Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Out of state, need advice on Ocala National Forest  (Read 3632 times)
dadkids

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 05, 2006, 09:33:59 PM »

First of all hello to everyone, I and my 2 boys planning on leaving Virginia for some Faher and sons time to Florida.
We are leaving on 12-26 and returning 12-30. We are wanting to stay at Ocala National Forest and spend our time riding there.
We have a toyhauler we are taking with us, questiona are:
Which campground is closer to us Big Scrub or Delancey?
Can access one side of the park from the other on ATV's?
I understand that there is no hookups which is fine, but do they take reservations in advance, or is is on a first come basis?
Since we have 3 days to actualy ride is that enough time to explore ONF or should I plan on going to croom also?
WHere do I pick up maps or do I need to take a GPS?
Is the terrain mostly sandy or hard packed?
Lastly I ride a Kawasaki Kfx 700, my 14 year old rides a Honda TRX 250 and my year old a Honda Trx-90, will my 9 year old have enough power to ride out there?

Once again thanks to everyone in advance for answering my questions.

Hector.
1FasterBlaster

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 09:44:52 PM »

Welcome to the site!!I visit Roanake every year.Is there anywhere to ride up there?
  If your bringing the kids, there's a campsite close to Big Scrub on Hwy.42 - Ocal Forest Campground.They have all the ammenities real cheap.Ocala National Forest has better riding than Delancey ...at least I think so.Good for the small quad too.
  There is a lot of forest too, you'll want a GPS definitely!!Ride safe and have fun.You may want to check when hunting season is over.Croom isn't that great, a lot of whoops.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 09:46:46 PM by ScratchupBangupBoy » Logged
dadkids

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 09:57:38 PM »

thank you, we have plenty of riding here, Hatfield McCoy is only 4 hours away, problem is I cant see myself riding in 30 degree weather. My brother moved to Orlando so I am taking an extra bike so he can use and spend some time with us.
I thought Delaney campground was also in the National Forest.
Can you ride your ATV from the campground on Hwy. 42 in to the National Forest?
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 10:55:42 PM »

you can camp at big scrub in the parkin lot but no hook ups that i know of. hope you have lots of fun.
Mars
Supreme Member

When I feel athletic, I go to a sports bar.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 11:07:40 PM »

Hello.
Go here, http://www.onfa.org/ONFA1.htm (links to maps)

Dalancey is on the north end of ONF. Big Scrub is on the south end. Both have good riding. Dalancey has new "marked" trails. Most trails are wide and easy for the kids. We saw very few hunters near Dalancy last month. Dalancey only has one hand pump well for water and porta-toilets. Big Scrub has hose bibs every 200~400 feet and some basic bathrooms. Neither have dump stations. Big Scrub has some tighter trails.
 It's a big place, ONF a GPS would be good to have with you. Three days out there is enough for most.
 I would say 80% sand/clay mix. All you quads should be fine: the TRX90 may need to have at least 70% throttle for the soft stuff.

Enjoy your stay.

04 Z400
99 Foreman 450s, AKA The Pig.
dynodon
Supreme Member

Ocala racing team

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 11:22:31 PM »

I usually goto Delancy myself, Its alot more peaceful there. The riding to me seems more like "trail " riding. Big scrub has alot more to offer as far as riding area, but there are alot of whoops leaving the camping area.
 I would suggest that you stop at the Ranger station on your way in ( thats on the hwy into thr forest). They can assist you as far as where you can or cannot ride. make sure to bring a GPS, you`ll need it !!
 DO NOT ride on any of the numbered roads!!!!, bring helmets, and be sure to LOCK your rides up at night!!!

Enjoy the trip, be safe, Wink

The " Black Pearl "
No, you dont want NONE of it
dadkids

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 06:53:38 PM »

I spoke to a ranger today, she made it sound like it would not be a good idea to go riding this month because aid I need to take myof all the hunters. Is there any truth in that? I would think not ,unless you PO a hunter, scare off his game and shoots you. LOL.
I spoke to a Ranger that runs the area where Delancy West campground is at.
Is there any truth in that? Also since Virginia does not require registering ATV's with DMV, she I need to take the Certificate of origin for the ATV's.
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 07:22:33 PM »

http://www.durhamtown.com/

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group
Dewey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 08:09:17 PM »

Delancy is really right in the middle of nowhere.Very nice area though. If you have means of trailering  your quads to a trailhead, I'd suggest staying in Salt Springs[ a couple campgrounds there] or at the Rodman Dam campground. You'd have to trailer about five plus miles from Salt Springs or about a mile1/2 from Rodman Dam[to trailheads]. Delancy is nice because you can ride from your campsite. Can't say about Big Scrub because I haven't made it there yet. I just heard that alot of folks ride out of there. As far as hunters....yeah they're out there too. I wouldn't put the brakes on your trip because of that. I'll be riding with my boys on the 26th. If you stay up near Delancy,PM me and maybe we can hook-up. Welcome and good luck!
snowmanzz13
Supreme Member

when are we going riding?

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 09:05:41 PM »

stay off roads, i stayed at big bass which is at the southern, southern end of the forest on 42 but it's down 42 from big scrub, big bass seemed so much more peaceful then staying at big scrub, I've done that, the riding is amazing, like nothing else, at least to me, i was there thanksgiving weekend and hunters didn't seem to be a problem, i only saw them while riding a few times, mostly just saw them on the roads driving way away from the riding areas, HAVE FUN!!

banshee Sad for sale
blaster 200 gone
ds 650   for sale
odyssey   for sale
polaris sportsman 700   for sale
helmets save lives, so wear one!!

http://www.myspace.com/954snowmann
Mars
Supreme Member

When I feel athletic, I go to a sports bar.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 08:46:07 PM »

stay off roads, i stayed at big bass which is at the southern, southern end of the forest on 42 but it's down 42 from big scrub, big bass seemed so much more peaceful then staying at big scrub, I've done that, the riding is amazing, like nothing else, at least to me, i was there thanksgiving weekend and hunters didn't seem to be a problem, i only saw them while riding a few times, mostly just saw them on the roads driving way away from the riding areas, HAVE FUN!!

You can not ride out of Big Bass campground. Most of the trails near there are closed.

04 Z400
99 Foreman 450s, AKA The Pig.
snowmanzz13
Supreme Member

when are we going riding?

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 07:22:44 AM »

yeah, sorry i didn't specify on that, we had to trailer the quads up to big scrub from big bass but big bass was a very nice shaded campground

banshee Sad for sale
blaster 200 gone
ds 650   for sale
odyssey   for sale
polaris sportsman 700   for sale
helmets save lives, so wear one!!

http://www.myspace.com/954snowmann
dadkids

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 08:21:52 PM »

looks like Delancey is looking better and better. Durhamtown looks good to any thoughts on that place?
BIGWORM3699 ( ECP RACING)
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 08:39:56 PM »

Delancey is by far the best to camp and ride at but nothing around ie. food,fuel etc. now durhamtown is the bomb if the choices are ocala or durhamtown go with durhamtown. All you need is there well groomed trails and sevral tracks.

East Coast Performance Mini Quad is your
Official Apex and DRR mini quad dealer, For your mini quad performance parts and tuning needs.
2013 polaris ranger camo
KINGQUAD, 29.5 outlaws,snorkled,rad. relocate, clutch mod.
APEX, stage6 RT 70, elka,mallosi overrange,PVL ign.
T2
Supreme Member

It's Better To Be The Predator Than the Prey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2006, 04:32:46 AM »

looks like Delancey is looking better and better. Durhamtown looks good to any thoughts on that place?

My choice of riding any the places you mentioned is DurhamTown, IMO that is the best place to ride,they have campsites with all the hookups, where Ocala you have to shut your generator off after 1000PM, and there is no carparason of the two places. DT has all one way marked trails, no whoops and lots of tracks with jumps if your into that. Oh course this is just my opinion. Good luck wherever you go at lest your riding and not at work. Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com