Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about PC ram chips  (Read 2486 times)
Moose
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2005, 07:20:22 PM »

I installed a 1gb ram chip, but it shows up as 512 mb only.
I was thinking the ram is to fast for my PC. If so, would it work in a newer PC as a 1gb?

Any ideas?

LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen
Bigscrb15
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 07:23:33 PM »

Your motherboard most likely doesn't support that much ram. It will show up as 1GB on a supported motherboard. how old is the pc?

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 07:35:44 PM »

what he said.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
Moose
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 07:36:04 PM »

You're most likely right, the largest I could find in the slower chip was 512mb.
The pc is about 3-4 years old. came with only 256mb.

LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen
Moose
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 07:39:42 PM »

Does run MUCH better though.

svtbolt04
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 07:43:19 PM »

Sometimes you have to push to really get them to register. I put in dual 512's and at first only one was registering, gave it a nice push till it clicked and it showed up on the next boot.

823 for life!

Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.
Moose
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 07:47:59 PM »

Sometimes you have to push to really get them to register. I put in dual 512's and at first only one was registering, gave it a nice push till it clicked and it showed up on the next boot.

Yea thanks. When I installed it, I pushed it all the way down and removed it twice to be sure it went all the way, it is.

Moose
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 07:48:56 PM »

Hey, it will go in my next pc, no problem.

Bigscrb15
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 07:53:15 PM »

If your gonna buy a new PC get Dell, I have had 3 Dell desktops and now a laptop. They 1 reason I like them is their service, I very rarely have to call but when I do they send a tech out the next day to my office or house and fix the problem. If it is something you can fix(like replace mouse, keyboard, or monitor) they will overnight the part to you. This service is only good for the duration of your warranty, up to 4years depending on what you choose. I love Dells and recommend them to anyone! Also check out dealtaker.com and on the right click store coupons and keep an eye on the dell home and dell small business sections. I built my laptop on dells site and it was $1700 I then found a coupon for $750 off $1450 or over. so I paid like $970 shipped.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005, 08:24:46 PM »

seconded on the Dell's, I used to not like them when they started but they have really risen to the top as far as customer service goes.

solid hardware and excellent service makes for a #1 recommendation for me with HP being a close second(only due to service on the end-user side).

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
GSPKurt
Supreme Member

GSP Rescue Volunteer, Brittany Rescue Volunteer

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 03:09:59 PM »

I have 2 Dells. Just ONCE I'd like to talk to an American when I call Cust. Service.

Sorry for the thread 'jack. Just wanted to vent.

Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch
needforspeed

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2005, 06:24:36 PM »

1 gb is probably not supported on the motherboard. If you need help with your Dell, support is good for as long as you own the PC. There support will walk you through just about anything, even installing a hard drive. Hewlett Packard you have to pay for support after 1 year.
Bigscrb15
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2005, 07:41:02 PM »

I have 2 Dells. Just ONCE I'd like to talk to an American when I call Cust. Service.

Sorry for the thread 'jack. Just wanted to vent.

I used to have a direct number to a support center in Texas. All the ladies had that beautiful southern accent and the guys all sounded like rednecks, it was great. I lost the number when I formatted my harddrive. If I ever find it again ill let you know.

needforspeed

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2005, 06:45:19 AM »

Support for the Dell's are actually located in Japan, it would be tough to get an American on the other end, but occassionally you do. When you make a support call your are actually calling Japan.
Bigscrb15
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2005, 09:15:06 AM »

Support for the Dell's are actually located in Japan, it would be tough to get an American on the other end, but occassionally you do. When you make a support call your are actually calling Japan.

I highly doubt the support calls goto Japan. I can almost guarantee that at least 75% of dell tech support calls goto India. The rest goto Texas, Idaho, Tennessee.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 09:19:49 AM by Bigscrb15 » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com