Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody here ever had a ruptured disc in their neck!?  (Read 7615 times)
RTR_380/450R
Supreme Member

The older I get..........

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: July 18, 2007, 05:42:49 PM »

If so, what had to be done about it. Really would lke to be able to continue racing, but some have told me that this could definately be a bad problem. Im 33 years old and understand that Im not 17 anymore. But, just not ready to give it up. I only started MX about 10 mths ago.
Its crazy, because Ive always felt indestructible. Then 1 little disc and I can barely get up in the morning!

jt

RTR PERFORMANCE ENGINES
Specializing in FAST RELIABLE Horspower!!
rtrperformanceengines.com
trx#9
Supreme Member

Manager at Seaman's Sausage House and Adult Movies

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 06:08:58 PM »

If so, what had to be done about it. Really would lke to be able to continue racing, but some have told me that this could definately be a bad problem. Im 33 years old and understand that Im not 17 anymore. But, just not ready to give it up. I only started MX about 10 mths ago.
Its crazy, because Ive always felt indestructible. Then 1 little disc and I can barely get up in the morning!

jt
Is it ruptured or bulging? I thought a ruptured disc requires surgery. What kind of medical treatment have you had. Find someone that can do a deep tissue massage, its helps. Maybe you'll even get a happy ending! Roll Eyes

"A SPECIAL THANKS TO MY SPONSORS"
Big Knob racing!, NewMembers Mom!
 Sacks Gloryhole at the Little Bar!
Qawd32 Colon massage inc.!
Fuzzy Pickle race team!
RTR_380/450R
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 06:15:22 PM »

They say that it may be ruptured.  Ill know more after a neurologists looks at the MRI. Constant pain though.
The only happy ending I care about is that it go away!!!

Now Eric, if you want to massage me and give me a happy ending, then we can talk! Kiss

RTR PERFORMANCE ENGINES
trx#9
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 06:27:11 PM »

They say that it may be ruptured.  Ill know more after a neurologists looks at the MRI. Constant pain though.

Now Eric, if you want to massage me and give me a happy ending, then we can talk! Kiss
You will have to talk to my pimp! Afro

Fuzzy Pickle race team!
qt314nfla

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 07:27:42 PM »

JT let me know what the final reads are on the MRI's.  Most important is the radiologist's read.  He is the expert at reading them.  Most of the time the dr's have vague knowledge and accuracy at reading them.  But rely heavily on the radiologists impression of the films.

TRX- you are correct.  If the disc is truely ruptured it means it has left the confines of the ligament and disc space and is leaking into the neural canal.  If this is the case then surgery or dealing w/ it are your only options.  If it is a bulging or herniated disc then chiropractic and traction coupled w/ physical therapy, once the pain stage is gone, are in order. 

Do not rely on medications and physical therapy alone.  The meds and injections only cover up the problem.  The PT will only strengthen the supporting bones and structures, which are currently out of place.  You do not want to stabilize an area that isn't working properly.  Fix it first w/ chiro, then stabilize it.   If it is too painful I recommend using the medications coupled w/ chiropractic to get through the pain phase.  It takes between 6 months to a year to FIX a disc problem chiropractically, depending on the severity.  But you will not be sent for surgery by a chiro unless absolutely necessary.

If surgery is your only option there are 3 things that will happen. 1. It will get better, 2. I will get worse. 3.  It will stay the same.  2/3 are not good odds.  If you can no longer live w/ the pain and it's hindering your life and you have tried everything you can other than surgery then it might be your only option.

If you need any help or have any questions feel free to call me.  You've got the number.
QT-  Doctor of Chiropractic aka Witch Doctor haha
qt314nfla

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 07:30:31 PM »

Oh yeah I'm also an expert in this area and would be willing to supervise you two to make sure it's done properly and for emotional support.
dynodon
Supreme Member

Ocala racing team

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 08:21:35 PM »

Oh yeah I'm also an expert in this area and would be willing to supervise you two to make sure it's done properly and for emotional support.
[/quote]
 I have trained her well !!! She is now taking over the "pimpin" business !!!!! LOL
 One would wonder about the "whitch doctor" part if they didnt know ya................ Ha, that doesnt matter, I am wondering LOL!!

Anyway, take QT`s advice, she knows what she is doing!!!!  Hope ya get well soon Wink

The " Black Pearl "
No, you dont want NONE of it
trx#9
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 09:05:37 PM »

QT, Just keep my shoulders from getting cramped, I have a belt sander and a cheese grater. Don't worry JT we'll take care of you!

Fuzzy Pickle race team!
RTR_380/450R
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 09:55:45 PM »

QT,

I appreciate the advise. We'll see tomorrow exactly whats going on.

TRX,

I appreciate you callin and agreeing to come over and rub me down with some biofreeze and massage out these knots in my back. I will see you when you get here! Roll Eyes

But, seriously, I appreciate you guy's advice. Ill know more tomorrow.

jt

RTR PERFORMANCE ENGINES
PAPA_TRIBAL

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 01:17:10 PM »

RTR, I was 37 when I had to have 2 levels in my neck fused together. C5,6 and 7. I have a Titanium plate and 6 screws in my neck. Mine was do to the fact that I basically broke my neck in 1995. I had a lot of pain and in the neck and down both arms. very weak couldn't lift heavy at all. but after the surgery and PT, I was as good as before if not better. Don't get me wrong, there is good days and bad days. But I don't let it beat me. I have never taken meds, I have seen to many people become dependent on them. It will control your life if you let it. I worked out at the gym with Mike Lupo (AKA Tribal Banshee) And was stronger than I ever was. I used to go to the secret riding place with the guys and climbed some of the craziest hills there. I'm no Jerry Corne, But neither is anyone else. I'm 49 now and still don't think twice about something if I want to do it I do it...  If it were the back thats a different story. Point I'm trying to make is you don't have to stop doing what you love doing. Anything will beat you if you let... I was doing the sand drag thing for awhile. And could ride with the best of them. Problem is old farts like me have slow reaction times Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Good luck Bro, Hope I didn't bore anyone. Just trying to shed a little lite on the matter from some one thats been there....
Smoknbanshee
Supreme Member

When the green light drops, all bull$hit stops!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 05:45:13 PM »

RTR, I was 37 when I had to have 2 levels in my neck fused together. C5,6 and 7. I have a Titanium plate and 6 screws in my neck. Mine was do to the fact that I basically broke my neck in 1995. I had a lot of pain and in the neck and down both arms. very weak couldn't lift heavy at all. but after the surgery and PT, I was as good as before if not better. Don't get me wrong, there is good days and bad days. But I don't let it beat me. I have never taken meds, I have seen to many people become dependent on them. It will control your life if you let it. I worked out at the gym with Mike Lupo (AKA Tribal Banshee) And was stronger than I ever was. I used to go to the secret riding place with the guys and climbed some of the craziest hills there. I'm no Jerry Corne, But neither is anyone else. I'm 49 now and still don't think twice about something if I want to do it I do it...  If it were the back thats a different story. Point I'm trying to make is you don't have to stop doing what you love doing. Anything will beat you if you let... I was doing the sand drag thing for awhile. And could ride with the best of them. Problem is old farts like me have slow reaction times Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Good luck Bro, Hope I didn't bore anyone. Just trying to shed a little lite on the matter from some one thats been there....

you might not be jerry corne, but you do make jerry who jerry is, because you boys used to push the envelope and make jerry do crazy insane stuff.  you can hold your own with any of them you old son of a gun.  you old too brotha, didn't know you had that much age on ya.

Team FBI (Florida Boy's Inc.)
A$$ Crack Racing
Choke on my Smoke!
East Coast Dirty Girls

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 12:35:40 PM »

RTR

i flipped off the dike at 5A on New years day this year, i fractured a vertebrae in my back, broke my nose, 30 stitches to the back of the head and the worst is that i have had 2 disks that where the bike landed on my head bulged into my spinal cord, causing a cyst.  SOOO short term version is that i am not supposed to do any thing that will cause blunt force trauma to my head or neck EVER!!!  I have neck pain every day (some days  alot better than others) to fix the situation i would have to have a two fusion operation that would put a plate and screws in my neck.  I drive to Gainesville to the sports medicine clinic and i see the doctors that work on the foot ball players for UF.  My DR. (who specializes in neck and spinal injuries) told me since i am 33yrs old if i have the surgery now i will have to have a 3 fusion operation down the road.....due to the fact that it will wear away at my other vertebra's.  I have been where some days to get out of bed i have to physically pick up my head with my hands, but with exercises and A LOT of Advil, some rest, it has gotten 150% better,  I still ride, not like i used to, but i still do.  I am mindful of how i pick things up, so that there is no strain on my neck muscles i try to go to a massage therapy person a couple times a month.  Have a list of questions for your doctor regarding therapy and other ways to maybe improve, if there are none than def ask them if you have this surgery what are the chances you will have to have it again....just some suggestions.  I still do almost everything that i did before....just a little more aware that i will be paying for it the next day or even month.   GOOD luck with whatever you decide.  It has been 7 months and 20 days since my accident and i thank God  everyday i can still even sit up and do things like write this.  So just keep up your spirits too, that i believe did a lot for me in the healing process.

Atvgirl
RTR_380/450R
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 02:12:52 PM »

I appreciate everybody's input. ALOT. I did find out that it is an actual herniated disc. This is what they said.

Concerning the C5/C6 there is a large left paracentral disc herniation measuring about 1 cm at its base and nearly 6 mm in th AP plane which effaces and mildly impinges upon the left ventral aspect of the spinal cord at this level. No signal abnormality of the cord. Mild central canal stenosis is noted at this level measuring 8mm in the AP plane.  Additionally, there is impingement on the descending nerve root at this level. Severe encroachment at the left neural foramen with likely impingement on the exiting nerve roots at this level.

Not my words. Came from the report!

Physical therapy along with meds to decrease inflamation. Hopefully we can get it back into place. That way I can smoke all you fools!!!

Wink

RTR PERFORMANCE ENGINES
trx#9
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 03:20:46 PM »

That way I can smoke all you fools!!!

Excuse me! TskTsk

Fuzzy Pickle race team!
East Coast Dirty Girls

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 03:27:27 PM »

WELL GOOD LUCK WITH THAT.....I REALLY HOPE YOU HAVE A GOOD OUTCOME.

Grin
450rcrazy

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 03:48:52 PM »

RTR

i flipped off the dike at 5A on New years day this year, i fractured a vertebrae in my back, broke my nose, 30 stitches to the back of the head and the worst is that i have had 2 disks that where the bike landed on my head bulged into my spinal cord, causing a cyst.  SOOO short term version is that i am not supposed to do any thing that will cause blunt force trauma to my head or neck EVER!!!  I have neck pain every day (some days  alot better than others) to fix the situation i would have to have a two fusion operation that would put a plate and screws in my neck.  I drive to Gainesville to the sports medicine clinic and i see the doctors that work on the foot ball players for UF.  My DR. (who specializes in neck and spinal injuries) told me since i am 33yrs old if i have the surgery now i will have to have a 3 fusion operation down the road.....due to the fact that it will wear away at my other vertebra's.  I have been where some days to get out of bed i have to physically pick up my head with my hands, but with exercises and A LOT of Advil, some rest, it has gotten 150% better,  I still ride, not like i used to, but i still do.  I am mindful of how i pick things up, so that there is no strain on my neck muscles i try to go to a massage therapy person a couple times a month.  Have a list of questions for your doctor regarding therapy and other ways to maybe improve, if there are none than def ask them if you have this surgery what are the chances you will have to have it again....just some suggestions.  I still do almost everything that i did before....just a little more aware that i will be paying for it the next day or even month.   GOOD luck with whatever you decide.  It has been 7 months and 20 days since my accident and i thank God  everyday i can still even sit up and do things like write this.  So just keep up your spirits too, that i believe did a lot for me in the healing process.

Atvgirl

I am just curious were you wearing a helmet when the accident occured? I pray both you and rtr_380/450r have complete recoveries.
RTR_380/450R
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »

That way I can smoke all you fools!!!

Excuse me! TskTsk

Dirty minded bass turd!!

RTR PERFORMANCE ENGINES
East Coast Dirty Girls

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2007, 07:49:56 PM »

no helment....but this is the one time that i can say that i am glad.  It would of broken my neck the doctors told me if i had one on.  i do have a helment, kids were them even if they move their bikes across the yard.......but i am not gonna lie, i don;t wear it.  Horrible i know..... Huh
450rcrazy

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2007, 08:13:38 PM »

no helment....but this is the one time that i can say that i am glad.  It would of broken my neck the doctors told me if i had one on.  i do have a helment, kids were them even if they move their bikes across the yard.......but i am not gonna lie, i don;t wear it.  Horrible i know..... Huh

I was curious becouse of the stiches and broken nose ,But thank god you are ok sounds like a bad wipe out.I sure hope you can make a full recovery and go back to enjoying life without the pain.
East Coast Dirty Girls

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 09:36:45 AM »

I was curious becouse of the stiches and broken nose ,But thank god you are ok sounds like a bad wipe out.I sure hope you can make a full recovery and go back to enjoying life without the pain.

you would be surprised how much i enjoy life everyday since then.......pain could be worse, so it is just a reminder of what COULD of happened.  I still ride, i do probably everything i have always done before, just a little more mindful of the good times.  It was an accident.....everything happens for a reason!

Thanks for the well wishing though.

digginfool
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2007, 11:46:50 AM »

In June of 2004 I had an auto accident and ended up with a nearly identical radiology report.  The pain down my left arm was quite intense at times, other times I best described it as a bad toothache.  QT pretty much hit it on the head (no surprise since she is a chiro); it takes about a year of chiropractics, PT and meds to get things worked out.  I still have issues from time to time but a few trips to the doc for an adjustment, massage and stretching and I'm pretty well situated again.  I use daily stretching of the neck to keep the muscles from bunching up from the inflamed nerves.  For me, the pain never completely goes away but it is something I can live with.  Ibuprofen (Advil/Motrin) usually works for the pain but I'm not ashamed to take a Percocet along with a Soma if it gets bad enough.  There's no sense being in pain as pain itself propogates more pain. If you are prescribed Percocet, just be careful; it's highly addictive.  Use it only if you absolutely have to.  As far as surgery goes, use it as a last resort.  As QT said, if you stand only a 1/3 of a chance of getting better, there's no sense in risking a 1/3 of a chance of getting a lot worse.  As far as the radiologist goes, he does nothing but sit in front of a screen all day looking at films and does not always see the whole picture.  If he is looking for a herniated disk, that's all he is looking for and might miss something more important.  Your neurologist just might be able to see what the radiologist missed.  Case in point; my neurologist found the 2 cm brain tumor on my MRI that the radiologist missed.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
qt314nfla

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2007, 11:57:50 AM »

I appreciate everybody's input. ALOT. I did find out that it is an actual herniated disc. This is what they said.

Concerning the C5/C6 there is a large left paracentral disc herniation measuring about 1 cm at its base and nearly 6 mm in th AP plane which effaces and mildly impinges upon the left ventral aspect of the spinal cord at this level. No signal abnormality of the cord. Mild central canal stenosis is noted at this level measuring 8mm in the AP plane.  Additionally, there is impingement on the descending nerve root at this level. Severe encroachment at the left neural foramen with likely impingement on the exiting nerve roots at this level.

Not my words. Came from the report!

Physical therapy along with meds to decrease inflamation. Hopefully we can get it back into place. That way I can smoke all you fools!!!

Wink

Exactly what I expected to hear after talking to you the other night.  You should realistically be looking at between 9 mos to a year in chiropractic and physical therapy.  Use the meds as suggested above only when necessary as the pain can perpetuate more muscle spasm and thus more pain.  You know how to reach me if you need me to help you find someone to help you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com