Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I think its jumped time  (Read 2972 times)
yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 16, 2006, 08:31:49 AM »

I have a 2001 Polaris sportsman 500HO that has been run hard and put up wet many times before I got it. It was running fine but I started hearing a slap on the right side. It almost sounded like a belt slap but on the wrong side of the quad. I went to back out of a little hole and reved it up a little and it just like quit running. I messed with it and finally after trying a while, got it fired up but it had no power at all and the tailpipe seemed to get hot quick. It eventually would shut off. I could keep trying to start and eventually it would start, just not rev up high and then shut off. I think its jumped time. I have never done any motor work on one but am fairly mechanically inclined. How hard would this be to fix or am I on track to think its the timing. I am not taking it to a dealer so gotta do it myself or find someone who can.

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo
MachineDog
Supreme Member

Ride Red!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 11:47:25 AM »

I'd either take it to a shop or to ATP. I think it's time to get ATP to do work to it. Smiley

http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg
06 Rancher 350 4x4 - K&N, 1.5" Snorkel, 26" Mudbugs.
Spot Reserved for Big Bore.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/ - Click to see our pics.
JayZ400

http://ecperformanceminiquad.com/index.html

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 10:58:30 PM »

Sounds like it jumped time. I had a 300ex that jumped time because the timing chain stretched. It ended up bending a valve. I would not run it any more until you figure out what is going on.

For all you Mini Quad performance parts, and mods
http://ecperformanceminiquad.com/
Your Apex Dealer
BIGWORM3699 ( ECP RACING)
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 11:00:55 PM »

Sounds like it jumped time. I had a 300ex that jumped time because the timing chain stretched. It ended up bending a valve. I would not run it any more until you figure out what is going on.

I agree.

East Coast Performance Mini Quad is your
Official Apex and DRR mini quad dealer, For your mini quad performance parts and tuning needs.
2013 polaris ranger camo
KINGQUAD, 29.5 outlaws,snorkled,rad. relocate, clutch mod.
APEX, stage6 RT 70, elka,mallosi overrange,PVL ign.
qt314nfla

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 11:38:05 PM »

That slapping problem is common for polaris owners.  It's the owner trying to slap it's arse to get it going.  You may have seen this before in the movie Seabiscuit or at the horse racing tracks.

How to solve the problem....get rid of your poolaris and get a real bike.
yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 08:14:39 AM »

That slapping problem is common for polaris owners.  It's the owner trying to slap it's arse to get it going.  You may have seen this before in the movie Seabiscuit or at the horse racing tracks.

How to solve the problem....get rid of your poolaris and get a real bike.

Wrong answer, LOL Cannot get rid of the the number one quad on the market. Unless someone has some serious cash. LOL

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 07:42:02 PM »

The exact same thing happened to mine, but luckily Silent Bob took care of the problem.

Silent Bob's an electrical genius. He won the science fair in eight grade by turning his mom's vibrator into a C.D. player using chicken-wire and stuff. Mother truckers like MacGyver! No, mother truckers better than MacGyver!

UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."
PREDOCROSS

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 08:02:52 PM »

My Sportsman was making this annoying whining noise, turns out I had a honda stuck under it. Every ones O.K. though, the guy riding the honda said he's used to being stuck. Boxer
450rcrazy

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 08:15:50 PM »

Wrong answer, LOL Cannot get rid of the the number one quad on the market. Unless someone has some serious cash. LOL

cant get rid of it cause no one want's it lol.and your the one who needs serious cash to replace it.

just kidding ,was the slapping sound near the timming chain area.chain may have jummped time could be due to streach or a bad tensioner.If it was on the drive belt side some have sensors that put the bike into a sort of safe mode after the belt has streached to far.Good luck getin her fixed hope there is no serious dammage .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com