Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SPROCKETS AND CHAINS...  (Read 1412 times)
bigwake

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2007, 10:51:55 AM »

ok so my yz450f has an after market rear sprocket..the original chain is 114 links..this sprocket is 4 teeth less than original sprocket though..so my question is: because of the difference in teeth..is the chain length the same..114? any help? thanx-josh
kenz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 12:18:44 PM »

There is a chance you'll need to change the length of the chain.  Because the sprocket is is a smaller diameter it will take up less chain.  When you adjust the chain for proper slack you might get to the end or real close to the end of the adjustment travel.

Theres a good possiblity you'll need to get a chain breaker to remove some links.  If your stock chain doesn't have a removable master link, you'll need to get one of those too.  Or you can have a custom length chain for your combination.

If it ends up that you have to remove links from your chain, you might want to get an extra stock length chain so if the need arises to put the stock sprocket on you can do so.  It's easy to remove links from a chain but not so easy to put them back.

(Editted my original first sentence- it made no sense, now it should)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 12:29:52 PM by kenz » Logged

2008 YFZ450
FTR 30+ #34B
Sarasota Area Quad Riders
bigwake

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 12:51:33 PM »

ok thanx! great info..hope it works out in the end..but i dont have the stock sprocket..i just got the bike..but thanx again! -josh
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com