Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me, thinking about atv racing. Where to start??  (Read 6253 times)
Cory1020

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 09, 2007, 10:11:01 PM »

Well I want to start doing something and sports arn't really my thing. I was wondering how "hard" it is to get into racing. What all do you have to spend money on? What do entry fees etc... cost? Could someone educate me on the basics of the different types of racing and classes. I am totally new to this and any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance

99 F-150 4x4
8" lift on 35x13.5 cooper sst

02 Rubicon
06 Rancher 4x4
01 Rancher 4x4
98 Fourtrax 2x4
06 Raptor 700
05 Rincon
svtbolt04
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 10:21:16 PM »

I am thinking you would be wanting to race the utility. Check out www.floridatrailriders.org they have a quadscramble series with utility classes.

Races usually cost from $20-$50. You usually need to buy a membership to the orginization, a transponder to count your laps.

catch me on AIM sometime at svtbolt04

823 for life!

Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.
Cory1020

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 10:39:19 PM »

Thanks for the link svtbolt04. I haven't thought about ute or sport. I would think it is easier to find somewhere to race sports? Huh I can prob get a z400 or maybe a 450 cheap on here. I want to see if I could have a shot at doing this. Where is some of the sport places to race?

99 F-150 4x4

02 Rubicon
06 Rancher 4x4
01 Rancher 4x4
98 Fourtrax 2x4
06 Raptor 700
05 Rincon
Cory1020

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 10:45:07 PM »

whats the difference between enduro, mx etc??? Sorry if any of these questions are stupid, Im trying to figure it out.

99 F-150 4x4

02 Rubicon
06 Rancher 4x4
01 Rancher 4x4
98 Fourtrax 2x4
06 Raptor 700
05 Rincon
TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

**** Frank **** **FF&J Racing**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 11:09:45 PM »

Enduro is for 2 wheelers only.

MX is Motocross. You race on a closed course with berms, whoops, and jumps. The track is usually a mile or 2 long. There are usually 2 motos and then a main event. I think they last about 20 minutes each

XC is Cross Country. You raced on a close course through the woods. It will have a little of everything. Tight woods, wide open fields, sometimes there are water crossings. The track is usually 7 to 10 miles long and you race as many laps as you can in 1 1/2 to 2 hours, depending on the series.

I would first get a sport quad like you said. A Z400 would be a good cheaper choice or a 450 like you mentioned. Make sure you have all the stuff to keep you safe, helmet, chest protector and boots.

Next I would try to get into shape if your not already, build some endurance. Riding is the best training.

I wouldn't go crazy spending money decking out the quad until your sure you like it.

One more thing MX is more dangerous then XC.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 11:22:37 PM by TRX450R_Racer » Logged

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.
atvtrailer
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 12:36:28 AM »

whats the difference between enduro, mx etc??? Sorry if any of these questions are stupid, Im trying to figure it out.

They aren't stupid questions, and you shouldn't be discouraged about asking because everyone was new at some point.  At least your trying to figure it out first instead of wasting money or get into something u don't like and getting hurt.  I'm not sure about the motocross portion, but the cross country has racers of all levels and is constantly growing and getting new people to join so your definitely not alone.  In the cross country racing there is a class for utilities if u wanted to race them instead of a sport.  One of the most important things to remember about any type of racing racing is that safety is first so always remember your protective gear such as helmet, goggles, boots, chest protector ect...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 12:38:50 AM by atvtrailer » Logged

05 450r #13B
Cory1020

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 09:28:52 AM »

naw I wouldn't spend $10k on a quad to try it out. Zriders z400 would be perfect, elkas, motor mods $3500. SOme more questions
Classes? How do they class, quad size, age, experience?
Winnings? Are the winnings for 1, 2, 3rd place etc.. pretty well paying?
Where? Where are some websites and locations for racing?

Thanks everyone for their help. keep the info coming.  Grin

99 F-150 4x4

02 Rubicon
06 Rancher 4x4
01 Rancher 4x4
98 Fourtrax 2x4
06 Raptor 700
05 Rincon
kenz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 10:48:42 AM »

Winnings? Are the winnings for 1, 2, 3rd place etc.. pretty well paying?

ROTFLMFAO!! Rolling on the Floor Laughing Rolling on the Floor Laughing

Sorry dude, couldn't help myself.

For most amature racing the most you'll get is a trophy or wood.  Wooden plaque that is.  You won't make money racing, but you won't have a problem spending it.  Actually compared to other forms of racing, you can get away racing Quads pretty cheap.

There might be some sanctioning body out there that offers cash for amature racing.  If your looking for money prize you have to be good enough to go pro get sponsers and if your lucky get factory sponsorship. 

Florida Trail Riders (FTR) is one sanctioning body that promotes racing here in Florida.  http://www.floridatrailriders.org
If you go to that site you'll find alot of info.  The schedule for next season is posted, membership information, rule book explaining classes, a forum, picture albums and lots of other stuff.

The races sanctioned by FTR most popular with quads are the Quad Scrambles.  This is the type of racing TRX450R_Racer described in an earlier post.  I find this type of racing to be so much fun, I can't really put it to words.  The best part about the Quad Scrambles are the people that you meet.  If I do say so, Quad people are the best out there.

You can also compete in GNCC races as well.  This is where you'll see all the big boys and girls of the sport.  They have amature classes and if you have the money you can travel up and down the east coast and do the whole series and place nationally as an amature.  That would give you some bragging rights.

http://www.gnccracing.com/

If you go to the Racing Scene catagory on this very site you'll find some more links to the world of racing that takes place in Florida and elsewhere.

Keep asking questions there is a wealth of knowledge on this site.

2008 YFZ450
FTR 30+ #34B
Sarasota Area Quad Riders
#26YFZ
Supreme Member

Get up, there's no excuses...

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 01:07:07 PM »

If you decide you are leaning more towards MX, or just have some specific questions about it, feel free to send me a PM.
sykolincoln
Supreme Member

save money on tires! ride a trike!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 01:09:16 PM »

you can always get into flat track racing as well with the www.southernflattrackleague.com its alittle cheaper in M/O to get started racing in as you dont really need the works shocks and all just add some tires a sway bar and hit the track. Also for any type of racing you  need the right protective gear as well so dont forget about that!

3 wheelers are like parapalegic girls....you know you want to ride it!

www.3wheelerworldforums.com

www.sponsorhouse.com/Members/SOUTHGACUSTOMS
ucfneed2ride
Supreme Member

'07 Brute Force 750

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 02:01:01 PM »

Great post! I recently bought a sport quad and was thinking about racing in the FTR series. I had the same questions!
I am looking into getting new tires, what would everyone suggest for the FTR series?

kenz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 06:36:58 PM »

Great post! I recently bought a sport quad and was thinking about racing in the FTR series. I had the same questions!
I am looking into getting new tires, what would everyone suggest for the FTR series?

The racing scene is alot of fun.  This last season was my first time getting into racing.  It was an eye opener.  Quite a bit different from the casual trail ride.  I was hooked after the first race.  Great bunch of folks and the tracks are fun to ride.

For woods you want to stay with the 20" rear and 22" fronts to keep the ground clearance. 

I have ITP Holeshot GNCCs for rears and Maxxis Razr IIs up front.  That combination works for me.  Alot of people are running iRazr rears and and Razr IIs front.  But if you like different brands from those mentioned any good 6 ply tire will do.  It's a good idea to stay away from the mud specific tires unless you do alot of mud riding.

Hope to see at the races!!

2008 YFZ450
FTR 30+ #34B
Sarasota Area Quad Riders
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com