Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Laptop PC??  (Read 5051 times)
mudnuri
Supreme Member

06 YFZ

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 10, 2009, 06:14:45 PM »

Ok, I am a Mac user. Always have been. I used PC's from time to time and know they are pretty much used the same way.
After 10 years, my Mac started showing an error. I went and had it fixed and it works great again. G4 PowerMac 500
I created all my business things on it and all.
I need to get this program that is made for my business and it does not work with a Mac. Only PC.
I need to get a PC and I don't know which one to get or what to get on it. There is a few different versions of Windows and I heard some have problems.
I want to be able to bring a laptop with me to a customers home. I want to be able to take a credit card right there with wireless remote so I can get to my website and through Pay Pal I can accept credit cards.
So, I need a referral for a wireless laptop PC.
Any suggestions? Or warnings?

Brian Morris
06 YFZ
FTR#108 SENIOR
Don't litter
Respect life
mud-n-ur-i
Nukinfuts

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 12:38:49 PM »

HP for laptops. They all have problems, but of the brands HP has the least and the prices are great. Dell is the worst and most overpriced imo. Toshiba is entirely too expensive for the amount of problems they carry, and Toshiba hates to acknoledge their errors. Gateway, dont get me started. Personally i despise MAC but i always suggest HP and barring that, a MAC because they are solid compares to other PC brand options. Buy the accidental damage warranty. OS is all preference. Personally im a die hard Linux user, but on the rare occasion i need to do something in Windows for someone i use Vista Ultimate 64Bit.

What program are you needing that doesnt work with MAC? You could most likely use that same program under Linux (Ubuntu would be my suggestion) which will be very similar to what your used to (why not, MAC is based off Unix/Linux and sold for profit).

Thats just my opinion after 18 years of doing this. Others will differ, try things out and take your time to find what fits you.

2006 Suzuki LT-R450 Yellow - CB, Lid, Baffle, Moose filter, Moose Nerfs, Pro Taper atvmid bars, DG National bumper, MXR6's w/ Beadlocks, pbrake removed, clutch switch gone. Currently apart for hc piston, intake cam, p&p, and more!

http://www.ltr450hq.net

Steven Billington #29
mudnuri
Supreme Member

06 YFZ

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 03:03:07 PM »

Thanks.
I went to Staples and it looks like I need to save up around $1,000 for the computer and laser printer.
I got 10 great years from my Mac and it was only $120 to fix whatever was wrong with it, so it has been a great machine for me.

Brian Morris
06 YFZ
FTR#108 SENIOR
Don't litter
Respect life
mud-n-ur-i
Nukinfuts

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 03:42:44 PM »

I dont reccomend going to staples, bestbuy, etc. I always suggest buying directly from the company. HP has deals on their website and often it will come out cheaper or the same through the website. The other benifit is you know you are not getting a reman, return, etc. You also dont end up with double-warranties or junk you dont need. For printers (if you dont get a bundle) i suggest something like Walmart for local (great deals sometimes) or

www.tigerdirect.com
www.newegg.com

Take care with printers as alot of times at local stores like walmart they do not come with the USB cable. You want to check and make sure yours does. If not and you can wait a day or two, order it online or off ebay for a couple bucks.

2006 Suzuki LT-R450 Yellow - CB, Lid, Baffle, Moose filter, Moose Nerfs, Pro Taper atvmid bars, DG National bumper, MXR6's w/ Beadlocks, pbrake removed, clutch switch gone. Currently apart for hc piston, intake cam, p&p, and more!

http://www.ltr450hq.net

Steven Billington #29
mudnuri
Supreme Member

06 YFZ

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 04:00:56 PM »

Thanks! Might have saved me an entry fee!!

Brian Morris
06 YFZ
FTR#108 SENIOR
Don't litter
Respect life
mud-n-ur-i
gery350
Supreme Member

no guts, no glory

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 04:08:35 PM »

i use an ibm t30 2366 for work eveyday and i have no complaints. there great for running multiple programs. they have an ultrabay "hot swap" drive that you can use for a cd/dvd player, hard drive, additional battery, etc. you can get them on ebay for about $250-$300. they are very durable and are considered business/industrial type laptops.
HTH, gery

hey this is klutchbuster350, me and rl400*mostly rl400* made my dad this sig. now lets see how long it takes him to notice lol
hey while im here...........klutchbuster rules!!!!!!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif
Da_Mtg_Man
extraordinaire
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 11:18:00 PM »

I love my HP and was told by another computer guy the exact same thing that Nuck is saying. Mine will be 2 years old in 2 months and it is still blazing fast.

FLORIDA MUD RIDER
mudnuri
Supreme Member

06 YFZ

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 07:21:06 AM »

Since I have your ear on the computer thing...

I want to offer credit card service for my customers. I need to have a website. I went to networksolutions and the name is available.
I need a simple, one page site with a link to PayPal.
I can be at a potential sale and the customer prefers to use a CC to earn points or whatever.
I can log on to the net from my phone, go to my website, click the "buy now" link to PayPal, enter customer credit card info, and get paid right then and there or find card is declined.

SO, I need to make a website and don't really know how. Network Solutions is offering the domain name for $19 yr, but there is more to it I guess.
After I get that, what do I do??
I don't think I have any web building software-that I know of?
I don't need a big site, just one page with who I am what I do how to reach me and this link to PayPal. I guess if I am going to have the "buy now" link to PayPal, I should offer a few different packages from a drop down menu for anyone who visits my site.

What does it cost to have a website. Obviously it is more than just the domain name, right?
Sorry for the dumb questions.

Brian Morris
06 YFZ
FTR#108 SENIOR
Don't litter
Respect life
mud-n-ur-i
Bigscrb15
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 12:00:41 PM »

I have a 5 year old Dell that has never had any issues and runs great and very fast. I stopped using it because the power supply got fried and I broke the screen. I have always had Dells and the rest of my family have had Compaq and HP's. They have been through 2-3 each and I was still on my 1 Dell.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
asmart82

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 12:26:47 PM »

Whats your business sell, Mudnuri?
Da_Mtg_Man
extraordinaire
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 12:50:20 PM »

Since I have your ear on the computer thing...

I want to offer credit card service for my customers. I need to have a website. I went to networksolutions and the name is available.
I need a simple, one page site with a link to PayPal.
I can be at a potential sale and the customer prefers to use a CC to earn points or whatever.
I can log on to the net from my phone, go to my website, click the "buy now" link to PayPal, enter customer credit card info, and get paid right then and there or find card is declined.

SO, I need to make a website and don't really know how. Network Solutions is offering the domain name for $19 yr, but there is more to it I guess.
After I get that, what do I do??
I don't think I have any web building software-that I know of?
I don't need a big site, just one page with who I am what I do how to reach me and this link to PayPal. I guess if I am going to have the "buy now" link to PayPal, I should offer a few different packages from a drop down menu for anyone who visits my site.

What does it cost to have a website. Obviously it is more than just the domain name, right?
Sorry for the dumb questions.

Talk to MrBones. Thats his expertise.

FLORIDA MUD RIDER
mudnuri
Supreme Member

06 YFZ

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 03:22:09 PM »

Thank you VERY much for the replies. I am a Termite/Pest Control Operator.

gery350, I checked out the IBM t30 and it might be ok, but I think I should get something with 3 or 4gig

I went to Comcast and they said I have a small website included with my current internet service. All I have to do is figure out how to do it.

I still need a PC for office, though.

Brian Morris
06 YFZ
FTR#108 SENIOR
Don't litter
Respect life
mud-n-ur-i
mudnuri
Supreme Member

06 YFZ

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 06:58:54 PM »

I am pulling my hair out of my head with this whole web page thing.  Angry Angry

Brian Morris
06 YFZ
FTR#108 SENIOR
Don't litter
Respect life
mud-n-ur-i
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com