Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: love bugs  (Read 3973 times)
mikeE36
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2006, 12:44:15 AM »

god i hate these things. it seems like there out worse then usual this year. when do these things go away?
1FasterBlaster

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 09:13:34 PM »

Everytime you wash them.LOL
qt314nfla

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 09:16:38 PM »

Everytime you wash them.LOL

Now that was funny sheiot right there.
Moose
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 09:39:40 PM »

Actually we are lucky now, there are a lot less of them now than back in 1970.

Back then they would turn a white house almost black, there would be so many on it.
You would have to use a razor blade scraper to get them off the windshield. They would be as thick as carpet.
I worked at a big car wash, and we would have to send cars through maybe 8-10 times, plus scrub by hand.

Not so bad now, but still a pain.

LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen
Patricia Pearce
Supreme Member

"ANOTHER EXTREME EVENT"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 09:45:56 PM »

They are usually all gone by June. If the rain would start on a daily basis they will go away faster!
They have been worse in the past, but I don't like having to wash the front of my truck everytime I go somewhere either.

Patti

"ANOTHER EXTREME EVENT"
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 09:53:54 PM »

there was a ton of them out at ext last sunday
RAD 450r
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 10:27:00 PM »

They were terrible at croom last weekend, in the coolers and everywhere, wouldnt go away

XC FTR #28C
-KFX450R, Hipers
- Silver L
qt314nfla

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 10:38:00 PM »

I wanna know what happens to these bugs the rest of the year.  Why is it that I've lived all over the county and this seems to be the only place w/ them?  How is it that they are native to Florida and what makes them decide that my truck is their bed this time of the year?  I wanna know why it is that they get to christen my new truck and I haven't even gone there?
Moose
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 11:31:20 PM »

I've heard all kinds of things about them over the years.

1. Brought in to fight mosquitoes, was told they eat them.
2. They are attracted to carbon monoxide, that's why they are thick by the highways.
3. They are changing the name of them to airline bugs, they fly united.

Don't know where they came from, but they were 10 times worse in the 70's.

LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen
Hondarider22

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 12:13:53 AM »

i heard somthing about them being created at usf or somthing, im not sure lol

but for the first time ever i caught a couple in my helmet and goggles at bartow while riding there track, they get really annoying  Undecided
apkkfx400

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 08:12:52 AM »

I wanna know what happens to these bugs the rest of the year.  Why is it that I've lived all over the county and this seems to be the only place w/ them?  How is it that they are native to Florida and what makes them decide that my truck is their bed this time of the year?  I wanna know why it is that they get to christen my new truck and I haven't even gone there?

now that's funny.  If at all interested, check this out.....

http://www.snopes.com/critters/lurkers/lovebugs.htm
yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 10:22:31 AM »

These overly amorous critters are native to Central America; the best guess as to how they came to these United States places them as undiscovered stowaways who arrived by ship in Galveston or New Orleans around 1920. They migrated into Florida in 1947 from Louisiana, looked around, liked what they saw, and decided to stay. Their natural capacity for reproduction took care of the rest.

So does this mean we can sue the state of Louisiana for bringing them here. I mean everyone nowadays sue the state for what happened to their families back in the early nineties, that we had nothing to do with and collects millions and millions of dollars. HMMMMMMMMMM.....

Any lawyers in the house wanta be my representative. LOL

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo
Loven It
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 11:00:46 AM »

now that's funny.  If at all interested, check this out.....

http://www.snopes.com/critters/lurkers/lovebugs.htm

I thought they were man made! Thanks for the link

99 Honda 400ex
01 Polaris Trailblazer
06 Honda 90cc
05 Kazuma 50cc

https://www.nationalmssociety.org//FLC/personal/default.asp?pa=52649935&pd=FLC0EMS120060429WWT
SpringHill Riderz

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 01:14:18 PM »

yeah, I washed our Jeep yesterday and I was out for about 2 hours just getting them off the front.  And they are attracted to Carbon Monoxide from cars like Moose said, and the color white  Roll Eyes.  Thank god we have a red jeep now.  We should all just be thankful them soab's dont bite like horseflies or something  Shocked
Moose
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 01:33:52 PM »

We should all just be thankful them soab's dont bite like horseflies or something  Shocked

Isn't that the truth, we would be in trouble.

One thing I used to do back when they were real bad, was to place a water sprinkler in front of the car and let water run over all the bugs.
Let it run for an hour or two, makes it a lot easier to clean them off. Be sure to park the car on the grass so you get the lawn somewhat watered at the same time.

backinsaddle

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2006, 02:07:52 PM »

One thing I used to do back when they were real bad, was to place a water sprinkler in front of the car and let water run over all the bugs.
Let it run for an hour or two, makes it a lot easier to clean them off. Be sure to park the car on the grass so you get the lawn somewhat watered at the same time.

Or lay a wet towel on them.  I also use a plastic sponge kinda like one of those plastic loofas <sp?>.  It's made by auto magic, and it doesn't scratch the paint...works great on all bugs/tar, etc.

you can find it here: http://magicgarage.biz/dnn/Default.aspx?tabid=73  E-Z Scrub Sponge.  Don't know if anyone else makes something comparable
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com