Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stay away from Baja series @ Pep Boys  (Read 9938 times)
Mudneck
" It's a State of Mind "
Supreme Member

****FMR****

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: February 21, 2006, 10:17:25 AM »

I have a 90 I got from Pep Boys for my youngest daughter,not sure if she would be a rider I bought a cheap bike.Ran great for 3-4 months than problems started.I ordered some parts from manufacturer since dealer list the company gave me was a JOKE!

http://www.bajamotorsports.net/contactUs.htm

4-5 repair shops wont take the bikes since the parts availability is 4 weeks plus out.Instead of spending wasted time at the shop.I ordered the entire wiring elements for this quad.It was only $90 much cheaper than a dealer visit.

However the few parts that were in stock I got within a week & of course did not fix the problem.The main parts are backordered Cdi,rectifier,coil,stop switch,harness and then they estimate 3-21-06 for arrival from CHINA!

greenmachine
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 06:18:20 PM »

Sorry about your luck. My next door neighbor bought a baja 90 for his son. We ride together, that boy rides that thing like it wasnt meant to, hits jump & even takes it in the mud out around river ranch area. It has performed without any problems. They actually just bought some douglas rims & snow hogs for it. The problem with anything from pep boys is that one of the "big 4" from Japan has already sent them cease & desist letters for selling all the "honda oem" imitation engines for power equipment & in the atvs & motorcycles. Buyer beware for this reason in the possibly near future, but if you do have one, the late 70's atc90 & 110 parts interchange in some instances. The biggesst problem is exactly what you mentioned, pep boys has no real dealer support. These quads are basically like cheap lawnmowers from wally world, DISPOSABLE. They are however a cheap alternative for a beginner.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 09:18:10 PM by greenmachine » Logged
FloridaATVs-com

Just a squirrel trying to get a nut.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 01:49:00 PM »

I have had SEVERAL of the Pep Boys four wheelers in the shop since Christmas. Alot of people that bought them in December are having problems and Pep Boys won't touch the bikes nor do anything for the customers. Getting parts from Baja is like pulling teeth. I don't see why people by quads from an auto parts store. Good luck with your 90!

Mudneck
" It's a State of Mind "
Supreme Member

****FMR****

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 04:18:13 PM »

You got something w/more parts & tech support? Whats it worth on trade.If I do get the parts I ordered & get it running I was going to sell it.But that wouldnt be right either to stick someone w/piece crap!I got it from someone who needed cash @ $700 & 2 months old. I know new they are $1000 +tax....So now with almost a grand into it?Sucks chock one up for experience!

familyatvers

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 08:38:23 PM »

Unfortunately most discount dealers and internet dropship dealers offer NO service at all. 
     Most of the repair and WARRANTY calls I get at the shop are from folks who bought one of these discount quads (hard to resist that price) and become upset at me, when I advise of the shop charges.  With the Redcats we service whereever they bought them, as Redcat goes out of their way to take care of us even when it's not a unit we sold.   
      MORAL OF THE STORY: If you buy @ a discount house call the service centers they tell you will honor the warranty before you leave the store.  WAIT!!!  Before you give them the money.  
    The reason other dealers won't or can't help is that unlike the big4, these manufacturers and/or importers do not re-imburse dealers for warranty work, Parts only without shipping, and then usually only for 90 days, and only on units they have sold.
      We even bought a 50cc dirt bike for my son at Pep Boys as we don't sell anything that small in a dirt bike,  been a great reliable bike with normal service and care.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 12:11:06 AM by FriarJeff » Logged
familyatvers

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 12:06:10 AM »

Electrical problems are the biggist issue with most Chinese imports.  Going through every connector, cleaning them re-tighten add di-electric grease.  If you want I can send you all the proper impedence readings for the CDI/Stator/Coil/Pick-up Coil and where to take the readings. You just need a decent VOM.  Some parts are interchangeable/ cross-referenced with both Honda and Chinese Honda clone engines. PM me if I can be of help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com