101

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 08:44:32 PM »

If there is a bright side, you now know how to fix for less than 3K.

07 YFZ450 with all the goodies!
Jeff L

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 09:01:06 PM »

Yup, thanks for the smile.  Grin  $65 for the kit, $65 for the coil, $5 for the JB Weld, 8 or 10 cuss words from a guy who doesn't cuss, a day missed from work, and hopes it ends at 2, if this is a pre-curser it's time for a new truck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com