Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should Dade City Raceway Mandate a 450cc Limit For The Sponsor Cup Class
Yes - 21 (91.3%)
No - 2 (8.7%)
Not sure - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sponsor Cup Poll....  (Read 6185 times)
trx#9
Supreme Member

Manager at Seaman's Sausage House and Adult Movies

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 19, 2009, 09:59:06 PM »

Since there going by the AMA rules I think we should follow them. I also feel we should have decibel readings instead of turn downs. Just curious what everyone else is thinking fan or racer...  Grin

"A SPECIAL THANKS TO MY SPONSORS"
Big Knob racing!, NewMembers Mom!
 Sacks Gloryhole at the Little Bar!
Qawd32 Colon massage inc.!
Fuzzy Pickle race team!
RTR_380/450R
Supreme Member

The older I get..........

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 11:44:14 PM »

Dont really know what to think about this one.
You could always just give us your motor and let us sort it out for you!!  Wink

RTR PERFORMANCE ENGINES
Specializing in FAST RELIABLE Horspower!!
rtrperformanceengines.com
trx#9
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 11:55:08 PM »

Dont really know what to think about this one.
You could always just give us your motor and let us sort it out for you!!  Wink
My motor is quite fine, just would like to have everybody to be on equal 450's to keep the cost down and competition closer.  Wink

Fuzzy Pickle race team!
KFXracer13

Pro-Am's most eligible bachelor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 12:30:36 AM »

I Agree.

#713  ATP 450R
 "The Champ"
Slo Poke

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 07:57:15 AM »

Since there going by the AMA rules I think we should follow them. I also feel we should have decibel readings instead of turn downs. Just curious what everyone else is thinking fan or racer...  Grin

agreed...

TBR

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 06:05:18 PM »

Do you mean there is one or more using big bore kits instead of skill to help them win? That's unconscionable. I agree that they should be limited to 450 cc. If there is no limit than what normally happens in any motor sports is you lose riders or drivers as they can not afford to keep up the building and rebuilding of motors in order to compete. I have seen this in my days of tractor pulling and stock car racing. Usually you see people either trying the bigger bores or quitting because of the unfairness. Imagine a 400 trying to run with the 450's. The best rider in the world would only be able to keep it close.
Until the rules limit's cc's, you have 2 choices, be an also ran or build a bigger motor.
Turn downs or decibal readings? Either one is fine I guess.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 06:07:33 PM by TBR » Logged
A.T.P. RACING

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 01:24:25 PM »

I believe that in this day and age, all tracks should mandate a db testing procedure that follows the AMA testing guidelines.

ATP as many know have to meet the AMA testing requirements at each and every national. We have tried every combination of turn down and screen available and even manufactured 1 off parts.
We have found that there is "NO SCREEN or TURN DOWN" alone that will meet the testing requirements. AMA requires all PRO pipes to be 98db or less and all
PRO-AM pipes to be 99db or less. As well, you are only allowed a 2db variance after the moto.
Our Suzuki passed sound this pass weekend at the CERNICS national at 93db. To give many of you who do not know, the stock Suzuki pipe with the cork out goes through sound at 101db.

With todays fourstrokes, sound is a big problem with local government and surrounding neighbors to the tracks. There are many pipe available today that are capable of producing MORE power, with less sound!

Any person, track, or sanctioning body can purchase a db meter for around $85

As for the BIG BORE and or STROKER application, this could be argued for days. I do believe if you are going to race a "PRO or PRO-AM" style class for money, then all of the AMA rules should apply. However, this rule should be made prior to the racing season, not changed mid season.

Mike Walker
ATP Racing Engines

RTN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 04:57:20 PM »

Interesting thought and one that I've voiced my opinion on more than once.

I agree with a 450cc max rule...but...you state that if we go by AMA sanctioning we should follow their rules to the letter. With that said if the class is posted as an open class then that's what it is....no limits. Not to mention there are some quads that show up that probably have more $ invested in their engines to squeeze every ounce of HP out of it and still adhere to a legal "production" quad classification. Moreso due to the fact of where these riders are wanting to race and still be legal.

As for the db rule I'm happy with the turn downs. I really don't care to have to worry about meeting db ratings so my son can make a local race. Then again if it has a direct impact on saving the sport then I'm all for it. That is for all "bikes" that run that track....4 or 2 wheeled. I've never tried to determine if a quad is louder than a dirtbike but I have heard some dirtbikes that are loud as h@%*!!

Then you get into the matter of time contraints and the promoters willingness to insure everyone is legal. Surely you are not suggesting that the riders police themselves and "promise" to follow the rules. We all know where that will lead. How inclined are the other racers to protest another bike if suspected of cheating if fees are involved ?

Would it be great? Yes

Do I see it happening? No

Mike stated that if Pro or ProAm style classes are run for $ they should adhere to AMA rules. The problem I find with that is that these classes include riders that do not meet a ProAm qualification. Including my son. Believe me when I say we were very sceptical of him running a local ProAm class and would have nixed that idea instantly if we or other riders/parents would have thought he was a danger to those riders of true ProAm caliber.

Sorry for being so optimistic.   Roll Eyes

trx#9
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 07:06:57 PM »

I believe that in this day and age, all tracks should mandate a db testing procedure that follows the AMA testing guidelines.

ATP as many know have to meet the AMA testing requirements at each and every national. We have tried every combination of turn down and screen available and even manufactured 1 off parts.
We have found that there is "NO SCREEN or TURN DOWN" alone that will meet the testing requirements. AMA requires all PRO pipes to be 98db or less and all
PRO-AM pipes to be 99db or less. As well, you are only allowed a 2db variance after the moto.
Our Suzuki passed sound this pass weekend at the CERNICS national at 93db. To give many of you who do not know, the stock Suzuki pipe with the cork out goes through sound at 101db.

With todays fourstrokes, sound is a big problem with local government and surrounding neighbors to the tracks. There are many pipe available today that are capable of producing MORE power, with less sound!

Any person, track, or sanctioning body can purchase a db meter for around $85

As for the BIG BORE and or STROKER application, this could be argued for days. I do believe if you are going to race a "PRO or PRO-AM" style class for money, then all of the AMA rules should apply. However, this rule should be made prior to the racing season, not changed mid season.

Mike Walker
ATP Racing Engines
I know some of the sponsor cup quads are most likely approaching 120 db range, I'm old and deaf and there way loud. Oh my god!

Fuzzy Pickle race team!
310R_Dude

When in doubt, GAS IT!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 10:17:49 PM »

Man... there's TOO many limits in this world as it is Bang Head djees!

I say... NO to 'CC limits, NO to decibel limits and NO... to any other kind
of limits you want cause you're whining INSTEAD of winning  Cry

c'mon peeps... let's LIVE in an unlimited world and have some FUN! 

j/k, of course -  Clown
 - Dano

Never let fear, uncertainty OR doubt hold you back from doing what you KNOW you can do.
RTR_380/450R
Supreme Member

The older I get..........

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 01:47:15 PM »

After much contemplation about this issue....... CC regulations are a minimal issue as it pertains to this series in particular. Dade City, although it does a ton for our sport, is not the track that seperates H.P.
What we need at Dade City is..... the ability to pass, a longer start, better dirt, etc;
This is what would seperate things. There are guys that have raced in Sponsor Cup that if not for good starts would not be able to run at the top regardless of H.P.
But for the sake of good sport, good fun, and lack of controversy..... There should be a CC limit.
This would eliminate a lot of the talk and concern, therefore leaving room for just good ole' fashion racing.
As far as DB's. I don't care. This is sport!!!! Football games are louder than we are!! Noone says anything about that!
I know that when we designed and developed our RTR Exhaust, we developed it to be tuneable for lower DB's.
We would'nt have even cared to do so if it was not such an issue nowadays.
But if we have to do something, then the turndowns are fine with me.
Just tell me the rules so I know how to play the game!! Grin

RTR PERFORMANCE ENGINES
Specializing in FAST RELIABLE Horspower!!
rtrperformanceengines.com
Ellis#8

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 07:46:48 PM »

how many will be out there NEXT YEAR ?? not me ..don't got $$ to put motor to run with sponsor cup ..the class is fast as hell ..
miniquad8

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 08:57:57 PM »

look guys,what most of you are not aware of is....the reason the turn downs are mandatory for the quads and not the dirt bikes is because we have bike racers that are on the fair board.when the complaints started coming in the quads were to blame..granted the bikes make as much or more noise but they have been 30yrs with no complaints.the turn downs dont really make the db level any lower but it does keep it from carrying so far.this makes the powers that be happy so in return we still have a place to race.the turn down thing isnt a big deal really most pipe manufacturers will sell you and extra end cap and its cheap to have a turn down made,when i bought the hmf for my sons 250 they gave me an extra turn down.the small bikes under 400 cc's dont have to have one but cams quad is loud so i did it anyway,figure it cant hurt to help protect my place to ride...a cc limit would be great but i dont think randy will hire a full time tech guy to keep everyone honest and a gentlemans agreement i think would be out of the question..

cam covil#8
04 dade city unlimited mini quad 2nd place
05 dade city unlimited mini quad 1st place
05 gnc mx 70 production 3rd place
06 gnc mx 70 shifter national champion(round 3,5,6,7,8,9,11 winner)
06 dade city quad youth 1st place
06 gncc round 1,4 winner
TBR

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 05:30:47 PM »

I don't think the "turndowns" is the real issue here. I thought I heard Randy say that the bikes were Grandfathered in. If that is the case then that is fine. What I am worried (maybe worried is not the right verbage) about is the cc limit or lack thereof. I am only concerned about the possibility of it hurting the number of Sponsor Cup racers that will continue to race at Dade. On the other hand the skill of some of the young men that race Pro Am from FL is as good as it gets. I hope we can see the regulars along with Devin, Josh, Jeffery, Mark, Neil, TC, Evan and others all on the track at the same time.
I have no idea if someone is over 450 cc's or not. If they are and winning or losing, and it is not against the rules then they are not doing anything wrong at all.
I say put your gear and helmet on and race.
trx#9
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 05:47:32 PM »

I don't think the "turndowns" is the real issue here. I thought I heard Randy say that the bikes were Grandfathered in. If that is the case then that is fine.
ATV's have been racing there since the early 80's, we should be grandfathered in.  Dunno

Fuzzy Pickle race team!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com