Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ocala National Forest Phase II Trail system  (Read 32929 times)
stacktester
Supreme Member

Proud of our servicemen and women

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2009, 04:12:20 PM »

Basically the 20mph speed limit get's rid of people who fly around the forest and could care less what they do. I personally like going 20 or below because I enjoy seeing the scenery of the forest. Unfortunately the trail system is 2 way but hey, there could be no trails at all.

I was glad to see the trail system put in because it was a free for all. I do hope more trails are put in so the current system doesn't get boring. 4 wheelers if ridden in a manner not to destroy everything aren't going to hurt those fire break trails.

If somebody is unhappy about not being able to fly on their sport quad or racing bike go to one of the tracks and haul ass all day. It's much more family friendly these days.

Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend
novadave

04 yfz450

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2009, 07:38:51 PM »

How exactly does a 4 wheeler that is ridin fast destroy the forest?

HELP I NEED SOME PLACE TO RIDE!
SpeedQuest

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2009, 10:25:54 PM »

How exactly does a 4 wheeler that is ridin fast destroy the forest?

You are kidding right?  The ruts, whoops, and burms that are on those trails didn't magically appear.  They were created by the traction (or in some cases lack thereof) that is produced from your tires.  The trails themselves are a perfect example.  The only thing attached to the ground after ATV's come through is tree roots, and even some of those get tore up over time. 

Another perfect example is any MX track...  Why do you think most tracks need to be groomed every other day?  Because hauling ass on ATV's and bikes relocates about 1"-3" of topsoil anytime your barely spinning the tires.

Eworm...  You are right.  Those rules were implemented to drive ATV traffic away from the forest.  But what you failed to mention was the TYPE of ATV traffic they drove away...  They put those new rules in and ever since then, I hardly ever come across syringes and beer cans on the trails and at the sinkholes.  They put those rules in and I haven't seen as many Ambulances at the trailhead.  Those new rules have also made it very hard to find injured kids on the trails.

I am extremely supportive of the 'less government, more results' movement as anyone, but I have to say that other than not being able to ride any place in the forest I want (which is not a god-given right), the trails are much safer, cleaner and certainly the people I meet on the trails have been great.
novadave

04 yfz450

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2009, 10:42:39 PM »

Do you really think for a minute that a quad doing 20 mph is not going to make whoops and burms ? Why is it that every atv rider that likes to ride slow hates the ones that like to ride fast? I don't have a problem if you want to ride slow . I'm not into motocross or i would go to a track and go in circles. I like to trail ride at a moderate pace and get the adrinaline flowing. And just so you know the slower you ride the more whoops you will create, because as your quad hits a bump and bounces up it has to come down and when it does it causes the tires to spin and that is what creates the whoop. There wouldn't be any fear of fast riding if the trails were one way, but i guess its gunna take someone getting hurt to fix this problem. Two riders hitting head on both doing 20 mph on a blind corner is gunna hurt. We don't need to argue about this we are on the same side . We are both atv riders.

stacktester
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2009, 07:58:16 AM »

I'm not saying I don't like to go fast because there's a couple wide open places on the hog valley trail and the west side of Delancy Trail that I can think of that are perfect spots to do so. Mainly what I'm talking about is the sport quads and mx bikes that are constantly throwing sand all over the place.

Big Scrub is a perfect example of why so many rules are in place. All you would see down there was people on the powerline spinning donuts and hauling ass. Unfortunately there are only a few idiots that put us here.

Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend
leeward bound

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2009, 08:50:34 AM »

I have to agree with Spped Quest and Nova Dave,

SpeedQuest

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2009, 10:23:44 AM »

Do you really think for a minute that a quad doing 20 mph is not going to make whoops and burms ?

An ATV or motorcycle at any speed is going to tear up the natural habitat.  You can argue 'till your blue in the face on this one, but going fast causes more ruts and whoops than going slow.  Why do you think that all the super fast trail areas on the Tobacco Patch and Yellow trail are whooped out periodically each year?  Because we HAUL ASS on it!  How come the Purple trail isn't nearly as badly whooped out?  Because it's tight and slow!  Anyhow, the point being, we as ATV riders are the ones who are making the whoops.  The bears don't come out at night and make them.  The deer don't have shovels or opposable thumbs to do it.  You can't possibly ride any trail anywhere and ask the question you asked:
"How exactly does a 4 wheeler that is ridin fast destroy the forest?"
  That's a silly question.  That's like asking how does drinking and driving really add to traffic fatalities? 

Why is it that every atv rider that likes to ride slow hates the ones that like to ride fast? I don't have a problem if you want to ride slow . I'm not into motocross or i would go to a track and go in circles.

I have a Raptor 700 and there aren't many days in Delancy where it's not topped out at one point or another.  The difference is when and where I ride it at those speeds.  On this topic I am sort of a Darwinian.  I like to think, let the idiots take each other out and we will all be better off.  The only problem with that is what about the day that I am taking it easy around a blind corner and some idiot takes me out?  Then my whole perspective would likely change.  I hope it never comes to that.

There wouldn't be any fear of fast riding if the trails were one way, but i guess its gunna take someone getting hurt to fix this problem. Two riders hitting head on both doing 20 mph on a blind corner is gunna hurt. We don't need to argue about this we are on the same side . We are both atv riders.

Statistically speaking, one-way trails are no safer than two-way trails.  Here is why:
People riding one-way trails tend to ride faster, counting on the fact that there is no traffic coming at them.  As a result, they end up hitting other obstacles (trees, stumps, roots, animals) with equal or greater speed than they would on a two-way trail system.  When they hit those obstacles they get hurt, period.  Additionally, one-way trails are often compromised by people who don't follow the rules anyhow, thus turning your one-way trail security blanket (and you on your ATV) on it's head.  And lastly, in emergencies, riders will almost ALWAYS take the shortest route back to the trail origin regardless of one-way or not, once again making the one-way trail more dangerous than a two-way trail.

The moral of the story:  Trail riding CAN AND WILL BE DANGEROUS.  The more speed you add, the more dangerous.  If you want to be able to ride anywhere, everywhere, and however you want start saving money to buy your own land.
Backwoods Racin
Supreme Member

Backwoods Racin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2009, 03:55:48 PM »

Hey speedquest, You argue that speed is the problem with the trails, but in the same post you say you top your raptor out in areas you feel are ok to do it. Does that mean you are an expert on matters of speed versus trail damage, or just that you are a hipocrit? Also you mention statistics on the 1 way trail is no safer than the 2 way trail, can you post where you got these statistics? Myself and many others would be very interested in reviewing them.

Backwoods Racin!
'05 YFZ 450
Travis #6
2007 Thunderbowl Intermediate Champion
2007 SFTL Intermediate Champion
Meghan #6
'04 YFZ 450
www.outlawracin.com
Sponsored by:
Ray's Septic Naples,FL
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2009, 04:49:53 PM »

Some see, ruts, whoops,berms, rutted hillsides, and mudholes as damage and some see it as a thing of beauty.  When I see a hill that has no tracks going up it, I think to myself "what a shame". 
 Realistically it is impossible for us as off road riders to do any permanent damage to the land. It always comes back, thats how mother nature works. She is WAY more powerfull than any man on any machine. Look at what tornado's, hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, etc. do to the land and people every year.
  Dumping trash and riding without respect to others is a whole different issue. I also understand that some forms of enjoying the outdoors conflicts with others and they must be enjoyed separately.

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12
Backwoods Racin
Supreme Member

Backwoods Racin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2009, 10:59:23 PM »

Dumping trash is the most disresepectiful thing any A-Hole could do!

Backwoods Racin!
'05 YFZ 450
Travis #6
2007 Thunderbowl Intermediate Champion
2007 SFTL Intermediate Champion
Meghan #6
'04 YFZ 450
www.outlawracin.com
Sponsored by:
Ray's Septic Naples,FL
auctioneer

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2009, 07:23:05 AM »

SPEED QUEST you must work for the Gov. It sucks in Ocala I grew up here the commy rangers are horses arsess and the rules change to suit them The thing with the Gov. here as other places is to buy public land with public money and deny public use

The po-po rangers make the rules to what they want that day and and set fines as high as they can get away with. same with air boats buggys and so on

2007 rhino 660
2009 Freedom Craft / L-88 427 W/stinger drive airboat
2008 11ft Puddle Buster w/200 angle valve
2004 Wrangler/8in lift
2008 750 Polaris sportsman
2002 F-350 lifted
2008 Rhino 660
SpeedQuest

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2009, 12:59:43 PM »

Hey speedquest, You argue that speed is the problem with the trails...  Does that mean you are an expert on matters of speed versus trail damage, or just that you are a hipocrit?

Thanks for inserting words in my mouth.  I haven't once said that I support a speed limit.  I have said that speed on the trails most certainly destroys the natural habitat.  I haven't in one one of my posts said that I think the forest should remain a pristine, untouched nature preserve.  So that means your Backwoods interpretation of my position is quite incorrect.  And it's spelled 'hypocrit' by the way! Kiss

Auctioneer,
Some of the National Forests have been around for 118 years.  Ocala National forest is 101 years old.  I think what some of us fail to realize is that the National Forests weren't created so that people with ATV's and Dirt Bikes had a place to ride.  The National Forests were in fact started to provide examples to future generations of what our wildlife and nature looks like when undisturbed.  The last thing on the minds of the people who created the forests was you and your ATV.  The fact that the government allows us to 'pay' to ride in them is sort of an oxymoron itself. 

I liken the whole ATV's in the forest topic to something like a loosely supervised teenager.  At first, you give them free reign to do pretty much what they want.  Then as they prove that they don't have enough common sense and judgement to make good decisions and not hurt themselves and others, you have to start taking away their privileges.  Hopefully, the teenager learns and begins to respect the people and things around him/her.  But many times they don't and you have to resort to some sort of major restrictions.

At one time, ATV's and Dirt Bikes were given a free reign in ONF.  A very small percentage of riders abused the privilege and began damaging more areas than were acceptable.  Another small percentage of riders injured other riders by driving too fast for conditions.  Another small percentage decided that littering was acceptable.  Another percentage decided that drug use was acceptable.  And the list just continued until the Forest Service decided enough is enough.  Now the rules and regulations that they have imposed represent what years of a handful of irresponsible and environmentally disrespectful riders have forced on all of us.

You can complain all you want, but until we police ourselves better we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Here is a small list of what we should be doing while we are in the Forest instead of arguing in cyberspace:

1.  Eliminate littering in the forest.  This means don't pass trash without removing it.  Almost every time I hit the trails I come back with at least 5-10 items of trash in a bag.
2.  If you must use drugs when you're on the trails, get off your ATV and do it on foot (well off the trail), and don't leave your syringes and paraphenelia behind!.  Same goes with the beer cans!
3.  Speed is FUN!  Use it responsibly.  We setup checkpoints on many of our rides.  One rider goes forward to a pre-determined point and warns oncoming riders that ATV's will be approaching at high-speed.

It's not going to get better in ONF if people continue to abuse it.  It's the Ocala National Forest, not the Ocala National ATV Park.
stacktester
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2009, 01:45:02 PM »

Very well said. Hopefully this thread is done unless somebody has something positive to say.

Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend
novadave

04 yfz450

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2009, 09:16:35 PM »

The trash problem in the forest was from the locals dumping it, so don't put that on use. And i'm pretty sure that there weren't any atv'ers setting up meth labs out there either.

Eworm
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2009, 11:42:20 AM »

There wouldn't be any fear of fast riding if the trails were one way, but i guess its gunna take someone getting hurt to fix this problem. Two riders hitting head on both doing 20 mph on a blind corner is gunna hurt. We don't need to argue about this we are on the same side . We are both atv riders.

Statistically speaking, one-way trails are no safer than two-way trails.  Here is why:
People riding one-way trails tend to ride faster, counting on the fact that there is no traffic coming at them.  As a result, they end up hitting other obstacles (trees, stumps, roots, animals) with equal or greater speed than they would on a two-way trail system.  When they hit those obstacles they get hurt, period.  Additionally, one-way trails are often compromised by people who don't follow the rules anyhow, thus turning your one-way trail security blanket (and you on your ATV) on it's head.  And lastly, in emergencies, riders will almost ALWAYS take the shortest route back to the trail origin regardless of one-way or not, once again making the one-way trail more dangerous than a two-way trail.

The moral of the story:  Trail riding CAN AND WILL BE DANGEROUS.  The more speed you add, the more dangerous.  If you want to be able to ride anywhere, everywhere, and however you want start saving money to buy your own land.
[/quote]

Your opinion seems to be the only thing you care about. Remember what they say about those. Perhaps, thinking outside the box can enlighten you as to the reality of this situation.
IMO it is safe to say that an accident involving speed with a single rider and tree is much better than a head on collision with two riders, no? Speed does not kill or hurt if under a controlled enviroment. As for the emergencies, this can be easily overcome by creating exit trails to trail heads. This is the set up in most two way systems and it is a fact that it works.
SpeedQuest

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2009, 03:31:06 PM »

The trash problem in the forest was from the locals dumping it, so don't put that on use. And i'm pretty sure that there weren't any atv'ers setting up meth labs out there either.

Funny, the locals must have a steady stream of Zephyrhills water bottles, Coke cans, and Budweiser cans.  But why would they haul them all the way into the middle of the Tobacco Patch trail and then dump them one by one on the trails scattered over 50 miles long?  When we rode just prior to Christmas, we took out about 40 bottles and cans that were on the trails.

By the way, people who do illegal drugs in the Ocala National Forest aren't necessarily manufacturing the drugs there.  And just for the record, people that are doing the drugs in the ONF really want you to pretend like it's not happening.  Ignoring the problem doesn't make it legal, nor does it make it non-existant.

Quote from:  Eworm
Speed does not kill or hurt if under a controlled enviroment.

I think that's what they establish speed limits for, and the speed limit is in place.  We don't get to pick and choose who use the trails, nor do we get to pick and choose what those individuals do when they are on the trails.  All the Forest Service can do is establish rules to:

a)  minimize ATV's impact on the environment
b)  minimize risk of injuries

Once those are done, then they must police them and enforce them with warnings, tickets and fines.  That seems to be the part that none of us want.  We don't mind rules that restrict other people's abilities in the forests, but we don't want to be restricted ourselves. 
auctioneer

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2009, 05:15:24 PM »

Speedy you are right and I have been around and grew up in ONF as I have been in it more than Half the years that its been a national forest ( I am Over 55) I remember when you could camp hunt and play UNHARASSED. I have never riding a atv there except working on forest fires They are also right about most of the trash being dumped by local redneck don't give a damn construction people Or people fed up with the local county GOV because they make it hard to do it legal. as they closed a lot of the dump areas. when I was a kid I had an old jeep a small kicker boat and we hunted and fished all over the ONF. We weren't hanging in gangs or messing up stuff If we drank a beer or a ;liquor drink we did it in our camp and didn't drive as my dad knew the game warden that was over the area and he would have caught us and took us home to get our butt beat. We didnt kill much over the limit and we ate what we caught and what we killed. It was a great place to grow up Now you cant rid threw there with out getting stopped or having a pile of paper work or a set of law books to know the regs IT SUCKS

2007 rhino 660
2009 Freedom Craft / L-88 427 W/stinger drive airboat
2008 11ft Puddle Buster w/200 angle valve
2004 Wrangler/8in lift
2008 750 Polaris sportsman
2002 F-350 lifted
2008 Rhino 660
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2009, 04:43:10 PM »

http://www.arra-access.com/arra/washingtonnewsletter_jun2009.html

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group
zman03
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2009, 10:34:50 AM »

I have not been back to ocala in several years cause of all the rules and regs now! I personally like riding fast with my friends in the trails. I can tell you we always talk before the ride and safety is the #1 priority (ours and other riders). We all agree and if we see or come up to other riders on the trail we slow down to idle (1st) gear or stop, never intimidating others or making them feel uncomfortable or in danger. I can tell you I have great respect for the people who like to ride slow and with their families cause I too ride with mine. I think that these trails should have been better planned and they should have seperate trails for the different types of users!!! This was in my opinion the cheapest and easiest way for the DOF to say well theres your trails for atv's, all the while knowing this was only going to satisfy one type of recreationalist. The fact that faster riders tear up the trails more, well dont we pay these people to groom the trails?Huh?  thats hardly a argument!!   The forrest gets more damage from the lumber companies  than what an ATV could do in a hundred years!!!  Croom is a great example, its been around for over thirty years and still doing fine!!!  I hope more guys who ride aggressively will consider the slower riders and remember in the end we are all enthusiast and need each others help. I know whether you are slow or fast the day I am needed on the trail you can count on me or my buddies to help and I hope we see each other at camp to swap stories one day.       

Youve gotta pin it to win it!
stacktester
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2009, 07:52:50 PM »

Well said Zman. I'm not saying I want to ride idle all the time but I do take my daughter some and it kills me when people fly past us with no regard to safety. I've ridden many times fast through the forest but on straightaways not 90 degree turns as some do. I'm looking forward to the trail system connecting up to the Centennial trail someday. That will make for a good day ride.

Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com