Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Where would you like to see an OHV park open ?
St Lucie Area
Palm Beach Area
Broward Area
Miami Area
Naples Area

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need members input ! Please read ! Riding area  (Read 19816 times)
Thrumud
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2006, 12:44:29 PM »

At our last meeting, John Waldron from the Department of Forestry advised all of us to do our part by searching for potential land around Florida for an ATV park. Try to identify land that is state, county, or city owned. There are two ways to do this, one is to go to your county’s zoning department and ask for a “future land use map”. This map will identify areas that are residential, commercial, industrial and agricultural.  What to look for … Try to identify open land away from residential areas and protected areas. These maps will also identify county land; this is the land to look for. The other way is to use a county's GIS system, but this can become complicated for some. The OHV committee can only assist us on public land not private. Remember the only way we can get these areas open to OHV use is by grants from the state. The OHV committee acts as a middle man.  So, if you know of a potential site, make a note of it and e-mail it to me or present it at the next OHV meeting. The committee will then look into the site and do their research. This is not an over night process, it could take a few years but no more than two years.

I still haven't given up hope regarding Mecca Farms in Palm Beach County.  Perhaps with the backing of the OHV committee, a dialogue could begin.  The Commissioners have no interest in dealing individually with a few ATVers.  Perhaps an organizational approach with the possibility of Grant monies might be more enticing to them.

By and large Mecca Farms would be an ideal location.

Perfect !  You said it best !   Rick Varela from Naples and I have tried to set up meetings with individuals that love this recreation, and guess what ... Just a hand full show up.  I personally think that we are not well organized as a user group to battle local government officials, that’s why we need the OHV committee. Below is some information on what the OHV committee can do for us.  These guys are the ones to tackle the hard task.

Please check out this link http://www.fl-dof.com/forest_recreation/ohv_appendix.html

Thrumud
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2006, 12:47:36 PM »

If someone would please tell me where MECA FARMS is, send me a map or link. I keep hearing about this location alot.  I will like to send this to the committee.

paul450

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2006, 01:23:56 PM »

at the end of seminole pratt whitney road across the street from Corbit wildlife area south west entrance.  basicly mecca farms starts north of 100th lane north on the east side of pratt whitney till pratt whitney ends. btw.. seminole pratt is the road that the star is on running north and south.  I believe it boarders part of lake park marsh.. the PBSO deputy that posts here might know the boarders better..

http://beta.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=US&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&addtohistory=&cat=&address=9557+seminole+pratt+whitney+rd&city=&state=fl&zipcode=33470
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 01:31:29 PM by paul450 » Logged
xr100racer

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2006, 01:47:25 PM »

st. lucie for sure. there are a ton of people in this area that ride atvs in ft. pierce and vero. just about everyone and their brother has got a wheeler. st. lucie is about 45 mins from me in vero. and i am almost 100% positive that vero is the number one city for illegal riding of atvs. there are some good spots here but honestly i hear from people just about everyday getting caught by the cops or wild life guys or whoever drives the cop trucks for tresspassing or i know the people myself geting en trouble and i have had my fair share with run ins with the cops. just this past weekend we had to leave our normal riding spot which we thought was all right when someone decided to drag race on the road up front then run from the cops. he got caught and bike impounded. they had a tow truck up front and told everyone if they didnt load up immediatly they were gunna start arresting people and putting their bikes on the trucks.
Thrumud
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2006, 01:50:11 PM »

Is it very wet out there ? Is this Government property ? Are ther any private owners in side there area ?

Imagine an ATV park there !!!!   Good Lord !   That area would be great, even if they were to give 1/4 of it. Has anyone tried to obtain this area for an OHV park before ?

Thrumud
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2006, 02:08:43 PM »

st. lucie for sure. there are a ton of people in this area that ride atvs in ft. pierce and vero. just about everyone and their brother has got a wheeler. st. lucie is about 45 mins from me in vero. and i am almost 100% positive that vero is the number one city for illegal riding of atvs. there are some good spots here but honestly i hear from people just about everyday getting caught by the cops or wild life guys or whoever drives the cop trucks for tresspassing or i know the people myself geting en trouble and i have had my fair share with run ins with the cops. just this past weekend we had to leave our normal riding spot which we thought was all right when someone decided to drag race on the road up front then run from the cops. he got caught and bike impounded. they had a tow truck up front and told everyone if they didnt load up immediatly they were gunna start arresting people and putting their bikes on the trucks.

A spot in St Lucie would be great.  Based on your info, you guys really need to get it together and contact your county commissioners.  Someone needs to step up to the plate and tell these county officials that there is a problem and there needs to be a solution.  Lee County acknowledged the problem and said to themselves, it’s better to open a place than to have riders killed or trespassing on private property. 

To be honest, some of these county officials aren’t that bright.  Think about it, The county open an OHV park, they operate it – that’s revenue for the county. California has OHV parks that produce over 3 billion dollars a year. If you proposed this to a commissioner who is willing to listen to you and teach him a thing or two, trust me they will reconsider.  Some of these commissioners think they have to use county tax money, and they don’t.  There are grants !

Understand that there are several obstacles in opening an OHV park, it’s a long process….. Start now!  I can help along with the OHV committee to get the ball rolling but I can’t do it alone.  I am willing to travel at my own expense to help anyone. I mean it.

indianjoe
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2006, 04:37:22 PM »

Were working on it..have an election coming up and have to get John Bruhn elected in as county commissioner in Saint Lucie County. Already have Ken Waters in now have to get John in..They both have agreed to revisit the ATV PArk issue. Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 05:02:59 PM by indianjoe » Logged
MuddyGirlatTheHump

Dirty Pretty Things!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2006, 04:52:38 PM »

Thrumud ....  Sorry I did not attend the meeting in Ft. Myers. I got ill then my daughter, but whatever. Please inform me as to what happened there.

Palm beach would be a good location as for being some what central for many. Those of us from Dade, Monroe and broward that ride Holey Land make the drive for the most part already!

paul450

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2006, 05:49:04 PM »

they built a retention pond by a major canal in the vary north west of it.  that's the only place i've been on that property. the land prob. holds some water during wet season  just like the corbit area next to it.   I doubt anyone has land inside it.   it is by far is the best spot in pb county due to how far houses and everything else is. there are a couple more places off b-line hwy that would come close..
Thrumud
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2006, 01:48:59 AM »

Were working on it..have an election coming up and have to get John Bruhn elected in as county commissioner in Saint Lucie County. Already have Ken Waters in now have to get John in..They both have agreed to revisit the ATV PArk issue. Grin Grin Grin

This is great news, what ever happens - Don't Quit !

banana-man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2006, 08:18:57 AM »

Sarasota/Manatee/Pinellas
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com