Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Labor Day ONF Ride - Our experience with the "Improvements"  (Read 3728 times)
Yamahonda41

Born to ride!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 03, 2007, 11:22:22 PM »

This weekend was the first time in 18 months I have been able to make it to ONF.  I have ridden quite a lot there and one of the best things I like is the freedom of taking whatever trail looks good at the time.  It is unfortunate that we have lost this freedom, however, I understand that with the large number of people riding now that some regulation has to happen for the benefit of all.  Enough philosophy.

I have never bought a new quad so until this week had no titles in hand.  After reading all the new rules/regs I decided instead of trying our luck without the stickers I should do my best to comply.  I had 3 ATV's bought prior to July 2002 and 2 bought recently.  A trip to the local DMV and $541 later I had 5 nice shiny new green stickers in hand and titles on the way.  The ironic part was one bike, a 1989 Honda CR125 that I paid $100 for and rebuilt now has a title and sticker that cost me almost half the price I paid for the bike   Cheesy

Saturday morning -  3 trailers with 12 people/quads arrive at Rodman.  Wow, looks different from my last time there which I think might have been the ATVFlorida.com Rodman IV...

We were met by at least 3 if not 4 Rangers with sharp pencils and clipboards  Man was I glad I had a handful of green stickers Shocked!!! 

The rangers were very nice and also at least one of them rides a quad.  Did not get his name but he answered all my questions and as we were all applying our green stickers I think they realized we were not there to cause trouble and abide by the rules so within a few minutes we were on our way South toward Lake Delancy. 

It was sad to see all that sand in the pit going to waste.  We had 2 new riders who had never ridden a quad before.  Would have been nice to let them run around there to get used to the quads.  The first part of the trail was great.  It was freshly groomed.  Soon we hit some patches of whoops.  At 46 years old I can do without whoops.  That's why I like ONF.  I could always find trails that were smooth!

After way too many whoops we came to an intersection with a Purple marker.  We made a turn and had a nice little run on part of the Delancy Loop trail which was nice with very little whoops.  Came to a couple of forks and next thing I know we are back on the Longleaf heading South. 
After a while we arrive at Lake D for a bathroom/drink break.  The last mile or so was really nice with hardly any whoops and a fun little section of tight twists and turns before crossing the road into the park. 

We had the choice soon after leaving the campground to take the shortcut across to head back to Rodman but decided to continue South which we did.  Hard to remember everything but the whoops were bad sometimes and sometimes not.  I saw intersections with connecting trails over to Pipeline, Tobacco Patch, and Hog Valley but since we had not ridden in a while we were all ready to head back to Rodman, especially since our smallest guy could not seem to stay out of one of the deep mudholes and got a big gulp of muddy water in his intake. 

By now a storm is building and we hear thunder in the distance.  I ended up riding the little Raptor 80 instead of my VForce 700 the last 2 miles to Rodman.  Looked like an ant carrying a watermellon  Laugh but I finally made it.  Just after we get loaded up and driving across Rodman dam the storm hit.  Good timing.

Sunday Morning - Decided to ride the Pipeline trail today.  Took 88 North to 316 to try to find the new temporary parking area. Saw the new bathroom several hundred yards North of 316 and turned off the road toward it.  There was a huge red clay looking mudhole between 316 and the parking area.  One of us had a 28' trailer and a 2WD dually so we decided not to try it.  Continued along 316 a little further and parked along the side of NF97 about a half mile North of 316 to ride the Pipeline trail.  A few people were parked there already. 

Finally we get everyone fueled and lubed and headed out.  Got behind some slow riders and had to follow them about 10 minutes since the trail was single lane and nowhere to pass.  Came to an intersection and they went left so we went right.  This was the "mixed use" trail heading East.  Eventually came to the intersection of the Pipeline again and headed South.  By now it started to rain and before we get back to the trucks lighting was hitting pretty close so we are going fast as we could with rain-soaked goggles.  Made it back and had lunch in the trailers waiting for the rain to let up.

Our last ride we decided to take the Pipeline Northwest to the Tabacco Patch trail toward Eureka.  We made it to the blue markers and headed North but another mean looking storm was directly in our path.  Went maybe a mile before the rain started.  Went back Southeast toward the Pipeline and took the NE route around back toward the trucks.  (Yea I know it's the long way but what the heck we were already soaked). 

The first part was a lot of fun but then we hit a section of about 2 miles that had relentless whoops.  Pretty much the Northernmost section of the Pipeline trail.  Really needs grooming but the trail is really tight and a lot of tight turns I don't know if the machine will fit or not.

Pros - Groomed parts were nice.  GPS not necessary but still I was glad to have it since I have not yet learned the trails.  Nice bathrooms at Trailheads.  The numbered trails should provide separation from hunters and allow riding during the winter during hunting season without the conflict I hope.

Cons - Too many whoops for my liking.  Expensive to be legal.  It cost a lot to get all our bikes titled and stickered.  Now after Oct 1st it will be $75x12=$900/year for passes to ONF which don't work at Croom which is much closer for us in Tampa Bay.

Overall we had a great time.  If they get the whoops under control I think there is potential for a very nice trail system comparable to some of the ones I have ridden in Northern GA and North Carolina.  I will go back.

Hope this is useful info.  Not intended to be a complaint.  Just the fax  Wink 

2004 Kawasaki VForce 700
2004 Honda 300EX
2001 Honda 300EX FMF Pipe, Holeshots
2000 Yamaha Warrior Maxxis Razr's
1989 Honda CR125 - Pro Circuit pipe
psd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 08:54:51 PM »

Things are changing, glad to see your overall experience was good.It just means that you will have to ride there more often if you purchase a anual pass. I still love the forest with the current changes. Don't get me wrong I liked it better when you could hit whatever trail you wanted when you wanted.But I will purchase the pass and still ride there!

2006 Yamaha Grizzly 660
2002 black Ford Excursion PSD
2005 Yamaha Grizzly 80
2011 Yamaha Raptor 125
stacktester
Supreme Member

Proud of our servicemen and women

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 09:09:19 PM »

PSD!!!!!!!!!! What's goin on man? I haven't been on ATVFL in a while. I need to stop and see you soon. My neighbor wants to buy a new Yamaha YZ450 and come down to ONF. I was wondering if Big Scrub is still open. We'll probably stay at Big Scrub. Is the plan to have trails at Big Scrub all the way to Rodman still the plan? I hate the new fee. That's gonna suck.

Talk at ya later Chuck,

Donnie

Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend
psd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 11:02:20 AM »

Stacktester, what is going on?it's good to hear from you! We wil lhave to hit Ocala later this year when it cools off some.I went to  Coal creek ohv in tennessee this labor day weekend,that was ATV paradise Donnie you would love this place,people refer to it as windrock also. Come by and say hello!

2006 Yamaha Grizzly 660
2005 Yamaha Grizzly 80
2011 Yamaha Raptor 125
KB

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 01:09:38 PM »

Yamahonda,
 Thanks for posting that, glad you had a good time, I hope the whoops get leveled out some & not any worse.
 I use to ride Church Lk. Prairie in ONF (south of 40 & east of 314) but it's closed to foot traffic only except on numbered trails w/a     
 licensed vehicle.

I gotta get my quads stickered & check it out, I agree w/ not wanting to have a user conflict on the trail system, I'm wondering how that is gonna work out (during Gun Season).

stacktester
Supreme Member

Proud of our servicemen and women

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 01:16:57 PM »

I just picked up a Baccio 50cc scooter a couple weeks ago. I think I'll bring it when we go riding 4 wheelers and ride it at night and on all the numbered roads since you can't ride 4 wheelers on them. I say we all sell our atv's and buy enduro's and ride all thru the forest.

Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend
Yamahonda41

Born to ride!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 01:55:54 PM »

Hey KB,

I started a post regarding the topic of numbered trails vs. hunting but so far not a peep from anyone.  IMHO the numbered trails are much less than half the forest so there should be no problem with hunters along these trails.  I for one plan to ride this winter, especially if I pay $75 each for my family's annual pass.  I want to get my money's worth!

I'm hoping GrizzlyBear can shed some light on this subject for us.

2004 Kawasaki VForce 700
2004 Honda 300EX
2001 Honda 300EX FMF Pipe, Holeshots
2000 Yamaha Warrior Maxxis Razr's
1989 Honda CR125 - Pro Circuit pipe
psd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 02:26:18 PM »

Stacktester an enduro should be able to go anywhere,if tagged correct???

2006 Yamaha Grizzly 660
2005 Yamaha Grizzly 80
2011 Yamaha Raptor 125
KB

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 02:37:21 PM »

Stacktester an enduro should be able to go anywhere,if tagged correct???

Only on "numbered trails" throughout the entire forest I think, (like FR 501 & FR 501A), were probably gonna be seeing a lot more enduro's, or people making there bikes street legal.

Yamahonda, I noticed that post, Grizzly will prob. reply back when he sees it.
Or you can always call one of the Ranger Stations, I think theres one on the corner of 40 & 314.

If you call them they will send you some pamphlets & maps, rules & regulations.
GrizzlyBear
Supreme Member

ONFA President, Florida OHV Rec Committee Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 08:16:36 AM »

Street legal enduros can go anywhere a jeep can go "For Free".  If you want to ride the motorcycle or atv only trails, you must pay the fee.

2006 Rhino Special Edition
2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com