Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: is gorilla winch a good winch? is warn worth 2.5X the price?  (Read 2428 times)
jschors

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2007, 10:06:53 PM »

I want to get a lightweight winch for my sportquad. 450ER and I am looking at the warn 1.5 rt/xt and also the gorilla xt2000. The gorilla is $109 and the warn is $258. I plan on giving the winch frequent but light load use.

Any thoughts, or anybody ever have one of these two winches?

Bigscrb15
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 10:30:54 PM »

I have a $39 winch off of ebay. Still workin 2 years later.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 10:55:55 PM »

this is why I ride the 400EX everywhere,,,,,I can lift it out of a hole if I get stuck ;-)

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
dgt714

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 04:48:17 AM »

SmileyI have  a honda 500 an bigbear, both have gorilla winches .And they work great.
Bounty1

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 09:26:02 AM »

I have Warn winches on my ATVs. I bought a Warn winch in 1999 and it is still working great today. After the hurricanes, we had to cut hundreds of trees out of the way of paths in ONF and drag the trees off the path. The Warn has never slowed down. I bought a superwinch and that winch had less power and fell apart while we were doing the work. It burned up and when I was taking it apart all of the screws were busted. The windings were melted. It could not take it. I went back and bought another Warn winch, I am truly a believer in them. They are great in my opinion.

http://www.floridaatvinvasion.com
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 01:40:53 AM by Bounty » Logged
KB

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 11:05:11 AM »

Do what BigScrub did, or Harbor Freight, or Northern Tool has some cheap ones too, maybe not the best quality, but light weight,
I'm figuring since your putting it on a sport quad you might not need a real heavy duty one.
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 10:09:47 PM »

Well my dads warn came with his polaris and its sees use almost everytime we go out and its usually something heavy. A big downed tree or dragging a buried 900lb polaris out of the mud. Hes had his almost 2 years and yet to have a problem. The line is held up good and the winch still works and pulls like new. On the other hand i have a venom winch on my 250 suzuki and i love it. Its usually underwater or scraping up against a tree but so far so good and ive had it for about 6months now. It was like mabye 100$ shipped to my door with everything needed to mount. So warn is a brand that your not going to have problems with at all but they are expensive so if your looking to save money i would check out venomwinches.com . 

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
Bounty1

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 12:51:36 AM »

Well my dads warn came with his polaris and its sees use almost everytime we go out and its usually something heavy. A big downed tree or dragging a buried 900lb polaris out of the mud. Hes had his almost 2 years and yet to have a problem. The line is held up good and the winch still works and pulls like new. On the other hand i have a venom winch on my 250 suzuki and i love it. Its usually underwater or scraping up against a tree but so far so good and ive had it for about 6months now. It was like mabye 100$ shipped to my door with everything needed to mount. So warn is a brand that your not going to have problems with at all but they are expensive so if your looking to save money i would check out venomwinches.com . 

Hey Madmudder, Tell your Dad Medicmudder I am in Salt Springs to stay. Give me a PM.

http://www.floridaatvinvasion.com 

« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 01:44:34 AM by Bounty » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com