Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how to determine winch model.  (Read 7834 times)
themensh

« on: January 16, 2006, 04:48:57 PM »

Hey everyone,
  I recently purchased a mounting system that will allow me to mount my winch either on the front of my quad, or the back.
    While hooking up the wires today, I got to wondering how much power my winch had (#1500,  #2000, #2500, #3000...etc).  Since the winch came on the ATV when I bought it, I have no history of it.
   I have never used the winch,  so no idea how much 'power' it has......there is no info on the winch as far as what model/serial number  it is. All I know it on the winch is a sticker that says "WARN" (left side), right side sticker says "engage", "freewheel" and a  'warn 30192' reference. Does anyone know how to determine what Warn winch I have.......
secondly.................anyone have any experiance with VIPER winches? I see allot of them on ebay............cheaper than WARN.........same stats mostly except maybe a foot or two slower per minute.
    I ride a 600lb Grizzly. and wanted to make sure the winch was up to a task when I need it.

Chuck 'roast
2 rut

simple man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 06:33:45 PM »

chuck, I have a viper no problems so far,and i TRY to get stuck enouph to use it often

98 f150 3in w/305-70-17's    
05 big bear
02 lakota  
2 kids on my weekends 
and a mortgage
themensh

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 07:25:36 PM »

Thanks for the reply , 2rut. What size is your winch?.......I am thinking with a grizzly, I should have a 2500 LB winch as a minimum?

chuck 'roast
Moose
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 07:54:53 PM »

Everyone has their own ideas about this, as with cars, trucks, etc. I went with Warn because of the reputation they have deep in the woods, that's where I want mine to work the most. A little money won't mean much when you are stuck 5 to 10 miles from home, 12:30am, rain, cold, etc. Good luck with what you do use.

I don't know enough to know the model of the winch you have. Call Warn, they will talk to you.

LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen
themensh

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 09:14:08 PM »

right moose.......I understand quality and being stuck!
   I am thinking I should have at least a 2500 lb winch.
  I had an opportunity to use a winch this weekend.  I was the
'anchor' and used the other persons winch to get them unstuck.
    I don't see any identifiable  numbers or anything on my winch......
there is a 1-800 number on the label. I hate those things though................you get sucked into "select 1 or 2."  for spanish select
"uno or dos"..........for technical help, blah, blah, blah. Might be quicker just to buy a new winch. LOL

Chuck
MuddFreak77
Supreme Member

I found out who my friends are

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 11:01:33 AM »

On the winch under where it says warn it might have a number like 1.5, 2.5, or 3.0 if it's one of the newer ones.  If its an older one on the side of the drum by the freespool dial there might be a model number there like A2000.

Freakk

Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

'07 Suzuki King Quad
3k Warn Winch
GPS

2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel, 6 way hand
themensh

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 04:10:18 PM »

good info , muddFreak.........but I didn't see any of that on my winch.
    I guess I will just wait until I need my winch...............and if it doesn't have enough power, I will get a new one (It is just the "GETTING STUCK AND NOT ABLE TO GET OUT that scares me!  (I ride alone sometimes)

Chuck 'roast
MuddFreak77
Supreme Member

I found out who my friends are

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 04:40:03 PM »

Look on Warn's web site and see if you can match it to one of the pics.  I bet its at least a 2000lb loke an A2000 model.  What year is the Quad??

Freakk

Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

'07 Suzuki King Quad
3k Warn Winch
GPS

2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel, 6 way hand
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com