Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: routine maintnece  (Read 2974 times)
ryanrocksfender

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 27, 2006, 09:06:21 PM »

whats some routine maitnence that you should do on quads?
Captain The Morgan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 09:25:12 PM »

1) Clean and oil your air filter.
2) Clean your exhaust screen
3) Change your oil every few rides. (more often if you're running a race quad)
4) Keep your chain clean and at the proper tension
5) Lube, Lube, and more lube.

Good luck.
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 11:12:04 PM »

instead of cleaning the exhaust screen, i pull them out and forget to put them back in.
450rcrazy

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 08:10:52 PM »

dont forget to lube the muffler bearings ,change the blinker fluid and prepare your tires for the fall season by putting in a can of winter air into each tire. Wink
kfx400rob
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 08:20:04 PM »

most important is to clean the filter often, and keep the chain right as said above, but trust me you do not have to change your oil every few rides.

06 kfx400
00 ez-go with rotax 503.
01 gmc 2500 d-max.
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 08:31:10 PM »

most important is to clean the filter often, and keep the chain right as said above, but trust me you do not have to change your oil every few rides.

Yeah, I wouldn't change it ever ride if I had a Kawasaki, but I have/had a Honda 450 with a hop up kit.

The internal temperatures are the highest of all the quads. It's a good idea and relatively simple to do.

UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."
snowmanzz13
Supreme Member

when are we going riding?

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 09:26:43 PM »

i just changed the oill today in my bombardier ds650 today, it has only been a couple of months since the last time, but i found tons of metal shavings on the oil plug(magnetic) i think it's time to find out whats shaving, but yeah, oil, air filter, tire pressure, just a once over for loose nuts and bolts, and thats about it

banshee Sad for sale
blaster 200 gone
ds 650   for sale
odyssey   for sale
polaris sportsman 700   for sale
helmets save lives, so wear one!!

http://www.myspace.com/954snowmann
B.MURRAy

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 09:40:31 PM »

My Maintenance TO DO List

#1: Washing
Use a good ATV Wash, a degreaser of some sort, and tire shine to keep your tires in good shape.
#2: Clean airfilter
Remove airbox lid, remove airfilter, clean the airbox thoroughly making sure there isnt any loose debris around the intake (removing airbox to wash is always a good idea).  Remove inner cone on the airfilter and rinse your airfilter in solvent, if you dont have solvent any air filter cleaner will do.  After that I like to rub liquid soap into it to make sure there isnt any solvent left over or dirt.  Ring it out, set it aside to dry (or if your impatient use a hairdryer Roll Eyes)  Rub in airfilter oil thoroughly.  Clean inner cone, replace the inner cone on the airfilter, if you want put a ring of waterproof grease on the cone side of the filter to insure a better seal.
#3: Change oil
Changing the oil in a Sport quad is best every 5-10 hours of ride time depending on how hard you ride, for a Utility quad changing the oil every month or so is adequate.
#4: Clean Carb
Remove carb, use a airhose to blow out all vent hoses and jets.  Before re-attaching the carb make sure there isnt any debris in the exhaust intake of the air box boot.
#5: Inspect brakes
Take a good look at your brakes and change your brake fluid.  While you have the calipers off take a Brilo pad and scrub them down to take off any dirt.
#6: Flush Cooling System
After a hard day of riding I would do this, just drain it and add your half and half mix of coolant and water.
#7: Check sparkplug
It isnt the biggest thing to do, but for a few bucks its the easiest.  Keep old plugs and put them in a ziploc bag and bring them with you incase you foul a plug
#8: Change Wheel Bearings
Take off your wheel hubs and repack the bearings using waterproof grease.
#9: [bBattery[/b]
Disconnect it and clean off any acid buildup, when its clean give it a good charging for the heck of it.
#10: Electrical
Water and mud can get into the connections and cause a short, or just come loose on their own so check them out and blow dirt out with a airhose
#11: Clean chain
Use a wire brush and scrub your chain and sprockets, give it a few coats of chain lube to.
#12: Check and tighten all nuts and bolts
This is the MOST important and is a MUST DO!  Any bolts you can see, check them and tighten them, you dont want to fall apart on the trails!

-B.Murray

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com