Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lee County tries to opt out of SFWMD  (Read 1014 times)
lswjth2
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 04, 2006, 06:45:40 PM »

Monday, December 4, 2006

Lee County commissioners will ask the state Legislature to allow the county to withdraw from the South Florida Water Management District and create a Caloosahatchee Basin Board.

Frustrated and angry commissioners agreed unanimously Monday to push for the move. Commissioner Tammy Hall argued against the move, saying she feels progress has been made since she came on the board two years ago, and Commissioner Frank Mann, himself a former district board member as well as a state legislator, said he feels the proposal has littlee chance of passing. Both went along with the motion to express their own continuing frustrations with the district.

Chairman Bob Janes said working with the district is no use.

"It hasn't worked," he said. "I'm absolutely and categorically furious that they won't even talk about treatment for water coming down the Caloosahatchee. I've about had it with the concilliatory approach. They do it their way and their way, period."

Judah was angered by recent comments by district board member Bubba Wade, a U.S. Sugar vice president, who said agriculture in the Everglades Agricultural Area is a public use and should be allowed to use public lands. Judah feels the district and Corps of Engineers manage the district for the benefit of agricultural interests to the detriment of coastal environments.

"I's not in our best interests to have him on the governing board and it's not in our best interests to continue to try to get along with them," he said.

The legislative delegation will hold local hearings on Dec. 18.

New Commissioner Brian Bigelow, who ran on a platform of fighting the district, said having the county be part of the district is a "sick relationship."

"It's very clear to me it's Us versus Them," he said.

Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 07:02:28 PM »

ouch.

very interesting though.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com